Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Sorry to hear of your injury! Can't wait to hear how your boot liners fit with those big ass screws sticking out the back of your foot.Hope they can remove them after it all heals. All i can think of when ever my foot feels uncomfortable(previous broken left ankle) are those screws in yours thanks for sharing the picture! Just recieved my T173 All Mountan UPM Plus. if your not going to be riding the rest of this year better sell the new board and get Bruce working on one of the new ones, Plate specific (It's new) you will not be disappointed. We don't have powder in the east like you spoiled west coasters but riding this new board with a UPM plate makes it feel like powder all day long !!

see photos -- left ankle was pretty well damaged 2 weeks ago when riding at Whistler Blackcomb... went into a normal toe side turn and caught something on the nose -- it stopped and flipped me up vertically - the snowboard looked like a fence post for a moment.. and then several cartwheels later.. it was a tobaggon ride to the emergency center thanks to ski patrol and an end of my season...

Had surgery last monday -- now I have more Titanium in me than my golf bag has..

The BIG part that sucks is when I got home with my cast -- my new Coiler AM was waiting for me... now it has to wait till next year to see how it rides...Damn it all..I cant golf or bike or ride /// it is damn boring hanging around with my leg elevated.

ouch. it looks like they got the bone pretty well aligned though, so probably no issues for recovery. lots of 4% milk.

Just got an idea,how about if i used a boxing glove?

I'd look pretty stupid but maybe i could even drag hand.. boxing glove i meant!

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Go.

Snowboard.

Stop dragging your hands.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

And Al real sorry to hear about your leg. Fast healing and good vibes to you man.

I recommend Netflix. East Bound and Down on disc.

On the live stream stuff - Lie to Me is a great series. Several seasons of British Top Gear. Weeds has been pretty entertaining there are more that I can't think of right now. Plus they have tons of great old and some new movies in there too.

Thanks to all you well wishers.. and your kind thoughts. yea, if it was not for Netflix it would be pretty boring around here -- thanks Carvedog for the suggestions..

Boris -- the doc told me to wait on the screws until we can get a boot on and see how it feels..

This is the first time in 64 years I have needed a cast or broken anything...my great neighbors told me the other night -- we always thought it was just a matter of time with all that crazy stuff you do..:nono:

This is the first time in 64 years I have needed a cast or broken anything...

Al, there always first time...:rolleyes: It's all about pushing one notch higher and get the adrenalin going to the next level :eplus2: It's all about fun:ices_ange. Sorry to hear about yr injury, gd thing yr ok and the Coiler too :p

I had to go thru twice... exactly one year apart minus 1day :eek:

BTW your great neighbour must have a boring schedule ;)

The BIG part that sucks is when I got home with my cast.. my new Coiler AM was waiting for me... now it has to wait till next year to see how it rides...

I have an idea: since our profile almost the same, why don't u send your new Coiler to me :D and I'll give u the free test ride reports, pixs & vid shots and return it when u are ready :biggthump

Heal well bud.

RT:ices_ange

Wow Al, makes my LCL strain look like absolutely nothing. Will you be going through airport security anytime soon?

I've been using a TENS unit on the LCL area to promote scar tissue growth & doing stretches etc. I should be able to ride a few more times before season's end.

This is the first time in 64 years I have needed a cast or broken anything...my great neighbors told me the other night -- we always thought it was just a matter of time with all that crazy stuff you do..:nono:

I feel your pain, only a bit higher, mid-shaft fibula, without the impressive jewelry Over 1000 days on the snow and this is my first break. Perhaps one's number comes up to give you a chance to slow down and reflect and appreciate the gifts that we are given.

Thanks to all you well wishers.. and your kind thoughts. yea, if it was not for Netflix it would be pretty boring around here -- thanks Carvedog for the suggestions..

Boris -- the doc told me to wait on the screws until we can get a boot on and see how it feels..

Box sets/ friend sent me "Lost" = four seasons in a week or so. :smashfrea

They seldom remove the hardware unless it becomes an issue. In my leg they removed some of the screws to allow the bone to move on the 15inch "Nail". This was to promote healing.

Yep, I had not had a serious break for 20 some years of riding until I shattered my arm. Then a violent Tib/ Fib followed by my back in three places. The "Series" really has been rough. Let's hope you can stop at one!!

Find small tables to place around the house, on crutches is very helpful.

"Move what you can" , as soon as you can. Do not be reluctant to get more than one opinion if things are not going well. That is why they call it "Practice" :biggthump

I feel your pain, only a bit higher, mid-shaft fibula, without the impressive jewelry Over 1000 days on the snow and this is my first break. Perhaps one's number comes up to give you a chance to slow down and reflect and appreciate the gifts that we are given.

So true, and how much you have to loose!! You find out in a hurry who are your real friends. I am a very lucky guy. So many came to my aid.

I on the other hand am not a good patient. It was hard to be hurt and without the ability to drive, work, play. Lessons learned for sure. Good luck all those with injury. It is often a time for retrospection and soul searching. Heal fast and come back with vigor! :biggthump:lurk:

Box sets/ friend sent me "Lost" = four seasons in a week or so. :smashfrea

They seldom remove the hardware unless it becomes an issue. In my leg they removed some of the screws to allow the bone to move on the 15inch "Nail". This was to promote healing.

