Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

kieran I can quite imagine having metal hardware removed from ones body while they watch could make one a bit woozy indeed!

And drschwartz thank-you so much for the explanation of the "vaso vagal" reaction! The guy explained it to me but I was still too out of it to digest what he was saying. It’s just odd since it did not happen right when the cast came off. It was a delayed reaction so it definitely threw me.

As for being a “weenie” or “lightweight”, I’d be lying if I said I was not more rattled by the passing out then the actual wrist fracture!

However, sometimes life just humbles you... :o

llr

Somewhat related: I got seriously light-headed while watching my wife in some pain while getting her C-section bandages removed. I've never experienced that before, had to sit down before I went down. I could feel my field of vision narrowing and going black-and-white. Crazy.

^^^ That's the worst feeling in the world. I struggle with low iron, and I've had a couple of times (including one recent one) where I've almost passed out having blood taken. Many years ago, I was having blood done and I went down so fast the tech didn't have time to pull the needle out of my arm, and I crashed off the chair and fell on it. I had a bruise that went from my armpit to my wrist. Good times!

One of my friends broke her wrist a few weeks back, and she had something similar happen when they took her first cast off ... so it's not just you, live_love_ride! She didn't pass out but she definitely didn't feel good.

Edited by Allee

does having your ear cut because a snowboard slammed into it while turning a corner in the car, count? i had them tethered on the headrest of the passenger seat but they escaped. now sporting a nice skin shave on a cartilage ridge, and it's actually quite sore.

does having your ear cut because a snowboard slammed into it while turning a corner in the car, count? i had them tethered on the headrest of the passenger seat but they escaped. now sporting a nice skin shave on a cartilage ridge, and it's actually quite sore.

Ha Ha ! sorry. Ha Ha ! sorry. Always thought this was possible but was in denial until reading your post. I will now treat those missiles sitting in their launch mode over the back seat with the respect they are due. As cars get shorter I can see this becoming a bigger problem. I always prefer to place my best board in the back rather than the box on the roof with all the other's. Perhaps it's scratched enough to play it safe now.

This is my wife's first season on an alpine board. She had a rather soft and easy fall a few weeks ago, a toe-side slide out, just just a little sliding bounce. It should not have been a big deal. The problem was that she was wearing a belly-bag with Nalgene water bottle in it. Never again. A cracked rib ended her season. At least she made it down the mountain riding the board. She said it was her best run all season.

I hope you guys n gals all heal really quickly and are fit n strong for next season:)

Not quite an injury but I do have a rare condition where I have had a Pleurodesis carried out on each lung. The consultant that I see was most surprised when I told him(4 years ago) that I took up snowboarding...he was avidly taking notes...haha...

:p

Anyway, I can't remember who it is on this site that has the signature something like..."it's not every day that's a blessing but every breath..."...that sure means a lot to me....and another uncanny but appropriate thing is, that I want to EC carve and the well know signature tune to Jacques and Patrice's famous video is called "breathe(believe)"...:biggthump

Anyway, I can't remember who it is on this site that has the signature something like..."it's not every day that's a blessing but every breath..."...that sure means a lot to me....and another uncanny but appropriate thing is, that I want to EC carve and the well know signature tune to Jacques and Patrice's famous video is called "breathe(believe)"...:biggthump

Had to look it up - that Pleurodesis thing sounds painful! Signature below, from Jimmy to you.... :)

• 3 months later...

Almost certainly out of action for this Southern Hemisphere winter. Probable ruptured Achilles' tendon while practicing with a social sports team of workmates this evening. Classic "who kicked the back of my ankle" sensation. Ultrasound exam tomorrow to confirm the clinical diagnosis of a likely complete tear. 8 weeks in plasters & orthopaedic boots is the likely scenario before real rehab can begin.

SunSurfer :(

Sunsurfer,,

Real sorry to hear that. I've heard people describe a tear to the Achilles,:eek: and sounds extremely painful, including when it actually happens..ouch!

A speedy and full recovery to you:biggthump

Post some pics of any nice boots you have to wear;)

Edited by floBoot

Fin,

At this stage unlikely to get to SES in 2014. What with the smashed finger in February, and now this, my total income for the year will be significantly reduced. We will be living more simply in order to make sure we meet commitments like mortgage payments etc. It also means I won't be tempted to push my rehab too hard, too early, and re-rupture the tendon, something that I would be more likely to do if I was trying to be fully fit for February 2014. So 2015 it will have to be. :)

Lowrider,

Yeah, I have a project or two on the go in my mind. One has reached the stage where I was ready to try it out when I hit the snow this year, which of course is now not going to happen, so I'll post the prototype pictures and explanation in a separate thread "Alpine Snowboarders Hand Armour".

