Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Damn Russ, so sorry to here this news. I hope he stopped and left his info. Breaking your leg is no fun. Heal well. Keep us up to date on your progress.
The ironic part is it is part of a string of bad luck for my bday this year. Car engine blew up on wed then for my actuall bday I was riding with my wife and daughter. They decided to ski which they are not as proficient @ then my daughter accidently ran right into my little polio leg. She broke right below the hip. I feel bad for her and saddened @ the end of boarding for the season. However I will be back better than ever with my newly titanium reinforced leg I should be able to a bigger hit.

The ironic part is it is part of a string of bad luck for my bday this year. Car engine blew up on wed then for my actuall bday I was riding with my wife and daughter. They decided to ski which they are not as proficient @ then my daughter accidently ran right into my little polio leg. She broke right below the hip. I feel bad for her and saddened @ the end of boarding for the season. However I will be back better than ever with my newly titanium reinforced leg I should be able to a bigger hit.

Rus, I am SOOOO sorry to hear of your injury. Phooey and bummer and ****.:eek: Glad they put a rod in it - WAY better than other means of repair. I busted my femur years ago and they DO heal rather nicely. In the meantime I hope you're doing well and remember everyday gets BETTER. Know we're all sending positive thoughts:1luvu:

Take care and send up smoke signals if you need anything.

Pusbag, so sorry to hear all the bad news. I've always heard bad things come in threes, so you should have a clean slate now.

Ti is cool stuff, Gretchen is full of it! And, it does not set off metal detectors.

Good vibes from G and I on your recovery.

Bummer, Russ

I can vouch for the merits of Ti as well, having had an IM nail in my right femur for 6 years now. Crutches got old pretty quickly, especially since I tore my left ulnar collateral ligament in the same wreck so had to use a crutch with an armrest taking the load on my elbow. The leg was bloated, oozing and ugly for a week or so, but everything healed up well and it's been perfectly useful since a few months after the fracture. Plan on working pretty hard at rehab - it will pay off.

All the best

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Boarderdude, describe how it happened? How old are you? Yep, Kimo, Myself, and many more on this site have been through this. Did you get a "TI Nail" . Mine was a "High Energy Tib/Fib" fracture. Several days in the hospital in ASPEN, while the SES and snow continued outside. Heal well!!

Good to see you post on the site Kimo. How are you these days?

Drs didnt say how it happend, went down pretty fast. missed a gate, ran into a pile of pow, nose dug in, and cartwheeled. im 14.

So it didn't break the skin? No surgery needed? At 14 you will heal fast and be good to go. Should be able to "Work this" at school!! Got to get your story ready. :ices_ange

nope none of that good stuff :) should be back to normal in 4-5 weeks. haha that should be fun :)

Good deal. Mine? surgery, 15" Ti nail, screws etc. 9 -12 weeks before I could put pressure on it. At 4 weeks it had not really even started to fuse. I was 50ish.

Mine was messed up. 4 or 5 pieces including a spiral fx. Plate and twelve screws. I was told to expect 4 months because of poor blood flow at the location of the fx. At three months, the spiral fx still hadn't started cortical bridging. After 11 months, I finally got the green light for riding SES. That was a fail. I sold back my ticket and cashed in my season pass via pass insurance. Still had fun at SES, though.

Damn Kimo. I knew it was bad. Didn't realize it was that bad. Mine sounds like a piece of cake now.

Did ok last season. I have had some pain in my ankle and lower leg bone. A month ago I went up and had terrible pain in my leg I was not expecting. The back is keeping me away now. Rode today, but I am hurting.

Count your blessings, though.

I'm working a couple shifts as the attending at the Mountain Emergency Services clinic at Mount Hood Meadows.

One of my shifts this year ended up with a 15 year old with paraplegia after a T12 burst fracture. Totally tragic, and sad.

Hi,

Let me describe what happened to me:

In October 2010 i got hit by a skier from behind (and yes he didnt even stop to say he was sorry) and i lost control over my board and crashed realy bad...it didnt realy help that snow was frozen solid, and i was only warming up, since it was my second run of the day...Anyway, i dislocated my shoulder, reduced it and after a quick rest, continued snowboarding (not a good idea, thinking back :D) and dislocated my shoulder again after two hours riding. Then i stoped snowboarding for a month as my doctor told me to, but it didnt help, my shoulder kept poping out, so i stopped snowboarding completely. This helped, until kiteboarding season didnt start...so til the end of summer 2011 i dislocated my shoulder about 10 times. I also had a realy ****ty doctor who would want to operate me, despite the fact that i had also dislocated my shoulder one time douring sleep. So i went to this other doctor who immediately scheduled me for surgery. CT scan showed anterior-inferiorly torn labrum and hill sachs lesion ......while waiting 3 months for surgery, i continued snowboarding, and had no recurent dislocations, because i used some kind of safety leash (i strapped my arm to my belt, so i couldnt lift my arm to high, wich was my "dislocation move" :D). It really helped, except my backside became different. You can see this safety leash on my left arm in this video: http://vimeo.com/33837962 where i am trying new SENSE 181 with flax (which is brilliant btw). Video was shot on my last day snowboarding, 3 days before surgery (i know..im an addict).

So i had my surgery done in december and it went really well (latarjet procedure)...three weeks of sling doing nothing, couple of weeks of mild streching an then a lot of PT. Now after 3 months of hard work i feel almost like before accident, there is still some weaknes, but it is leaving the body :D. I am planning to start snowboarding in the fall and kiteboarding next month, and i cant wait.

Through this experience i realy learnt some lessons, i think that now i will be more aware of what am i doing while carving, and especially what others are doing.

I also changed my helo sentence on my mobile phone from "touch the snow" to "dont touch the snow" :D

Watch your shoulders.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/33837962?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="

">Snowboard carving SENSE 181</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user9684593'>http://vimeo.com/user9684593">gašper oblak</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Kinda looks like you are still choosing to touch the snow?? When did you decide not to?

Really nice slope! Sorry you where injured, heal well.

So I got all staples out and got xrays. Everything looks good and now I can shower & bath like normal too. Kinda weird not having a cast but way better for sure. Next appointment april 17th. Will update after this visit. Peace and heal well all!

We had Thursday night racing at Cypress. Too soft snow, yet we still raced. I took the 1st place on snowboard, then got gready and switched to skis to try for double gold. Nasty wipe out at the bottom of the course, fractured hip... Season over...

This was my first time down the mountain in tobogan, in 38 years of snowsports.

I spent 26 hours in the ER of a nearby hospital, entertainig myself by counting injured skiers/riders (mostly riders actually) and listening to their stories.