Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No doubt about it these guys get it done!

I bought two new boards for this season because of vids like these…as if that’s going to make a difference, LOL!!!

IF I could even link up a few turns like these my quads would send me packing after one short run. 

• Like 2

howdy

so this is an old one from 2016/2017 that got posted a year ago ...

Never Ending Story - ASIA Style Carving 5,584 views Dec 18, 2021 At the request of many people, the video on Vimeo is transferred to YouTube and uploaded. Shoting in KOREA, JAPAN, CHINA (2016-2017) This video was taken 5 years ago. ... 

this is a repost cause worth watching again ... excellent riding ... 

On 10/9/2022 at 9:52 PM, kitejumping said:

The carving softboot scene over there looks so rad, would be awesome to have like 20 snowboard carvers all hanging out and taking turns tearing up a run in CO like that one day. 

you guys need to ride with us at loveland on a sunday

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

No kidding!!! Hanging on to a couple of those turns and you could strike a match on my quads!!!

I’ve been trying those leg blasters and every time I do them my lower back hurts. 

I have upped my angles on my daily (have qty 2x-Alloy DO 165) to 39/27 on DO #2 from 36/24 on DO #1 and on my dedicated Go-fast carver (Alloy AZX1 163) to 42/30 from 39/27. Lets see if that helps on the burn...I still like 12* of splay

As I watch these videos I notice that virtually all of them put a hand and/or forearm down on every turn. I have long taught myself to not put an hand down because 1) I don't want a dislocated finger, wrist or shoulder and 2) I don't want to rip up my clothing. 

However, to get anywhere near as low as these riders is it a forgone conclusion that you must put a hand down on toeside and heelside?

When I watch the hardbooters I admire most, the best ones just barely put a hand down occasionally. One HB in particular appears to have a magnetic repulsion between his hand & the slope. The closer his hand gets, the repulsive force seems to increase as the inverse square law.  

1 hour ago, JohnE said:

As I watch these videos I notice that virtually all of them put a hand and/or forearm down on every turn. I have long taught myself to not put an hand down because 1) I don't want a dislocated finger, wrist or shoulder and 2) I don't want to rip up my clothing. 

However, to get anywhere near as low as these riders is it a forgone conclusion that you must put a hand down on toeside and heelside?

When I watch the hardbooters I admire most, the best ones just barely put a hand down occasionally. One HB in particular appears to have a magnetic repulsion between his hand & the slope. The closer his hand gets, the repulsive force seems to increase as the inverse square law.  

image.jpeg.087eb6d77e134443a27adea54e8fcb22.jpeg

• Like 2

I was going to post some "toyfilms" stuff, but I see you were already there.

That angry fat Colorado bloke has some fanbois on a US snowboarding site, some of who were struggling to get their head around toyfilms people riding well at angles their rules don't allow them to even try.

To the casual observer the binding angles used in those videos don't seem to make much difference. Who'd have guessed that you can ride a snowboard a lot of different ways?

--

I don't put my hands down, I think. I put a lot of effort in my early years teaching myself not to throw them around at all. But then I'm not deliberately trying to get low, I'm just holding the edge... so I think I arch my back toe-side (depending on the turn type...) and face more sideways on the heel, if that makes sense. Each to their own, whatever works.