Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

3 hours ago, st_lupo said:

My turn… Small potatoes compared to most.

😎

IMG_7214.jpeg

Did you do that snowboarding? How? About 5 years ago I dislocated my right index finger falling off a mountain bike. It's been crooked ever since. I've become much more careful on my bike. 

18 hours ago, JohnE said:

Did you do that snowboarding? How? About 5 years ago I dislocated my right index finger falling off a mountain bike. It's been crooked ever since. I've become much more careful on my bike. 

Yep snowboarding.  Tried to surf off the top of a berm that looked like pure powder.  Turned out it was pure ice with dust on top.  The nose of the board loaded up like a spring and shot me face first into the top edge of the berm.  My hand landed in between the berm and my chest and... the rest is history.  Luckily just dislocated and while the doctor looked at me like I was kinda stupid, she said she couldn't strongly recommend that I didn't go back riding the same day.  :eplus2:

• 3 months later...

So you have been riding a steep Zinal groomer all morning (the one you see in all of the Swoard videos).  You stop and have a great pizza, soda and lots of water, ready to finish the afternoon!

You ride the longest poma lift you have ever been on, it even has a 30 degree turn in it. Take a cat track around the mountain to get back to the same black diamond groomer you have been riding all morning. Only your 10+ friends you have been riding with all morning at the top of the run.  Carver B. and Chester F. drop in and get about 1/2 way down, I look around, no one else is dropping in, I get nods and drop in.  I am not worried about getting hit from behind at all.  Only our group at top of hill, very little traffic on that run all morning, so I am not doing my usual look up hill frequently (it was only our group I saw we I dropped in).  Next thing I know Paul K is over the top. of me, I am very broken up feeling and wondering what the heck happened.  

I later hear that after I was about 10 turns in, a random skier that lacked skills but had tons of confidence, came past our group and started straight lining down the hill and collided with me.  

I had just transition from a toe side turn to a heel side when the collision happened.  I shot off to the right side of the run into the un-groomed, and the skier slid to the bottom of the slope.  Ski patrol responded to both of us, got us packaged up and separately loaded into two waiting rescue helicopters.  I spent the next 24 hours in a Swiss Hospital.  

9 broken ribs, multiple fractures of my right scapula and minor head trauma with loss of consciousness for 5-10 minutes.  I am a little over 5 weeks from the incident and the ribs have finally quit being horrible, my shoulder is healing nicely and no head issues.  It feels like I should have no long term repercussions.

I am very fortunate to have been wearing a high quality helmet, to have been surrounded by such amazing friends and experienced high quality Swiss care. 

Check your 6 even when you are 100% confident that no one is a threat behind you.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, dredman said:

So you have been riding a steep Zinal groomer all morning (the one you see in all of the Swoard videos).  You stop and have a great pizza, soda and lots of water, ready to finish the afternoon!

You ride the longest poma lift you have ever been on, it even has a 30 degree turn in it. Take a cat track around the mountain to get back to the same black diamond groomer you have been riding all morning. Only your 10+ friends you have been riding with all morning at the top of the run.  Carver B. and Chester F. drop in and get about 1/2 way down, I look around, no one else is dropping in, I get nods and drop in.  I am not worried about getting hit from behind at all.  Only our group at top of hill, very little traffic on that run all morning, so I am not doing my usual look up hill frequently (it was only our group I saw we I dropped in).  Next thing I know Paul K is over the top. of me, I am very broken up feeling and wondering what the heck happened.  

I later hear that after I was about 10 turns in, a random skier that lacked skills but had tons of confidence, came past our group and started straight lining down the hill and collided with me.  

I had just transition from a toe side turn to a heel side when the collision happened.  I shot off to the right side of the run into the un-groomed, and the skier slid to the bottom of the slope.  Ski patrol responded to both of us, got us packaged up and separately loaded into two waiting rescue helicopters.  I spent the next 24 hours in a Swiss Hospital.  

9 broken ribs, multiple fractures of my right scapula and minor head trauma with loss of consciousness for 5-10 minutes.  I am a little over 5 weeks from the incident and the ribs have finally quit being horrible, my shoulder is healing nicely and no head issues.  It feels like I should have no long term repercussions.

I am very fortunate to have been wearing a high quality helmet, to have been surrounded by such amazing friends and experienced high quality Swiss care. 

Check your 6 even when you are 100% confident that no one is a thread behind you.

Very sorry to read this. It’s what we all fear. Glad you’re on the mend and that it wasn’t worse.

Tell us — which helmet?

• Thanks 1

Insanity. Idiots are everywhere. Wish you speedy recovery. Luckily no brain trauma. You have some witnesses if it will be somehow useful in Switzerland. In my case nobody saw anything.

• Thanks 1