Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

However I have a big pet peeve with falling leaf.  Making 3 "turns" in a row on the same edge is not snowboarding IMO.  It's just a glorified version of what little kids do when they think they're snowboarding but really not yet. 

It counts as snowboarding to me.  Being able to do many variations of every turn regular and switch and go between the two effortlessly I think is part of being a well rounded snowboarder.   Cool clip, one of the better ones I've seen with switch turns on such a forward stance.  

Edited by kitejumping

1 hour ago, crackaddict said:

The final public version is up!  I know you're all subscribers anyway, but just in case anyone missed it...

Always nice to watch bigger sidecut turns, you really get to slow down the movements a bit and have time to enjoy each turn a bit more.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 7:14 PM, Pat Donnelly said:

Posi/Posi on Stranda Biru 

recent press on the Biru
https://www.mensjournal.com/pursuits/out-of-the-office/stranda-biru-snowboard

The Men'sUrinal reviewer lost me at 157 being a big board and not having a long rockered nose.  The quiver of one is a myth, because you can't get everything when you compromise.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

angles  30 f    6 b ?   what bindings?  what stick ?  

Nice turns  🙂 

Thanks! 30f and 21r. Felt pretty good for mobility. Nidecker Kaon cx bindings I got from Shred. Board is a Jones Ultracraft I've been using as my hardboot pow stick.  

33 minutes ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Thanks! 30f and 21r. Felt pretty good for mobility. Nidecker Kaon cx bindings I got from Shred. Board is a Jones Ultracraft I've been using as my hardboot pow stick.  

Nice riding!!! Must be the bindings!😉

There's an interesting oxess 166 for sale ...lol

Edited by Shred Gruumer

20 minutes ago, b.free said:

Almost..))

Ok. I know it's not as close when you ride insane angles 😆

I did see some kid ripping on his first "hardboot" setup. It was almost a skwal and he mounted his softboot bindings 70+. @ktv and I saw him ripping down Schoolmarm on his first day.

Previously, I thought the kid was out of his ****ing mind when he rode the lift with us.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Odd Job said:

Ok. I know it's not as close when you ride insane angles 😆

I did see some kid ripping on his first "hardboot" setup. It was almost a skwal and he mounted his softboot bindings 70+. @ktv and I saw him ripping down Schoolmarm on his first day.

Previously, I thought the kid was out of his ****ing mind when he rode the lift with us.

70+ on softboots?!)) lol

• Haha 1

Interesting...

I was surprised at the circular arm movement before each turn, I have seen it, on the Heelside only before, I think this is a Learned technique?  normally?  One tries to reduce unnecessary Arm movements, it is a Key for this rider however, who is a Good Carver...

22 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

Interesting...

I was surprised at the circular arm movement before each turn, I have seen it, on the Heelside only before, I think this is a Learned technique?  normally?  One tries to reduce unnecessary Arm movements, it is a Key for this rider however, who is a Good Carver...

Unusual style but there’s no doubt he’s gettin’ it done!!!

luv it

Watching the video slowed down the arm rotation motion happens exactly at turn transition. The arm comes up first potentially aiding unweighting of the uphill edge, then strongly downward towards the nose of the board potentially helping a down weighting to set the new carving edge.

• Like 1

The fact that other people can successfully change directions without that arm swing means it's just his personal flair. 

To each their own! Not for me, but if it gets clicks then rock on. 

• Like 1

i'm pretty sure that arm movements are a scored technique considered in Japanese technical riding competition. body positioning, etc. the arms are the flare for sure; controlled may or may not score better. i don't know for sure. however, the arms are raising opposite from what is normally practiced. this rider has graduated! concept understood, but can be difficult to grasp for what is considered good technique, etc. from a worldly point of view. just my observational 2 cents.

Edited by dhamann