Yep, I had not had a serious break for 20 some years of riding until I shattered my arm. Then a violent Tib/ Fib followed by my back in three places. The "Series" really has been rough. Let's hope you can stop at one!!

Find small tables to place around the house, on crutches is very helpful.

"Move what you can" , as soon as you can. Do not be reluctant to get more than one opinion if things are not going well. That is why they call it "Practice" :biggthump

Damn Bryan you have quite a string going there.. no more ok!

I use the crutches for only going down the stairs - I have a nice 4 wheel Kneeler that gets me around the house and out and about... least I can get out and drive -- not tied to having a helper around me... which I would hate like hell. I am too damn independant -- and my GF tells me that too!

Just looked at my snowboards hanging on the wall-- and just wonder how that nice looking Coiler AM will ride next year.... and then I see my golf clubs with a sad face on them, and I think my new carbon bike has flat tires now.. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
So true, and how much you have to loose!! You find out in a hurry who are your real friends. I am a very lucky guy. So many came to my aid.

I on the other hand am not a good patient. It was hard to be hurt and without the ability to drive, work, play. Lessons learned for sure. Good luck all those with injury. It is often a time for retrospection and soul searching. Heal fast and come back with vigor! :biggthump:lurk:

I have discovered that if I am physically incapacitated, I become a grumpy. My wife and kids have had about enough of me. I don't blame them, I have had enough of myself.

The good news is that I am 24 days post fracture and improving. Every day I walk with less difficulty. In consultation with a orthopedic surgeon on our patrol, he has diagnosed my injury as a Maisonneuve fracture with good stability, not needing surgery. In his words I am lucky the syndesmosis ligament is intact (at least enough to keep the ankle aligned) and that the force was transferred up the interosseous membrane where the energy was dissipated in a proximal fibular fracture. The fibula will heal own it's own.

I would upload pictures, but I had a hard time compressing them below 97 KB and keeping them legible. Instead I am attaching a URL of a fracture very similar to mine.

Just remember, you will heal! You will come back stronger, with renewed passion! Hang in there, it gets better. Keep us updated on your progress.

post-7771-14184233883_thumb.jpg

I have discovered that if I am physically incapacitated, I become a grumpy. My wife and kids have had about enough of me.

+1 to this. I start getting irritable anytime I'm not getting enough physical activity period. In the summer I need to be out cycling, rock climbing whatever. In the winter snowboarding. Working a desk job during the week doesn't exactly help out here.

Cheers,

Dave

I've decided to end my season early this year, because my shoulder just isn't getting any stronger and worrying about it is really affecting my ability to ride well ... so I end up riding badly and dislocating it anyway, which doesn't make much sense. So I'm ending my season early to take care of it, and make sure that it's super strong in time for next year.

So rather than continuing a frustrating season I'm just gonna cut it short, heal up, and hold onto the money that I would be spending on the remainder of this season and apply it to making next season a little more awesome.

I've decided to end my season early this year, because my shoulder just isn't getting any stronger and worrying about it is really affecting my ability to ride well ... so I end up riding badly and dislocating it anyway, which doesn't make much sense. So I'm ending my season early to take care of it, and make sure that it's super strong in time for next year.

So rather than continuing a frustrating season I'm just gonna cut it short, heal up, and hold onto the money that I would be spending on the remainder of this season and apply it to making next season a little more awesome.

Looking at the demographics of most alpine riders, very few of us are still in our 20's, but we haven't lost that 25 yr old mindset. Sometimes you need just stop. If I stopped when my leg was feeling sore from a stress fracture, I would have been able to make my trip to Tahoe and board the epic 10 ft storm that hit 10 days ago. Instead I told myself to ignore it.

Hopefully I will remember this lesson. On the other hand a very wise Betty once told me that you forget these painful events, like childbirth, otherwise there would be no family with more than 1 child.

Sorry about your injury. Metamucil? Heavy drugs and couch time can really mess with your guts. Word to the wise from someone that has been there a few times.

+2 for this one. You just waive a bottle of percocet under my nose and my stomach shuts down for days:nono: the pain from that can be more than the actually injury

Just recieved an email that Kimo has broken his leg.

Broken Left Tibula 4 to 5 breaks very low almost at the ankle, in surgery NOW at St. Anthonys in Frisco. Should be released tomorrow morning. Spirits are good, highest pain tolerance of any man I have ever met. Going to hang around until he gets out of surgery.

Think Snow!

Kimo drove my truck from Aspen all the way to Oregon after I broke my leg. He is one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet.

My thoughts are with you my friend!!. Let me know how I can help.

PS. This is not Kimo's first broken leg either :eek:

Heel thoughts out to you Kimo... I am 3 weeks and 1 day Post-Op on my ankle...

Like Gilmore says -- tired of this keyboard riding.. Plus I keep watching Golf on TV, wishing I could hit a few.

Watching "Anger Management" with Adam S and Jack N. -- that should help...:)