Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

3 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

So… this is a Technique ? Is it a necessary function ? or a Style ? Is it helping Response time into transitions or slowing it down?  

It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

All I can say is sit next to someone in the airport or on a plane or bus, and watch them swipe swipe swipe pause on Instagram.  Crazy reels = likes 

But damn, that’s the floppiest, loosest style ever.   Alas, someone will modify and incorporate that into an even crazier reel, maybe with a knuckle huck dressed as the Easter bunny or a cliff jump over burning logs after parachuting…

(Note crafty incorporation of the rabbit theme into my response)

Edited by CB Utah

On 3/4/2024 at 5:38 AM, softbootsurfer said:

So… this is a Technique ? Is it a necessary function ? or a Style ? Is it helping Response time into transitions or slowing it down?  

It’s a technique he’s adopted to speed up transitions. 

The best way to characterize it would be to say that he’s reminding himself at the end / start of each turn that he needs to be quick edge to edge and immediately develop lots of edge angle.

Call it an aggression cue  

You could also see him do a few turns on flatter terrain where he doesn’t use as much sparkle… if the terrain doesn’t require a criticality of immediate and maximal movement, he just “anticipates” without so much flair. 

18 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

I understand why, is it helping or hurting, this could be a Slalom exercise...If it was a Slalom, I believe the Jerkiness of his movements, would Add to his overall time...slowing him down...

Go easy, friends. “He” might be the Kid at the Assembly, all growed up…

Extremely nice and solid carving, IMHO!

I Bought a board specifically for that kind of carving which I call Korean Karving, i.e. Nobile N8 158! As you would expect I still can’t carve like that guy does. IF I ever did cut a half dozen turns like that my quads would send me straight to the bar or my car!

• 2 weeks later...

Got some new footage and some new boards!

As usual, pre-release for my homies.  Add your own soundtrack, I'm working on a long voiceover for this one - coming soon.  Turns out I have a lot to say.  Who knew?

This was yesterday and the day before, on the newest JJA prototype soft-boot carvers.  Introducing Daniel K, one of my near-local proteges.

Edited by crackaddict
  • Like 1

Howdy😀 I am a softboot carver based in California. I would love to discuss anything carving related and get to know other carvers out there!

Here is my raw footage from last weekend. Please excuse the picture quality.

• Like 6

On 3/4/2024 at 7:36 AM, Corey said:

The fact that other people can successfully change directions without that arm swing means it's just his personal flair. 

To each their own! Not for me, but if it gets clicks then rock on. 

It’s flair, but feels a bit faint hearted. I would prefer two or three hand circles presenting each new turn, like a magician or wizard.

• Haha 3

On 3/21/2024 at 4:50 PM, softbootsurfer said:

This put a Smile on my face...nothing here but some turns...

This Season in particular, there is a major shift going on in SB Riding...at least here at Milkland they are wanting to Carve...

Glad to see it...  

A whole lot of nothing on the carving front other than that one toeside…..but damn nice cord and a great vibe, really cool video!