Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

20 hours ago, barryj said:

Ouch!  So sorry to hear Scully!

Hopefully its not any  worse and at least your at the tailend of the season if you have to call it done 🤬.....

but I cant imagine any Ortho guy  telling you "Yeah, it's ok to go Snowboarding!"

Hang in there buddy!

BTW, Barry, how’s your recovery coming along?

5 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Barry, how’s your recovery coming along

Recovery has been Painfully Slooow Scully!  They have me,  2 months after the collision finally starting on Concussion PT!  Evidently my Head isn't on right!!  :smashfrea

I got cleared to ride and have been out a few times and it has been difficult!   Only just able to Ride the board, Not able to Drive the  board like before!  ....but it's getting a little better each time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Recovery has been Painfully Slooow Scully!  They have me,  2 months after the collision finally starting on Concussion PT!  Evidently my Head isn't on right!!  :smashfrea

I got cleared to ride and have been out a few times and it has been difficult!   Only just able to Ride the board, Not able to Drive the  board like before!  ....but it's getting a little better each time.

Glad to hear that you are getting better. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 3:51 PM, bigwavedave said:

Riding could make a small injury worse. Even without a scan, a good doc can do simple physical eval for ligament instability, meniscus etc.

Put some ice on it.

If you do go out and ride, get a good brace (not just elastic) that provides lateral stability to prevent further injury.

Good advice and sure enough my primary care doc, who I trust a lot and who has extensive experience with knees (his own and his patients), evaluated my knees today and said do nothing to tweak your injured knee for at least 6 weeks as you want it to heal nice and tight…season over!

I told him there was no swelling and he compared one knee to the other and he said yes there is obvious minor swelling so stay active BUT no rotation or lateral movements.

Fortunately I can row my brains out with only straight force and no discomfort.

He said no need for a scan.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

First year carving. Boarded 23 years, but skidded until this year. Man it’s so addicting railing turns. Made it out over 40 times this year, just picked up a mint F2 Eliminator 166w and took it and my quiver to Moonstone for a last hurrah.

My last hurrah turned out to be an idiot cruise missile slamming into me an hour into the day. Knocked out instantly, didn’t make my next memory until 5 hours later in hospital. Made only a half dozen memories total from 1030 am till the next day.

Thankfully the concussion symptoms have been mostly mild, but I’ve been super careful/restful. So far the worst has been a very angry neck and back, still quite locked up 2 weeks after impact.

On the positive note, I’m still watching carving videos and can’t wait for next season. Also in contact with the legendary Bruce to get my first custom board.

Take care AIL crew and heal up good this summer.

26 minutes ago, CravingCarving said:

First year carving. Boarded 23 years, but skidded until this year. Man it’s so addicting railing turns. Made it out over 40 times this year, just picked up a mint F2 Eliminator 166w and took it and my quiver to Moonstone for a last hurrah.

My last hurrah turned out to be an idiot cruise missile slamming into me an hour into the day. Knocked out instantly, didn’t make my next memory until 5 hours later in hospital. Made only a half dozen memories total from 1030 am till the next day.

Thankfully the concussion symptoms have been mostly mild, but I’ve been super careful/restful. So far the worst has been a very angry neck and back, still quite locked up 2 weeks after impact.

On the positive note, I’m still watching carving videos and can’t wait for next season. Also in contact with the legendary Bruce to get my first custom board.

Take care AIL crew and heal up good this summer.

Very scary…wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CravingCarving said:

still quite locked up 2 weeks after impact.

I would say...Welcome to the Concussion Club CC! ....but don't wish that on anybody!

Glad no broken bones for ya but beware,.... "locked up" feelings lasted over 2 months and 8 visits to the chiropractor for me!  

Hope your recovery goes better than mine..............

16 minutes ago, barryj said:

I would say...Welcome to the Concussion Club CC! ....but don't wish that on anybody!

Glad no broken bones for ya but beware,.... "locked up" feelings lasted over 2 months and 8 visits to the chiropractor for me!  

Hope your recovery goes better than mine..............

Thanks. I went through a serious car accident a few years ago, so I have pre assembled team to help speed up my recovery. Craniosacral, osteopath, chiropractor and massage therapist helping to put me back in working order faster.

If you have any concussion questions, I may have some insight, been a client, member & volunteer of the Ontario Brain Injury Association for the last 7 years now.

• 4 months later...
15 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Doc said I could run on it if I want because it’s not possible to damage it any further. It’s severe arthritis, there is no soft tissue left in the joint. 

Tune into KIRO FM 97.5 Sundays 8:00-9:00 PDT and call Dr Dan Nelson on his radio show. If you have a cd of your MRI or could read the radiologist’s notes to him it would help. Google him. ProOrtho in Kirkland, WA. 
I wouldn’t let any surgeon near any of my joints without getting Dan’s opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I live in Canada.  What some US radio show doc says has no effect on my medical choices.  Both of the surgeons I've consulted with are highly respected and well qualified.

A hammer sees everything as a nail…surgeons do surgery!  You may very well NEED surgery BUT I still wouldn’t let an orthopedic surgeon near me with a knife without at least discussing it with Dan, whether I lived in Canada, India, the US or Timbuktu or whether I had insurance or not!  

7 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Not exactly an alpine injury but I will miss this season as I am going in for hip replacement surgery on Nov 22.  If all goes well I will be back on the snow next year, and hopefully the concrete, too.

Be cautious with a return to concrete, a break through the thigh bone part of a hip replacement is a major problem. I suspect your surgeon's reaction to the idea of you on a skateboard might be entertaining to watch!

28 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Be cautious with a return to concrete, a break through the thigh bone part of a hip replacement is a major problem. I suspect your surgeon's reaction to the idea of you on a skateboard might be entertaining to watch!

I think my bowl riding days are probably done, but I don't feel particularly at risk cruising around on a long board.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Thanks.  The waiting list for hip replacements here is currently around 2 years, so I have elected to have it done privately. 

My buddy here in Ottawa chose to do similar.  Went to Montreal and paid out of pocket to get it done quicker.  He says it was totally worth the money.  In retrospect, he figures he should have done it at least a year earlier.  He was pretty well hobbled and gaining weight by the time he went to Quebec. 

Neil - good luck on your hip replacement. As an inspiration a riding buddy of mine (Arne here on alpinesnowboarder) is 70 years old, has 2x fake knees and 2x fake hips and carves beautifully. 

A bigger problem for him was a dislocated shoulder early last season that kept him off the snow for most of the rest of the season.