Alan

Edited by SunSurfer

• 3 weeks later...

Pitty to hear that Alan. Painfull. Wish you have a fast recovery. You will be recovered within 7 months time if it's a total rupture (if there won't be any complications). My japanese doctor said when I fully torned my right one 24 years ago, that I won't torn the repaired one, but if I will torn one, it will be the other he said :lol: I have had no complaints since then, yes you won't be able to stretch your leg as far as the healthy one due to a shorter made tendon. And you will have more starting problems in the winter when it's cold and your leg will feel somewhat stiff in the morning. But that's about it. Just train hard when you can walk again without the plaster.

• 1 month later...

Today was my second day out of my "moon boot"/functional ankle brace, which I have been walking in for the last 6 weeks. Actually it's my second day out of my second moon boot, after I wore the first one out. Saw my supervising orthopaedic surgeon today (non-operative, early weight bearing treatment plan) and well healed up. Plan for the next 4-6 weeks is no specific strengthening exercises, just use the foot in my high heeled sports shoes (approx. 3cm temporary riser under heel of each show) then after that start physiotherapy for strengthening.

But, and this is the big advantage I see for an early weightbearing approach, the muscles in my buttock, thigh, and foot are all well maintained, and I have not lost nearly as much muscle in the calf as they would normally have expected. When I walk in my shoes, the only joint that feels unstable is the ankle because the muscles that work it are 8 weeks out of practice.

Yesterday, I gently climbed back on my mountain bike for a short ride on the flat quiet roads around the coast of the peninsula I live on, planning on going slowly and using all the gears to control the pressure put on the Achilles tendon. The sun was out, the wind was light, yachts out on the harbour, a small swell breaking on the rocky shore. Well, 35km and a couple of hours later I made my way back to where I'd parked my car (did I mention I've been able to drive with the boot on) and loaded the bike back onto the carry bar. Leg muscles and ankle joint gently exercised, no Achilles tendon pain, & log-cabin fever cured. That felt so good! I don't think I would have been able to even contemplate that if I hadn't continued to use the leg while in the brace. Now concentrating on walking slowly and carefully with as normal a gait as possible and already noticing improvements in smoothness and range of motion.

I am being very careful to avoid loss of balance as even slight off moments clearly generate extra stress in the healing tendon that I can feel. But at the same time the sooner I can train my brain, nerves and leg muscles to be normal again, the better.

well 6 months after a grade 2 ACL/LCL/meniscus tear (according to the Docs here in Thailand) I have been doing physio 2-3X every week and another 2-3 gym sessions consistently (with a range of activities including boxing, skipping, weights, a little muay Thai), was finally able to get back onto the mountain - Whakapapa in NZ - 4 perfect weather days.

Physio and my Doc had said I worked pretty hard at the recovery and should not be having issues, but advised me to take it easy and to stop if I felt knee pain or instability.

Knee feels stronger and more stable than before as a result of all the exercises for hamstrings and abductors which support the knee, but I did listen to the warning signals and took it easier than I would normally. No sense of instability no twinges of pain, but relatively less strength than before (as I did less heavy weights in the gym than previously) so had to cruise when I rode, perhaps a little more than I would have before.

However, did tear a back muscle prior 2 weeks ago (I believe I did it either stretching or doing one leg leg press on a wobble board), and so had a lot of back pain on and off, especially on the one very firm day at Turoa, where first run a bombing skier cut me off mid toeside turn, so I had to bail and broke at the waist, causing a major click and pain in the back which continued thereafter somewhat.

So a big thanks to DrSchwartz and all the other posters who went through injuries, and gave me advice and encouragement on how to recover, now I am ready for Japan!

I think riding a shorter board and softening up the boots (Raichle Indys) helped a lot as well. Whakapapa had a fairly low amount of snow and there were idiotic race courses set up all over the Valley T, so the runs were a bit limited some of the time.

Edited by kipstar

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my left knee seems to have healed up fairly well this summer w/o anything more than unsupervised home p/t. I probably tore the meniscus in my right knee at work Aug. 1st. Just had the MRI on Monday, visit the surgeon on the 28th. to get the prognosis. Doing p/t every week, it feels good until it gets twisted/pulled on, then it hurts. Surgery now means who knows what for this season, I suspect maybe some spring riding if I am lucky. Life goes on...anybody need some snowboards???

What do you have?

01/02 182 Tanker, 02/03(best year) 192 Tanker, Donek 182 GS (very stiff for me) with a first gen Donek plate on it. 159 Rossi half gun-too small for me. I'll proly keep the smaller Tanker and sell the 192-my knees aren't getting along with the big boards.