Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

On 5/11/2023 at 5:29 PM, TVR said:

This one is fun.... 

Dunno about the worth watching part (of this vid of mine) but that reminded me of one of my runs three years ago when I was on a collision course with a pack of reindeers. The reindeers were more clever than me and yielded. Perspective is a bit wonky due to me wanting to fit both the rider and the reindeers to the same frame so they were much closer than what it looks like in the vid:

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

Looks like an instructor demonstrating something.

Ha, that's exactly it.

Perhaps that's what he's doing, but I'd want to really cut down on some of that, don't want to look like an instructor, the shame of it! But it's a style, of course - each to their own, and the more variety the better.

• 4 months later...
On 9/25/2023 at 1:21 PM, 1xsculler said:

incredibly strong quads

I think those guys are getting low more from their overall flexibility than specific Quad strength...... 

I gave the Burton Step  On system a go and I found I needed more Quad flexibility than   Quad strength.

Going from hardboots to even the  stiffest softboots is like wearing flipflops imo and I just couldn't get the control I wanted.

Now if your a softbooter moving up to the Step On system then you would see/feel more stiffness/control than you had previously.

16 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

I honestly don’t know why those guys don’t just get hard boots. They’re running super high angles anyway; it’s not like they’re hitting jumps or riding all-mountain with 30+ degree angles. This approach kind of confuses me but hey

They do seem to be going out of their way and to great efforts just to not be seen in hardboots. But, some people just like it better, and all-mtn/off-piste riding is definitely enjoyable on those setups, and certainly better than an alpine setup. 

• Like 1

the equipment is specially suited to this style of riding, but also more versatile than the general alternative. specially suited hardboot equipment takes great efforts as well. we're all pretty geakish with this stuff. just boils down to rider preferences and to perform the way the body and mind allows. great athleticism too. "coming to America" - JT

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 5:46 PM, 1xsculler said:

I even bought a board, from Lukas Slapko in Poland,  specifically to try to imitate these guys but I doubt my quads, and my skill, would ever allow me to even come close to carving like these guys (and gals) do!

what did you do with that N8 anyway?