Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

• 2 weeks later...

This is my left elbow on the first weekend of March, after stopping to tighten up my boots and getting nailed by an out-of-control skier...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30732[/ATTACH]

It was out-of-joint for about 3 hours... The folks at the first-aid shack were concerned that it might also be broken so they called me an ambulance so that I could get some X-rays. The folks at the hospital decided that it was simply dislocated. So they had one person pull back on my upper arm while another pulled forward on my lower arm to pop it back into place. Then they had me stare into a bright red dot that wiped my memory of the event. (Or maybe they gave me drugs, how would I know?)

My range-of-motion is way down from normal - I can only straighten it out to about 20 degrees, and flex it to about 100 degrees, so now I'm spending about 3 hours a day (45 minutes x 4) doing stretching exercises to try to get my flexibility back. My physical therapist is taking measurements twice a week and I'm making slow but steady progress. With luck I'll have it all back in 2-3 months, provided I spend 30-45 minutes stretching before I try to bend it anywhere near the extremes.

There's a chance that my range of motion won't all come back, though... Apparently, the longer your elbow sits dislocated, the more scar tissue forms in the ligaments, and that scarring can be a real problem. And my body is apparently pretty aggressive about forming scars. And 3 hours is a relatively long time. I think I'll probably be able to snowboard again, but mountain biking is rather uncertain right now. But I really want to go biking so at least it's easy to stay motivated to stretch.

Dayum. I cannot see the attachment at the present time (Fin or Michelle? says contact administrator)... however I feel yer frustration. My right ankle's been busted once and it's never able to recover the flexibility I used to have. Nevertheless, I ain't taking walking for granted.

There's a chance that my range of motion won't all come back, though... Apparently, the longer your elbow sits dislocated, the more scar tissue forms in the ligaments, and that scarring can be a real problem. And my body is apparently pretty aggressive about forming scars.

The scarring is a real problem for sure. I have one elbow that's been beaten to hell from skating, kickboxing, 25 years of weightlifting, and boarding - it's badly scarred up, and is starting to give me real problems. I'm using active release to stay on top of it, which definitely helps, even though it's so painful it makes me cry ... and I might resort to trying shockwave as well. All you can do is keep it moving, and hope for the best. Good luck.

Bryan!!! OMG, those pictures almost made me lose my breakfast ... I really, really hope that heals up OK. Fingers and toes crossed.

Bryan!!! OMG, those pictures almost made me lose my breakfast ... I really, really hope that heals up OK. Fingers and toes crossed.

Hi Allee, sorry about that!

Really slow changes, I am still more or less without sight in my right eye. It is really scary to be frank. Hard to describe what is going on in the eye. It looks like you are looking through a snow globe that is 3/4 full of yellowish, murky water and gell that some black, silver foil floating around in there too. A mess for sure. I find it is easier to cover the eye because it is so distracting. The right eye is evidently the "Dominant Eye" so it (the brain) tries to go to it first or the most. Thanks for the well wishes, you too!!! Keep on "Keeping On" young lady. :biggthump

Looks like everyone is recovering well (hang in Bryan, it will get better, good thoughts your way!) including me. All healed from my season ending spill at the end of March at Mt. Spokane. Just a ton of PT to do before I ride next. All in the name of hardbooting, eh guys and gals?

post-10676-141842368643_thumb.jpg

post-10676-141842368641_thumb.jpg

I had my final x-rays and surgeon appointment, today. Good news - crack healed completely! In about a month the hip should be close to the full strength. I can start the mellower sports already (didn't tell to doc that I've already been doing it ;) ).

Bad news - limping and compensating for the bad hip led to such stiffness and agreevation of an old lower back injury, that I can bearly walk. Getting in and out of the car is a mission... It's been like that for about 3 days now.

I had my final x-rays and surgeon appointment, today. Good news - crack healed completely! In about a month the hip should be close to the full strength. I can start the mellower sports already (didn't tell to doc that I've already been doing it ;) ).

Bro, that's good news...hmmm I think somewhere there's the vid of last week slalom skateboard session...;)

Bad news - limping and compensating for the bad hip led to such stiffness and agreevation of an old lower back injury, that I can bearly walk. Getting in and out of the car is a mission... It's been like that for about 3 days now

Ouch!! Let me know if you need the med supply...:eplus2:

Cheers

RT

My surgeon has been really positive and straight forward in caring for me. He was going over some of the things I needed to NOT do or DO properly.

Bryan, heal well.

.... All healed from my season ending spill at the end of March at Mt. Spokane. Just a ton of PT to do before I ride next. All in the name of hardbooting, eh guys and gals?

Evan, good to hear.

He mentioned with strong voice. "BUNGIES" blind so many!!! Those seemingly innocent and very handy utility straps. We have probably all gotten lucky at least once when one got away and snapped back. He said they pop allot of eyes and damage them beyond repair in a flash. PLEASE be carefull and wear the safety glasses!!!!!!! Side note, the newer frameless clear safety glasses are almost as cool as my Oakely's (no , no really) but still they are pretty nice and with the added bi-focal features I wear them all the time. Be safe my friends. Bryan

100% agree.

