Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Day 3 and some interesting color patterns are beginning to appear....

x3y29u.jpg

The biggest annoyance is eating. When I caught the rope in the mouth it chewed up a lot of skin inside the mouth and it's painful to eat anything but the most bland foods.

Edited by patmoore

21 minutes ago, ursle said:

Did you run into the rope you put up splitting Bull run in half?

Someone else put up the rope.  Not sure why.  There's never been one there before. I consider myself lucky the rope didn't catch me in the throat.

On 3/1/2017 at 8:47 AM, ursle said:

Did you run into the rope you put up splitting Bull run in half?

I misread your question.  This wasn't the rope on the side of the course.  It was a hundred yards above the course stretched across the trail.  Skiing into the sun I didn't see it. IN retrospect I'm lucky it didn't catch me in the throat.  The collarbone feels as good as can be expected. The inside of my mouth is raw from the rope burns.  Spicy foods are out for a while.

No NASTAR this coming weekend because of "Light the Night" festivities but it returns the following weekend.  My partner can do the course setting and pacesetting and I can sit in the booth and handle timing.

Pat, have you talked to Patrol about that rope? When we'd cordon off a slope, the rope had to have 'flags' along it (this, in my case, was usually Sel's Park entrance, or on the Banks on Lower Chief), and often, the orange-mesh fencing was employed, too. Perhaps a 'safety review' of special marking should be done. A few well-placed lines of flouro-paint and/or flags along the rope might've given you a better hint that an artificial obstruction was in your path!

On 3/3/2017 at 0:26 PM, patmoore said:

I misread your question.  This wasn't the rope on the side of the course.  It was a hundred yards above the course stretched across the trail.  Skiing into the sun I didn't see it. IN retrospect I'm lucky it didn't catch me in the throat.  The collarbone feels as good as can be expected. The inside of my mouth is raw from the rope burns.  Spicy foods are out for a while.

No NASTAR this coming weekend because of "Light the Night" festivities but it returns the following weekend.  My partner can do the course setting and pacesetting and I can sit in the booth and handle timing.

Wow, clotheslined in the middle of the trail, we used to do an adult league race at Ascutney, you had to check trails carefully for snow makers in the trail, equipment in the trail, etc. 

i noticed this past mon that there were lines up in lots of places, the deck in front of the lodge, the parking lots, but really closing off a trail, leading to the Nastar course.

Recouperation on a warm island is highly recommended 

• 2 weeks later...

Oops !!!

Gloria experienced her first toe side front

flip. Said it happened real fast:)

Fortunatly, just real sore for a few days and a sore rib bone. Watch that soft snow!IMG_1488.thumb.JPG.e77d5afdda71a825047038935936df91.JPGThe offending trench was Marioworthy:)

IMG_1486.JPG

Edited by digger jr
  • Like 1

Been riding with partial ACL And PCL tear, grade 1 MCL and LCL injury. The brace has been invaluable

Injured myself early in the season after twisting the backlegg just after disembarking from the chairlift and the person beside me lost control and made everybody crash =(

20170316_183616.jpg

Edited by najserrot

10 hours ago, najserrot said:

Been riding with partial ACL And PCL tear, grade 1 MCL and LCL injury. The brace has been invaluable

Injured myself early in the season after twisting the backlegg just after disembarking from the chairlift and the person beside me lost control and made everybody crash =(

20170316_183616.jpg

Oh...I feel your pain, went through a partial tear a few years back.

If you can, it is really useful to get onto doing some physio and  cross training to build up the strength in the rest of your leg muscles which an help protect what you have left of the ACL which as you know is a permanent injury (it won't grow back).  I personally found lots of hamstring strength and working out a lot on a stationary trainer focused on circular spinning on the bike (not mashing) really helped, along with weights, building up a lot of leg strength - your test from what I remember is 80% of strength of  your uninjured leg, somewhere in that range is pretty important.

• 1 month later...

Ouchits.

Never really quite hit my stride this season, a late start,  coupled with a gimpy ankle on my back foot, IT band and knee pain on my front, leading to a lack of in season exercise and excessive beer consumption,which left me bereft of my usual power, as well as whatever little mobility and flexibility I can muster. Finally broke down and saw the ortho after my last day,  got an mri, and found out that some surgery is in my near future. I have a hole in my Achilles on my back foot, its actually a vertical tear, it doesn't affect me structurally, there are no concerns about rupture, as well as a minor tear in my medial meniscus. Kinda left me with a wicked pimp walk coupled with the mobility of a 75 year old jewish man with sciatica issues.  I got stuck with 2 big ass needles of cortisone, until I go in at the end of june and get both dealt with at the same time.  The ankle is a clean and stich with a walking boot for 2-3 weeks, the meniscus is minor enough that I will be up and back at it in less than a week. No exercise for 4-6 weeks after the operations.  Along the way I found I broke my back ankle, most likely back in 05 on a toeside chatter out. Considered it a flesh wound, and kept riding. Some times I am not a very smart man. Doc also recommended that I give up the heavy back squats, since its not really doing my knees any favors at my current level of maturity (chronological, that is)

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

Update.  Posted above is the report when I got clotheslined, knocked out, and broke my collarbone the last day of February. I'm happy to report that the Ortho has cleared me for golf!  There's still some pain but it's bearable.  At its worst the skin kind of took on a colorful hue.......

Lookng forward to next season.

413351567.jpg

Edited by patmoore

• 7 months later...

I got thrown by the MK yesterday.

Perfectly groomed, hard packed powder.  Fourth run of the day on a steep trail.  I was sitting into an aggressive heel side turn and as I started shifting my weight for the transition to toe side, an inconsistency in the snow grabbed the nose and the board unloaded all at once.  I was launched, mostly upwards.  I my opinion, this is the worst kind of being out of control in that, you're away from the surface with no way to control what comes next.  Of course my toe side edge hit first followed very quickly by my chest and head.  At first I was worried about a head injury.  I soon realized that my shoulder was going to be the problem.  My right arm was out in front of me to catch my fall.  As I hit the ground it was pushed up over my head.

Pain.  Lots of pain.  No dislocation, but I can't move my arm much today.  I don't yet know how serious the injury is.  Calling the doc today.

Boooooooooo!

• Sad 1

My husband Charlie Russell asked me to post something for him here; he took a tree branch to the abdomen on Friday Dec. 22 while riding powder in the trees at Brundage Mountain in Idaho, and is still in the ICU after two surgeries. He is expected to make a full recovery in roughly 7 weeks, but it'll put a serious damper on some early-season plans. Charlie was deep in the trees when he got injured, and after no one heard him shouting for about 5 minutes, he got up and finished the run, went to the car, put up his board, changed out of his boots and went to the ski patrol room. Five minutes later, as I headed to the car to meet him for lunch, the patrol flagged me down and we were off to the ER. Charlie's injury was a traumatic abdominal wall hernia, and the initial scans showed no internal injuries despite something big and very obviously wrong in the form of a pretty bizarre looking bulge on his stomach. The internal injuries showed up later; he had a portion of his small intestine removed. The current part, recovering from the surgeries, really sucks, but it should get better soon.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, barryj said:

WS7... get well soon!      Where were you riding in NH when you cratered??

Pats Peak, my local hang.  My wife and I went there for just a few runs while waiting for one of our kids to finish up with a practice.  I was a few hundred yards away from getting in the car, last run.  I’ll get back soon.

• Like 1