Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from the Doc. He told me he wants to "cut my ankle off" (Medial malleolar osteotomy and O.A.T.S. procedure) to get at a bone cyst (medial talar osteochondral lesion) most likely caused by a digger I took a year and a half ago. So I've got to decide if I should risk surgery or live with the pain for the rest of my life. Good news is, I wouldn't have to get surgery right away, so I can enjoy this season first and hopefully be healed up for the next.

Anyone have any experience with, info, stats, or horror stories about the above?

Anyone have any experience with, info, stats, or horror stories about the above?
slit your foot open, mostly invert the ankle joint, core out the wonky cartilage and plug in a fresh healthy piece? what could possibly go wrong! ;)

did your doctor say where they'd take the healthy cartilage from?

did your doctor say where they'd take the healthy cartilage from?

Ayup. My knee.

It gets better though. If the bone they cut doesn't heal properly, they have to fuse the ankle. I was real exited to hear that!:rolleyes:

Almost makes it all seem worth while.

When do the Shad run?

• 2 weeks later...

Dingbat,

Decent procedure for the problem you have, BUT as you have referenced, things can go wrong. Two possible sources for the graft: 1. your own knee, 2. Fresh cadaver allograft (not preserved or sterilized). My preference is for the allograft. No risk of donor site problems, and no risk of rejection. Does have very slightly higher risk of infection if the graft has not been handled and processed properly. Allografts do very well - the ones we have been back "in on" to look at all have healed fine, and it is usually progression of arthritis in other areas of the joint that cause the recurrent pain and problems.

Simple arthroscopy with debridement is another choice, with fewer potential side effects or complications, but also less likely to really provide pain relief. My analogy would be " hitting for a single" as compared to "Swinging for the fences". The graft procedure, when successful gives much better results, but when it fails, really can fail big.

You also can continue conservative treatment with anti-inflammatory medications and activity mods. How old are you? Do you have mechanical catching and popping, or just pain?

Post or just email me if you don't want details on the public forum.

Dingbat,

Decent procedure for the problem you have, BUT as you have referenced, things can go wrong. Two possible sources for the graft: 1. your own knee, 2. Fresh cadaver allograft (not preserved or sterilized). My preference is for the allograft. No risk of donor site problems, and no risk of rejection. Does have very slightly higher risk of infection if the graft has not been handled and processed properly. Allografts do very well - the ones we have been back "in on" to look at all have healed fine, and it is usually progression of arthritis in other areas of the joint that cause the recurrent pain and problems.

Simple arthroscopy with debridement is another choice, with fewer potential side effects or complications, but also less likely to really provide pain relief. My analogy would be " hitting for a single" as compared to "Swinging for the fences". The graft procedure, when successful gives much better results, but when it fails, really can fail big.

You also can continue conservative treatment with anti-inflammatory medications and activity mods. How old are you? Do you have mechanical catching and popping, or just pain?

Post or just email me if you don't want details on the public forum.

I had a bone spur removed last Thanksgiving from my rear ankle about the size of the joint of the end of your thumb. It was done arthroscopically with Debridlement.

I now have full range of motion, and so far no pain whatsoeveri although I have yet to snowboard on it for an entire season. It's done fine with about a week of riding last season.

One thing I would like to pass along when it comes to anti-inflammatory medication (NSAIDS) Try to take Naprosyn as opposed to ibuprofen, because the Naprosyn is a lot easier on your kidneys.

You certainly wouldn't want to end up compromising your kidneys and ending up with kidney stones or gout.

drschwartz,

Thanks for the input. I had not heard of an allograft yet. I will look into it.

I'm low 40's. There is mechanical catching and popping, but it's not necessarily new since the injury. In fact, all my joints have been able to catch and pop and can "crack" for as long as I can remember. What I do find interesting is that when my ankle is at its worst, (meaning that pain increases toward unbearable if I continue to weight it) I can roll my ankle in a circular motion until something pops, at which point it becomes possible to bear weight on it again with just dull pain.

I understand how this procedure would be "swinging for the fences" as far as resolving the cyst in the talus is concerned. What I don't understand, is how I can have a better outcome from what I have now after cutting the bottom of my tibia completely off, right through the middle of the joint, and then screwing it back together. Seems like an absolute last resort type thing. Am I wrong about that?

One thing I would like to pass along when it comes to anti-inflammatory medication (NSAIDS) Try to take Naprosyn as opposed to ibuprofen, because the Naprosyn is a lot easier on your kidneys.

You certainly wouldn't want to end up compromising your kidneys and ending up with kidney stones or gout.

John, have you got journal references for that?

All NSAIDs have the same fundamental mechanism of action, reducing or blocking prostaglandin synthesis. Prostaglandins perform a wide range of functions in the body. These include playing an important role in causing and maintaining inflammation, enhancing the production of mucous which protects the lining of your stomach from stomach acid, and maintaining blood flow to the part of the kidneys that is crucial for concentrating the urine.

All NSAIDs can significantly reduce kidney blood flow, potentially to the point of kidney failure requiring dialysis. For normal people who are not dehydrated this is not a problem with short term use of NSAIDs.

If you are dehydrated from illness, treated for high blood pressure or heart failure, diabetic, have known existing kidney function impairment, or are taking them regularly in the long term, then NSAIDs carry significant risks and should only be used with medical supervision and monitoring of kidney function.