But the scariest research found out that 50% (or more) those who got injured have their safety devices strap on but not properly attach (Safety glasses hang on their neck instead on their face, Fall Protection Belt hooked on them self :smashfrea instead building anchors etc)

Be safe,

RT

Update on my right eye. For weeks I have been basically without any useable sight in the right eye. As the gas bubble starts to dissapate I now have a thing line of what looks to be normal sight. Picture trying to see though an aquarium 7/8th full of murky, yellowish water with a sheet of tin foil sloshing around in it. Eye lid is still heavy and low, down to one eye drop twice daily and weight limits should be removed when I see the Surgeon next week. Thanks again for all the kind gestures. Bryan

Bryan, I'm so happy to hear that you're recovering some vision in that dominant eye. Hoping that you continue to make steady improvement.

Bryan, ages ago, I was reading a particular book about retaining my former eyesights back (it worked once)... it suggested bilberry for they do possess critical properties that the eyeballs would utilize to the maximum. Don't recall what it is at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Keenan from the Bend area just had a bike accident. Here is a copy of his post .

I ended up on Lifeflight Monday night due to a bike wreck. I lost and adrenal gland and ruptured a kidney. Guess I should use those disc brakes more often.
Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

• 2 months later...

Spotted on FB , it appears Chris broke his arm while motorcycling. Wish you well Chris!!

Chris Karol- strangely enough there was a woman involved but that's a long story. KTM 300 is fine but the broken arm is a bit of a setback. was thinking i might wad the shirt up and frame it but Donato might be on to a new fashion style- maybe some bright red stitching?

September 5 at 2:48p

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I sprained my ankle last spring riding at Alpine Meadows when I hyper flexed it until I got this x-ray. This is on my right (front) ankle so I think it helps me lock in my toe side turns. Getting the spur removed next week so now my toe side turns will probably suck as bad as my heel side turns.post-6992-141842371304_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Two weeks ago I had a retinal detachment and tear in the right eye, went to the dr. and he did in office lazer treatment to secure it from getting worse. Couple days later I had a "Giant" retina tear / detachment. With emergency surgery that day. Three hours of surgery they installed a "Buckle" around the outside of the eye and stitched that on, removed was remained of the vitreous material, lots of repairing the damages and more lazer surgery to tack it down. Large gas bubble injected in the eye to help "float" the retina back. Several days of "Face Down" positioning then alternating vertial positioning with face down. I am still pretty much blind in the right eye. After todays visit the surgeon states it is where he would expect it to be with minimal slippage. It will be weeks before what sight I have in the eye returns. I am anxious but hopeful.

Thank you to those who knew about my issues and offered help. Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. I am encouraged by todays checkup.

Bryan

Hey Bryan,

Sorry, just read this. I share your pain. I have had 2 retinal detachments in the same eye.

The first one was May 2011, had the surgery done to repair 5 micro tears and then freeze/laser it back on, then the gas bubble/head positioning for a month. Vision returned but was more nearsighted ( went from -5 to -9) I was doing monthly follow ups for 6 months, then Doc said it looked great, come back in 6 months.

Before the 6 months was up, in March 2012 It happened again. This time over 20 micro tears to repair! Same medieval painfull horrible operation same gas bubble with head positioning. This time vision in that eye dropped to -13 ( due to the gas bubble hardening the lens ) It also started a cateract in that eye, so I will eventually need to get that lens replaced...I have been going back for follow ups as so far so good. ( I insisted on continuing the monthly visits)

I wear gas permeable contact lenses and the vision of the corrected eye is OK, but I could never drive with just that eye...I favor the other one that seems OK for now, although there are lots of floaters. I can still windsurf and carve but have to swivel my head around a lot. Luckily my good eye is the right one so I can ride goofy no problem.

If nothing else I'm sharing this so you know you are not the only one with this issue. I am 48 years old and try to focus on the positive.

I also understand how horrible it was to watch them cut 2 big holes in your eye for tool access, suck most of the juice out, then stick tools inside that freeze and then burn with a blinding yellow laser...then the feeling of stitching up the incisions like a thick water ballon...then the incredible terrible pain for the first few days of recovery....and then forced to lay around for a month with your head down..not good. I hope it doesn't happen again...to either of us!

Edited by dano

Did you get a T-bar/barstool hook fixture on it? Or was it your back leg (like mine)? I didn't have much of an opportunity to review the options list, so mine's plain vanilla. It's worked out well so far (DON'T touch wood - stay well away from trees..). Contact with a tree voids the warranty.

post-3954-141842374818_thumb.jpg

Just got the ok from my doctor to snowboard. Hopefully the new titanium will keep me from breaking my femur over and over again. Looking forward to putting it to the test!

Is that "New Titanium" as in replacing old titanium or are you referring to "New Titanium" installed to improve / stabilize the performance of your original collagen - calcium carbonate femur bone? I'll be putting first trax on the newly installed cobalt-chrome wheel bearing here in a few weeks.

Wish you well PB!