Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Back to the ER this am. Gretchen was in horrific pain. TWO shots of morphine to calm it down. Apparently the splint was too tight and would not allow for swelling. She said she now understands what a 10 is when gauging pain.

The second Dr. was not that sure about the no surgery thing. Won't know till we get to the orthopedic.

Bryan, I was sort of trying to make light of the situation last night. The snow she was carving was run off, she was riding her new slalom ski. We've been talking about the concept of a progressive pull, where you pull hardest behind the boat. Well, she went for it. Through the wakes at 100mph then out the front ass over tea kettle. Front foot never came out of the ski. She has lace up bindings, and I think it's hard for her to get the back one tight. If she had stayed in both, or come out of both it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

Sorry to hear about the injury, hope she heals quickly and back behind a boat running 38 off.

Some of my most "OH Sh*t" moments took place in the slalom course. The worst falls of them all is when you break at the waist and feel yourself start to launch over that ski tip.

I remember my most brural fall was in that same scenario. I was skiing out in the high desert of SoCal at Great Lakes. Pulling through the wake I broke at the waist while trying to make up some time to bouy #5. I tossed the handle and tried to regain my balance to ski it out. I took to long in regaining my balance and slid up the shoreline at 20 mph.

The gravel of the high desert when skin encounters it is considerably more abrasive than water. Fotunately, no broken bones but lots of gravel rash.

OVR. I would bet that's exactly what happened. (I was at work at the time)

She's not used to loading the rope like that.

Gretchen is feeling MUCH better today! I think the constant dosage of Ibuprofen is really kicking in. That plus the fact that the new splint is not too tight. We've cut the Percocet dosage in half. Wouldn't be suprised if she's off it tomorrow.

Thanks everybody for the well wishes. It puts a smile on her face every time I tell her of a new post.

Allee, she'll be back with both barrels blazing. That's just the kind of woman she is.

The GOOD news: The pain has improved so much G is off the drugs and down to 400mg of Ibuprofen every 4 hours.

The BAD news: Now that the pain is managed, frustration and boredom are setting in. She's pretty bummed about blowing off the next few months of boating. Plus, our house starts on the second floor. Crutches + stairs = PITA

The GOOD news: The pain has improved so much G is off the drugs and down to 400mg of Ibuprofen every 4 hours.

The BAD news: Now that the pain is managed, frustration and boredom are setting in. She's pretty bummed about blowing off the next few months of boating. Plus, our house starts on the second floor. Crutches + stairs = PITA

On the good side: You now have a full time boat driver!!

Consider forearm crutches, I found them much better on stairs.

They are available online for very little money.

Another very trick option for underarm crutches. http://www.mobilegs.com/

post-198-141842345355_thumb.jpg

Scott - send Gretchen our well wishes

frustration and boredom are setting in.

Sadly, I understand her "pain". On May 27th, I had a kid decide to remodel my motorcycle while I was on it. :angryfire

I now have a plate and 7 screws to add to the collection in my left forearm.

New golf clubs - sitting, waiting to be used...

New mountain bike - sitting, waiting to be used...

New (replacement) motorcycle because the first one was totaled - sitting waiting to be used...

The boredom hit on about the third day. Books and movies were about the only things that helped pass the time while I was off work. Now that I am traveling again, things are not too bad. Hopefully I should be able to start "playing" again in ~10 days.

Scott - send Gretchen our well wishes

Sadly, I understand her "pain". On May 27th, I had a kid decide to remodel my motorcycle while I was on it. :angryfire

I now have a plate and 7 screws to add to the collection in my left forearm.

New golf clubs - sitting, waiting to be used...

New mountain bike - sitting, waiting to be used...

New (replacement) motorcycle because the first one was totaled - sitting waiting to be used...

The boredom hit on about the third day. Books and movies were about the only things that helped pass the time while I was off work. Now that I am traveling again, things are not too bad. Hopefully I should be able to start "playing" again in ~10 days.

Damn Dustin, glad you weren't killed. I really love motorcycles, just don't like the odds. Heal fast, did you get a photo of your bike after the crash?

Take care.

Damn Dustin, sorry to hear you're also on the mend. Like Bryan said, thank God it wasn't worse.

Finally got her to the Orthopedic. Couldn't be much better for what it is. The bone is in the right place, and the gap in the fracture is small. No screws, no surgery, not even a cast! The gave her this really cool "Air boot". It's a ridged splint you strap on, them inflate for firm, comfy support. She can even take it off to bathe. She still can't put weight on it till it starts knitting together, so at this point it's just weekly Xrays.

Again, I'd like to thank everybody that replied. It put's a smile on her face every time I go over and hug her and say "This is from so and so."

Scott

• 2 months later...
see photos -- left ankle was pretty well damaged 2 weeks ago when riding at Whistler Blackcomb... went into a normal toe side turn and caught something on the nose -- it stopped and flipped me up vertically - the snowboard looked like a fence post for a moment.. and then several cartwheels later.. it was a tobaggon ride to the emergency center thanks to ski patrol and an end of my season...

