Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

• 2 weeks later...

Mmm... Rung my bell something fierce today. Was coming up fast on someone, and when she suddenly turned into my path (totally my fault for not giving more space), I tried a hopping edge change at just below warp speed, and caught The Bad Edge. Landed so hard on my face, I was genuinely surprised to find all of my teeth still in my mouth. Mild concussion at worst - killer headache - gonna be some time off the board and the bike, I'm afraid. :-\ The MK's high-speed stability got the best of me - I let it run too flat for too long, as its much more stable at speed than my old SL board, and definitely paid the price. Thankfully, it was a single-vehicle crash.

Edited by jim_s
  • Sad 1

Yeah, I've unfortunately got a long history of concussions (bicycles, course slalom waterskiing, rock climbing, and of course boarding - all while being a klutz) - been trying real hard the past few years to avoid them - got careless today. :-\ Appreciate the concern and recommendations - definitely going to give it some time to resolve. (I can remember everything, no nausea, etc - some ear-ringing - so its fairly mild, but cumulatively,  its def not a good thing, especially for us old guys!)

Jim your gonna have to put a Rev limiter on that MK!!      So glad you didn't crack anything but I'd think about replacing that helmet as That's probably what saved your face and teeth!   ....and if you got ear ringing the helmet definitely took the beating!!

Might also want to see  your PCP ..............and get a Doctors note for a couple days rest!

Take er easy there buddy and feel better!

Edited by barryj
  • Like 1

Hope all heal quickly & completely. 

About a year ago, I was softbooting in lots of fresh powder & poor visibility. I hit an unexpected ditch and threw my right arm back over my shoulder. The WORST pain I have ever experienced. I was certain that I had dislocated my shoulder. However, after a bit the pain subsided and I realized that I could move my arm pretty normally. 

That day was shaping up to be the best powder day in a long time so I kept riding. It was GREAT. 

My shoulder continued to hurt when I tried to push my range of motion. I had an MRI & they suspected that I had dislocated my shoulder but it had immediately re-located. My shoulder has gradually gotten better but still now, a year later, it hurts a bit. My experience is that joint injuries take a long time to heal. 

1 hour ago, ibrussell said:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  After 13 day of iffy ICU and a number of days on different wards,  I'm home and alive. Still looking at 1-2 months to get all the tubes out, but will be on the snow next year.   Charlie

So sorry to hear about your ordeal!!   Welcome back home!! Hospital is no fun but when you are that hurt it is WONDERFUL!!   Glad you are alive and healing!!

• 11 months later...

Well crap, I think I'm out for a while.  I fell on a heelside and had instant pain in my front knee as the board skipped.  I rode the rest of the day (2 more hours) but I found I really had to focus to keep my knee stable laterally.  Come the next day, just tipping the board up on heelside was iffy.  I can walk fine, except on uneven surfaces.   

Turns out I sprained my knee, MCL and/or ACL, level 1.  I can squat the same weight as before, but can't slide a heavy mat sideways on a floor with the side of my foot.  I'm continuing my strength training as before with hopes that I keep the surrounding muscles active and strong.  

I'm really crossing my fingers to make a triumphant return at the Montucky session!  

• Sad 4

Hope your wife is understanding as you work your way back to full confidence to charge hard. Support from a brace for a few weeks and acting your age for the time being might get you in good shape for Montana. As you described sliding the mat sideways and inducing pain made me cringe thanks for destroying my own confidence .  

3 hours ago, lowrider said:

acting your age for the time being

I was hoping to not have to resort to desperate measures. 

I should look into a brace, was just shovelling snow and kicked a block - which reminded me not to do that. SMRT! 

21 hours ago, Corey said:

I'm really crossing my fingers to make a triumphant return at the Montucky session!  

Heal fast, heal well!  I am no medical professional but if you do jones for some carving.
A knee brace (level 3 with hinges?) should help with stability.  Lots of skiers with weak/injured kneed swear by it.

Yeah, I thought I was going to be off the snow for quite a while, but a few testimonials for knee braces have given me renewed hope.  I have an appointment at a sport medicine clinic Thursday for a deeper evaluation.  If a brace gets me back on the snow, then I'll get one right away!  

Thanks for the well wishes!  

22 hours ago, Corey said:

I'm continuing my strength training as before with hopes that I keep the surrounding muscles active and strong.  

I have sprained my MCL many times starting back in high school. I find that getting on a bike just to spin the pedals really helps.

3 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I would give recovery priority over snowboarding personally.

Of course, I want to snowboard (and walk) for many more years and will sacrifice this season if needed.  But, it sounds like I can do both with a modern brace.  I'll listen to my body and make the call on the spot if anything deteriorates.  I've already burned a lift ticket following exactly this advice.  

1 hour ago, Beckmann AG said:

Walk deliberately.

Indeed!  

Corey,

To elaborate, be mindful of pivoting on the injured leg while going about your daily activities. The mechanics of so many of the movements we take for granted are invisible until injury, and it doesn't take much insult to inhibit recovery.

Also, rethink your conditioning regime. Most joint stabilizing is reflexive, and you can make things a lot worse in a flash.

I'd hedge more toward non-weight bearing, range of motion/mobility activities for the near term.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 5:08 AM, Corey said:

Turns out I sprained my knee, MCL and/or ACL, level 1.  I can squat the same weight as before, but can't slide a heavy mat sideways on a floor with the side of my foot.  I'm continuing my strength training as before with hopes that I keep the surrounding muscles active and strong.

Torn my left ACL completely twice. From. That experience I'd say the most important thing to maintain is your range of motion over strength. Strength you'll get back quick, range... Not so quick. And without the range you can't full squat anyway.

Although it's a super crappy injury to get, I must ask... But did you die?