It would be unwise to take them before a long day snowboarding in dry, cold, winter air, and then minimise how much you drank to avoid needing to stop and take a leak.

Better to take them for your aches and pains at the end of the day when you are rehydrating and have some food in your stomach. That way you protect your kidneys and your stomach lining.

P.S: Achilles rehab going well at 8 weeks out of brace. Up to 100km cycle rides, climbing up to 1 in 5 gradient hills out of the saddle, and no longer being passed by all and sundry. Still feels like I'm riding with one and a half legs though. Muscle shape and tone in gastroc and soleus improving but a very long way to go to match the uninjured leg. Patience is a virtue........

Edited by SunSurfer

P.S: Achilles rehab going well at 8 weeks out of brace. Up to 100km cycle rides, climbing up to 1 in 5 gradient hills out of the saddle, and no longer being passed by all and sundry. Still feels like I'm riding with one and a half legs though. Muscle shape and tone in gastroc and soleus improving but a very long way to go to match the uninjured leg. Patience is a virtue........

Are you making allowances for the other leg that bulked up when you were laying around the house not doing your dusting and cleaning ?

Kieran, not ridden a recumbent. Riding out of the saddle, standing on the pedals is great exercise for me to strengthen the muscles and rebuild control of my right ankle. A recumbent wouldn't give me that option.

Lowrider, I didn't spend my 8 weeks in a lower leg splint on the sofa. From week 3 I was mobile and fully weight bearing on the injured leg with a functional brace on it. I wore out two braces over the following weeks. Only the muscles in my right calf atrophied from not being used. My left leg really didn't take any extra load so no bulking up of the left calf.

Edited by SunSurfer

Mark,

The medial malleolar osteotomy done to access the ankle joint CAN have problems, but realistically, if you don't smoke cigarettes, it should heal uneventfully, and cause you no problems whatsoever. The real problem is getting your talus to heal back to having a smooth surface without further problems. Think wheel bearing, or scored piston. Once the joint has roughness and damage, it tends to get worse as time goes by. The surgery being proposed to you is designed to try to get rid of the rough area and slow down that process. The main problems are related to how well the graft heals, how smooth and congruent the surgeon is able to get the graft, and how much trouble you have in the rest of the joint. I would say that there are just as many failures as successes. Arthroscopy on the other hand, could reliebly remove any loose fragments, and potentially get rid of the catching symptoms you have, but won't make the surface totally smooth, so won't stop the progression of further arthritis changes. Less risk of a disastrous failure though.

Tough decision, no clear right answer here, and mostly depends on how bad your symptoms are, and whether they are worsening with time. Might want to consider a scope to see what that does before doing the larger procedure.

DR. S any experience with stem cell or lazer treatment for the above mentioned conditions. Rather than the traditional " If in doubt cut it out "procedure. Without the catch and pop some mornings I can't be sure i'm awake and moving. Riding my board with a plate helps with some of the banging around my joints take, next are the sidewinders but if Fin doesn't keep inventing stuff I may be running out of options.

Lowrider,

We quit using lasers in the arthroscopic surgery about 10 years ago. They have been completely replaced by radiofrequency tools. However, neither tool is recommended for treatment of articular surface lesions. The heat from the tool damages cartilage significantly.

Professional athletes are paying boatloads of money to get stem cells and PRP injected just because of advertising and anecdotal stories of good results. The orthopedic literature does not share this opinion. Most studies show very mixed results, no clear proof that either stem cells or PRP are effective for any intra-articular pathology or for arthritis. Some benefit has been shown in certain studies for treatment of tendinopathies and strains. In my practice, we use PRP for treatment of tendonitis, but the jury is still out as to how effective it actually is.

Mark,

The medial malleolar osteotomy done to access the ankle joint CAN have problems,.........

Tough decision, no clear right answer here, and mostly depends on how bad your symptoms are, and whether they are worsening with time. Might want to consider a scope to see what that does before doing the larger procedure.

Thanks Dr Schwartz.

• 2 weeks later...

I met my deductible recently so i contacted my doctor and got an appointment. He said he wanted to do a MRI and he would do it at no charge. He found a narrowing of the cartilage in my right knee and a small cyst. He called it trochlear arthritis. He is recommending surgery again. I previously had plica surgery on both knees. He said he would clean up the rough edges and drill the area to encourage new growth. He said he cannot guarantee any favorable results :/ I got a Synvisc One injection while i was there. He said this cartilage degeneration was not on the MRIs that he had done previously. Anyone else ever had/has this condition?

Jeff,

Personally, I am not a fan of micro fracture chondroplasty(the procedure you are describing). We used to do a ton of this surgery 15-20 years ago, but it has become less popular in recent years because of highly variable results. The theory is that puncturing the sub chondral bone will stimulate growth of new cartilage. Unfortunately, it is not normal cartilage, and sometimes it does not regrow at all. Recent study in Texas comparing arthroscopic debridement surgery for arthritis versus sham surgery showed the patients with the sham surgery had better results overall. This was a slightly different age group than you, and more extensive arthritis, but demonstrates that we orthopedists are not always as effective as we would like to think we are at treating arthritic joints with arthroscopic surgery.

If you are progressively getting worse, then I guess you could consider this, but if you are improving with your conservative exercise program, I would keep up with that instead.

Dr. S