Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Loose body remove (remove the floating bone chip that came off somewhere unimportant)

Pfft, because there's always parts left over, right?

Good to hear everything went well. Fingers crossed for speedy recovery. Mountain bike season is done now anyway, at least your timing was good.

Edited by Allee

• 1 month later...

Almost nine months post op from total knee replacement and it feels really good. Opened the year on Thanksgiving in soft boots thinking I will just do a couple of groomer runs. But there was a ton of soft snow....so next thing I know I am in the soft bumps and feeling really good bouncing down thru them. No pain, no swelling after riding. The kids were cold so my wife and I did a few more runs before calling it to go feast on turkey.

And today. First day out in hard boots. Not really laying out carves but linked a few in places and the knee still feels awesome. Coming off the mountain I saw the shuttle bus starting to pull out and I took off running...and I don't run. I just didn't even think about it. So awesome. 

I did a lot of gym work, tons of biking ( with an old single speed which was interesting), a lot of hiking and then more gym work preseason. I still don't really like to kneel on it, but that is the only thing. Not sure everyone's experience would be the same but I am quite happy right now. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

16 Weeks Post-Op from the shoulder surgery.  Making good progress according to my PT.  I ventured out in soft boots to give snowboard lessons to a beginner the last few weekends, and riding softies has felt fine.  Using a "Sully" shoulder support, I finally ventured to the summit a few days ago.  Might have got a little carried away with the fresh snow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaVqg-NrCzU.

Having a follow-up with my surgeon later today.  I'll fess up to being back on a board; hope he's ok with that, though it's my decision in the end.  I don't know when I'll be back in the hard boots  -- It's not ready for going fast with the arm and shoulder low to the ground.  Still hopeful...

Edited by johnasmo

Keep in mind that we don't allow collision sports (i.e. Football) after shoulder stabilization for 9-12 months.

While your should may feel fine now, the capsule is still healing. Getting in those hard turns this season is not worth the risk of going back to the operating room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by drschwartz

Back on the list AGAIN!  Knee is fine, shoulder (boxing injury) healed.  Was riding fine....right up until someone rode into me on my heelside just as I started driving into a toeside turn, they were riding and overtaking, ran into my board, fell forward and drove his head into my back just on the right side of my spine.....he ended up with a concussion (briefly), I ended up being unable to breathe for about a minute, then fine, then a huge cramping and nerve burning sensation in my back which locked my back up and made the 2 hour bus ride and 7 hour plane ride back to BKK rather uncomfortable.  Excrutiating pain when rotating initially, which has eased thanks to pain killers, muscle relaxants, icing and time.

Xray revealed nothing broken, but still have the sensation of electric shock type burning feeling around my right side above my hips 2 weeks after the accident - doing physio and various exercises but it's going to mean cancelling my triathlon training and another snowboard trip end of Feb most likely.

Worst of all....took a chip out of my almost brand new Coiler!  I could handle myself being injured.....but the injury to "Red Dwarf" my 172 stubby is hard to bear!

Keep in mind that we don't allow collision sports (i.e. Football) after shoulder stabilization for 9-12 months.

While your should may feel fine now, the capsule is still healing. Getting in those hard turns this season is not worth the risk of going back to the operating room

My surgeon said pretty much the same when I saw him yesterday.  He couldn't officially clear me for a return to activity, but understood where I was coming from and encouraged me to be very careful.  My physical therapist helped me with how to configure the Sully shoulder support to help me resist some arm motions that I'm too weak to resist on my own, but it is not body armor by any means.  They both understand there's a mental health versus physical health trade-off at play and that it's a personal decision. 

Snowboarding isn't supposed to be a contact sport, but my eyes are wide open (e.g. kipstar's incident).  Like carvedog, my thinking at first was to stick with groomers in good visibility, but in retrospect my biggest risk may be getting hit by speeding skiers and snowboarders or letting myself go too fast.  Playing around off-piste, in the trees, on limited visibility days, may be a better way to keep it slow and easy.

You are right that I may have to write off carving on alpine gear for the whole season; keeping it slow and easy and out of harms way isn't really compatible with my alpine gear.  I'll be sticking to softies.  Thanks for the words of caution.

• 2 months later...

Finally clicking in with hard boots 25 weeks post-op. Conditions just too good to miss.

Of course I did a video...

https://youtu.be/lzD1iuFme6w

Strength is only 50 - 60 percent, but PT has got passive range of motion looking pretty good at this point.  Good to be back carving with a little season still left.  Will see my surgeon again tomorrow, March 21, and hope to finally get cleared for return to activity.  :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

28c25u8.jpg2n7nt02.jpg

President's day weekend my knee met a tree

here is some fun hardware for you all to see

my orthopod today said to me:

"mountainbike this summer to rehab your knee"

Sorry to hear about that.  I came close, but luckily it wasn't a hard tree and I wasn't going very fast.

I feel your pain.  On the bright side, your cartilage is excellent, and coming from a guy with a new knee, that's absolutely great. 

Better your knee than your head.

Or most likely you would be dead.

And on the snow a big spot of red.

On Bomber Onlin lots of tears would be shed.

And could I then add your boards to my quiver from which I shred? 

Ouch!!! Good luck with recovery!

Edited by st_lupo
  • Like 1

Thanks for the support!

on a serious note - you would not believe how hard it was to get people (one good samaritan and then ski patrol)  to help me release my bindings with my feet above my head on my back in a tree well. My board was anchored securely in about 1' of snow and I couldn't move it, my knee hooked on the tree. Thank god I wasn't knocked out and could give direction.  Everyone went straight to the bindings and I had a hard time focusing them on the intec handle coming from the top of my boot.  (Even more an issue if you tuck your pants over the boot and handle.)

If you ride intec  - Make sure everyone knows how to get you out of your intec bindings. I am thinking of printing a sticker or better a stomp pad with instructions.

Every time i visit a new to me resort i try to  get a ski patroller aside and ask them if they know how to get my board off ( Fintec heel ). To date only my home hill patrol knows how to ! Welcome to the world of TWO . Please encourage others to educate patrol . From your xray i see more than enough SS screws to fasten a couple of sets of bindings. Heal well. From the sounds of your adventure the land of the upside down isn't one i care to visit

• 10 months later...

Happily no one has added to this thread in almost a year but I'm afraid I have to make an addition.  I had just set the gates for our NASTAR course and was returning to the course to do a pacesetting run (on skis) when I got clotheslined with a rope that isn't normally across the trail.  Skiing into the sun blocked my vision.  Fortunatly I caught it in the mouth instead of the neck.  I was knocked unconcious for a few minutes and woke up spitting blood.  After a sled ride and a trip to the hospital the diagnosis was a concussion and a broken collarbone.  I should be okay in time for the NASTAR Nationals at Steamboat in a few weeks although with no practice I won't be competitive on skis.  On the board I've outlived most of my competition.....

6to5s1.jpg

7 hours ago, patmoore said:

I got clotheslined with a rope that isn't normally across the trail.  Skiing into the sun blocked my vision.  Fortunatly I caught it in the mouth instead of the neck.  I was knocked unconcious for a few minutes and woke up spitting blood.  

Clotheslined, indeed. That's awful. Remember those metal cables they used to string across parking lots? A friend of mine was drunkenly running through a public parking lot at night one time and took one of those suckers in the mouth. Broke out most of his front teeth and gave him a grisly, leering, Joker-like smile for the next few months. You look way better than him. Happy to hear it won't interfere with your racing!