Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 3:50 PM, west carven said:

howdy

I put this on here a long time ago as a link as it did not want to embed so here it is again …

this is one of the very few carvers (in video) that completes his turns with great style … 

I'm guilty of rodeo hand every now and then but he really needs to work on his. 

seriously, try running gates with your hands behind your Hips, yea, the parties over

when not running gates we can get too relaxed, but calling that out on these vids. to put some kind of Critique on some Beautiful riding, is simply being a tad judgmental...more than anything West, all these Vids. you post show a lot of Happy People Carving turns...Thank You  

• Like 2

Peace and love y'all.  not everything is an attack 🙂  

interesting...  I took it differently.  Don't think anyone deny those are awesome rider/great video.
Intent isn't to critique/poke hole (as beauty is in the eye of the beholder).
I myself rodeo hand and trying to figure out what i am doing wrong.  Education/discussion purpose.

in my naive way of thinking It had something to do body positioning/timing.  ie:  my body is in the wrong place or there is something un-expected had occurred (snow condition).

on easy/mellow trail with good condition; no rodeo hand.

under more challenging condition; my hands seems to have mind of it's own (it's getting better).

it's a signal; i am just trying to better understand what it's telling me.  or maybe that's just normal for aggressive riding. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, west carven said:

howdy softbootsurfer

ah … It was Jack M that pointed it out … then I noticed it too … but these are great riders in my eyes … that is why I post it here … 

howdy

there is many more good Korean carving on the link side on the youtube page … so more to come … 

The Korean riders i think have the best style. Less "Rodeo hand" and a great smooth fall line drive. All amazing riders for sure but this style is just buttery to me. Team Edge Plus from Korea absolutely slays this.

howdy

so the thing about the Korean riders is they all do it. the beautiful grooming just lends itself to carving. there is no little dips and rollers or bumps in the seams. all the runs are bulldozed smooth like a Zamboni went thru it in the summer then when they groom the snow the grooming is perfectly smooth... here is an on snow video service that takes videos of carving snowboarders. you will not see any jibbers and everyone is on a high end soft carver. not the best carving, but everyone carves and tries to have good form... 

IMHO 😂

I would equate the SB carving vids here to Classical Music, where as the Typical Herky Jerky HB FIS racing vids. to a  Heavy metal sound...there are HB racing courses that allow really good Flow through the gates via Slope and Set, but, that is not the norm...actually many here years ago pleaded for a more GS approach to Gate settings...there are more ACTUAL Carving turns here on this Thread, watching HB racing with people flailing all over and skidding their turns out of necessity is quite unpleasant to watch, adding of course that I am not attacking the Athletes, only the courses they are forced to use...it was the same with skiing, sometimes the sets were just ridiculous...

• 2 weeks later...

Ash, above, has really nasty "Rodeo hand". @ 1:25 🤣

See below. Not meaning to cause offence.

He (Ash) is having fun at that point in the video. His actual carving is stylish, powerful, and worth watching.

Edited by SunSurfer
Apology to west carven.

On 4/28/2022 at 11:45 PM, west carven said:

howdy

so the thing about the Korean riders is they all do it. the beautiful grooming just lends itself to carving. there is no little dips and rollers or bumps in the seams. all the runs are bulldozed smooth like a Zamboni went thru it in the summer then when they groom the snow the grooming is perfectly smooth... here is an on snow video service that takes videos of carving snowboarders. you will not see any jibbers and everyone is on a high end soft carver. not the best carving, but everyone carves and tries to have good form...

I've ridden a few days in Korea, the weather is extremely cold and dry, the snow is almost all manmade so is very firm, but has less to push against than natural snow; really stand into the turn and the edge breaks away sometimes; so I know from seeing them ski and also carve that they are actually often quite gentle in their pressure and start of the turn rather than stomping into the beginning as you might do in perfect snow conditions.

I remember a constant stream of wrist and other injuries, when I was there for a week every day was like you see in the videos, but extremely firm.  Great for carving, so there were quite a few carvers, but still it's mostly beginners and intermediates on the hill, steeper runs are a lot of technical skiers and boarders, not many bumps or other things just man made trails mostly cut into reasonably steep hills.

I don't see this "rodeo hand" as an unnatural thing; the guy rides with quite a bit of rotation, finishes his toe side as Jack said and then the hand kind of has to go somewhere so he uses it to pull through his hillside turn to drive his rotation as well as the weight transfer in the first 1/2 of the turn; in those conditions where the edge might let go he is finessing it a bit and has included it into his riding style.  Probably a habit he could lose, but he's many rungs above most carving soft (and hard) booters. A joy to watch.

The skiers in Korea a lot seemed to have some very stiff arm and shoulder positions even more so than the Japanese  vs. the more natural flow of a more typical solid US skier; I put some of that down to the snow conditions they ride in and the progression the way they are taught.    

Edited by kipstar
  • Like 1