Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Jack M said:

Great to see young people carving, especially girls, but man that is some massive chatter on every heelside.

Jack, maybe since it is worse on the backside ( heel ), also there slightly frontside ( Toe ) could be the Rocker rather than losing the Edge...I dislike Rocker for that very reason, it wrecks my Track with the Flutter yet serves no real purpose, I was fine without it, but it shows mostly on Backside  (Heel ) turns because of the length of overall edge... just a thought and it disappears with enough angulation, at least for me on my Sticks

20 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

Jack, maybe since it is worse on the backside ( heel ), also there slightly frontside ( Toe ) could be the Rocker rather than losing the Edge...I dislike Rocker for that very reason, it wrecks my Track with the Flutter yet serves no real purpose, I was fine without it, but it shows mostly on Backside  (Heel ) turns because of the length of overall edge... just a thought and it disappears with enough angulation, at least for me on my Sticks

Probably a better word for this than chatter is oscillation, because you're right she's not losing the edge.  I think oscillation can happen for a number of reasons - not enough edge angle for your sidecut radius and speed, wrong fore/aft weight placement, too much speed for your sidecut radius.  She may be doing all three.  Jamming her knees together like Craig Kelly is not helping her overcome it.  This probably causes her to ride front foot heavy on heelside.  I think on toeside most people naturally fall into a good position which prevents oscillation.

When you say rocker do you mean nose rocker (decamber)?  If so, I'm not sure that has anything to do with oscillation.  Nose rocker helps absorb terrain and also lets the nose slice more than plow.  It blends the upturn of the nose with the shape of the sidecut when it is up on edge.

18 hours ago, west carven said:

these softboot girls are more dynamic than most hardbooters clean safe boring turns on mellow hills

Funny comment to make while posting a video of a softbooter doing clean(ish) safe turns on mellow hills.

• Haha 1

Haha yup, I thought the Craig Kelly stance was interesting too!! I can’t quite figure out why she’s angled like that…on toeside her butt seems like it’s a foot behind her rear boot but her knee is still well forward, quite the pretzel. 

@west carven do they say what board these riders are on? 

Anyway I have a soft spot for the Craig Kelly triangle and that style of riding would turn lots of heads in my hood! 

18 hours ago, Jack M said:

When you say rocker do you mean nose rocker (decamber)?  If so, I'm not sure that has anything to do with oscillation.  Nose rocker helps absorb terrain and also lets the nose slice more than plow.  It blends the upturn of the nose with the shape of the sidecut when it is up on edge.

Yes, Nose Rocker,  it causes Flutter in the Track, at certain angulations, it is an Unnecessary addition, Heelsides in Particular, two different arcs...I can say from personal experience and many years now of Pow, that it was never needed in the first place...IMO  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

Yes, Nose Rocker,  it causes Flutter in the Track, at certain angulations, it is an Unnecessary addition, Heelsides in Particular, two different arcs...I can say from personal experience and many years now of Pow, that it was never needed in the first place...IMO  

I wonder if it is only a problem on softer boards.  Race boards have been using nose rocker for years with great success.

3 hours ago, Jack M said:

I wonder if it is only a problem on softer boards.  Race boards have been using nose rocker for years with great success.

I'd say it's the effect of the nose rise too steep and/or flex, sidecut and rise not being in tune, so the edge tracks well at some angulation, but not at another. With the softboots boards being shorter and having tighter SCRs, it is easier to go off. Purely from my eyeballing of several boards, the upturn is often too intense. I've seen it on some alpine boards too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, barryj said:

Wow......I would have freaked to be reviewing the footage later and to have seen that chasing me!

Any idea where she's at??

Don’t worry about it; they only go after people who aren’t wearing helmets. They hate removing the packaging to get to the juicy center.

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2023 at 8:07 AM, softbootsurfer said:

I have two different camber profile 165 Alloy DO's. one has decamber/nose & tail rocker and one without. The decamber board is more friendly and playful while the full camber is the one I prefer. Its happiest in the back seat on heelside espcially exiting a turn. 13.5/105/11.5 Can be a handful in some conditions but i like the energy on the exit that the smaller tail radius provides in good carving conditions.