Had surgery last monday -- now I have more Titanium in me than my golf bag has..

The BIG part that sucks is when I got home with my cast -- my new Coiler AM was waiting for me... now it has to wait till next year to see how it rides...Damn it all..I cant golf or bike or ride /// it is damn boring hanging around with my leg elevated.

UPDATE_

I have decided to have the plate and screws removed before the snow flies... surgery is scheduled for Oct 19th... about 6 week recovery -- that puts me right at the 1st - 2nd week of Dec. when my Doc says he will release me to ride.

• 1 month later...

So all summer my left shoulder was in pain whenever I would lay on it in bed and especially after a long session on the Stand Up Paddleboard. MRI back in May showed a torn labrum. While doing SUP on my right side my left hand has to cross my body completely. The bicep tendon was pulling on the labrum and the repetitive motion was really KILLING!

The solution is to cut the tendon near the labrum and then attach it with a screw into the bone. Pulling eliminated. Two weeks later and I am working hard on my therapy. Hope to be snowboarding by late December.... Have to be careful not to fall too soon and pull out the screw. DOH!

Has anyone ever had this type of surgery?

post-8173-141842349693_thumb.jpg

post-8173-141842349696_thumb.jpg

So all summer my left shoulder was in pain whenever I would lay on it in bed and especially after a long session on the Stand Up Paddleboard. MRI back in May showed a torn labrum. While doing SUP on my right side my left hand has to cross my body completely. The bicep tendon was pulling on the labrum and the repetitive motion was really KILLING!

The solution is to cut the tendon near the labrum and then attach it with a screw into the bone. Pulling eliminated. Two weeks later and I am working hard on my therapy. Hope to be snowboarding by late December.... Have to be careful not to fall too soon and pull out the screw. DOH!

Has anyone ever had this type of surgery?

Not quite the same but I had a similar surgury this summer. In my case I had a (completely) torn labrum, broken glenoid, and some lesions to the humeral head. My shoulder had dislocated many times snowboarding (I could always reduce the shoulder myself, or with a little help), and I got hit by a car riding my bike this summer (could not reduce the shoulder myself, had to go to the ER to get it reset). My doctor opted to do an open surgury rather than an arthroscopic surgury because of how screwed up things were, and also because of the way that alpine snowboarding exposes the shoulder to greater risk of reinjury. Our surguries were somewhat different but similar enough that maybe my experiences will be useful to you.

Surgury was four months ago. I was in a sling for about six weeks, PT started at the 2 month mark. I've been in PT for two months. The first month of PT was mostly regaining my range of motion. The second month has been a continuation of that, but with strengthening of the stabilizer muscles as well. I just got the OK to resume my own strength training routies, with the notable exception that I cannot do any pressing motions (no bench, vertical, incline or decline presses). They think I can probably continue doing those in about another month.

I was lucky to have a really fantastic surgeon do all the work, and have a killer therapist for the PT work. Probably the most important thing you can do now is follow all of the instructions you get from your therapist to the letter and provide her with as much information as possible about how your shoulder is feeling. Do your PT homework regularly - it really does help. The progress is slow at first but if you are consistent with your PT, everything will be back to normal in a jiffy.

My arm does not feel normal yet, but it feels much more stable than it has in years. I'm looking forward to a good snowboarding season this year, without the constant worry that my arm is going to dislocate if I make the slightest mistake.

In all probabiliby your recovery will vastly outpace my own, as it seems like what you had done is relatively simple :)

I got hit in the back of my head from an airborn soft boarder.

Rag dolled unconcious into the snow head first. Streched the crap out of my feet (plantar), was out for 5 minutes, broken teeth and had 12 switches in my mouth.

I wear a full face now.

If you ride hard, you never know what will hapen.

This happened going from hard pack to wet soft snow (I'm 230lbs).

Launched myself into the bush after the board broke.

This is a down hill mountain bike helmut - very lite.

It's more cumfortable that a standard ski helmut.

It also saves your goggles in a face plant.

have a safe season

post-3037-141842349719_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey Scott, thanks for the updates and photo of Gretchen in action. Most excellent indeed!! Keep it up!!

Original post link: http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=349470&postcount=149

It is great to hear the outcomes and updates. Thanks, Bryan

• 1 month later...
Well got hit by a skier got hit on my little polio leg. Broke the femur right below the hip so now i got some new cool titanium to put pusbag back together again. see you non the slopes next year.

Crap! Russ, I'm so sorry to hear that, what a terrible way to end the season. Next year at NICE, I propose we egg the offending skier's house en masse (assuming he's a local).

Best wishes for a quick and good recovery.

Well got hit by a skier got hit on my little polio leg. Broke the femur right below the hip so now i got some new cool titanium to put pusbag back together again. see you non the slopes next year.

sorry to hear such terrible news. Hope your recovery is a swift one.