Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Just got the ok from my doctor to snowboard. Hopefully the new titanium will keep me from breaking my femur over and over again. Looking forward to putting it to the test!

Good to hear, man! Looking forward to riding together this year! won't be long now! a few more feet of snow should do the trick to get those chairs turning!

Is that "New Titanium" as in replacing old titanium or are you referring to "New Titanium" installed to improve / stabilize the performance of your original collagen - calcium carbonate femur bone? I'll be putting first trax on the newly installed cobalt-chrome wheel bearing here in a few weeks.

Wish you well PB!

new titanium to me. the first time i broke that femur it was only cracked so didnt need to have it set or anything. this time it was in two pieces right below the hip so new rod to hold pusbag together again. the good part is it should be harder to break next time.

Edited by Pusbag
typo

Just got the ok from my doctor to snowboard. Hopefully the new titanium will keep me from breaking my femur over and over again. Looking forward to putting it to the test!

Awesome Pusbag!! I too got the go ahead with my ​titanium. Do we have to compensate for the added weight in our turns:D? As soon as I got the thumbs up I bought my Schweitzer pass. See you there???

Awesome Pusbag!! I too got the go ahead with my ​titanium. Do we have to compensate for the added weight in our turns:D? As soon as I got the thumbs up I bought my Schweitzer pass. See you there???

Any thought to having the metal removed? 11 months ago I had mine taken out after the leg healed. Now I have the 7 Ti screws and Ti Plate - wondering what to make with them.

Al

Some issues with my arm / wrist, they may end up taking out my "T Plate" and seven screws. Not really looking forward to another surgery but?

I asked the surgeon to save the plate , I am going to make a "bolo tie" out of it. :) Maybe a bottle opener? I already have a collection of cool ti screws from the leg. I do NOT want to think about them taking out the "15" Nail " out of the tibia.

• 1 month later...

Ankle surgery 2 days before Thanksgiving. Bond spur removal 5-6mm. followed by insane joint swelling in several areas.

Some secondary issue, could possiby be Gout. as if I was being hit with a hammer every 20 seconds.. worst part is... No Nsaids (bad for kidneys clearing uric acid), no aspirin (makes blood acidic causes Uric acid crystal formation), no Ice (causes uric acid crystals to form). Allergis to Percoset, can't fo vicodin either. Pretty much no solution for pain... just another one of those days.

Had to take a wheelchair on the plane.

Ankle dorsi-flexion should eventually be perfect....eventually.. :o

Foot is too big to fit into anything smaller than an oversized ugg boot. Sore sore sore.

Maybe Feb. if everything were to go miraculously well and stars aligned well... doubting it...... Maybe next Nov. :(

On the bright side. Hans Jurg Kessler is going to make me a replacement board, good thing I did not get it made for this season. I'll have all summer to mull over a design.

Most scary.... if no meds or anything works on this..maybe NEVER. I'll have to go 100% into design/manufacturing....ugggh. I knew I should have gotten more video shots .

Or I will have to look into joint replacement. When are those nanobots going to be ready anyhow?

Time to finish designing the worlds most accurate car audio system. 2000 watts of sweet McIntosh amps and and an ultra rare imported Nakamichi remote pre-amp, Scan Speak 12M Midrange ... add a little 24bit/192kHz signal upsampling to 384kHz with killer parametric EQ stuffed into a Handbuilt Benz. I'll be sitting around, but loving it.

I wonder if I will miss a banner year?

Edited by John Gilmour

Hi John. I wish you the best in healing. Funny, I had a good friend say the other day " I want to get more video of you this season" . I appreciated the thought, knowing I have hours upon hours of past girlfriends and buddies. Fortunately I do have some fun footage. I know he was thinking "Bryan is pretty messed up and past his prime, hope we get a chance". I do mean this is the kindest of veins. Health is very fleeting. Enjoy!!

John,

Thomas Jefferson "Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now"

Ever heard of food grade hydrogen peroxide as a treatment for gout amongst other things?I am just too much of a cynic of most things that governments tell us to do.:rolleyes:

Wish you well with whatever treatment you have:)

Edited by floBoot

• 1 month later...

Took a tumble a month ago. Late Saturday at Sugar, NC. Light was flat. I hit some bumps in the snow, medium speed. Board went out from underneath me, and I landed on my head and shoulder. As my body caught up, I heard what sounded like a crunching sounds coming from my chest.

Had to sit down for a couple of minutes after that, and felt a little nauseous. It passed. No double vision. Rode down to the bottom. The helmet did it's job. Pain subsided from my shoulder down after a while and migrated over to the chest area.

That day was quite an adventure; the snow was making the race course very rutted, and several folks were hauled down the slope with damage. Our race captain (skier) trashed his ACL that day and is out for the season.

I was contemplating taking the next day off, but as so many others had been damaged worse, I put in my race runs, and did a little free-riding; keeping things conservative.

My chest area on the right side was quite painful for a few days, especially to sleep on. I'm guessing bruised ribs. It was somewhat painful for a couple of weeks. Today, just over a month later, I can still tell, but the pain is now barely noticeable, and only apparent when I move in an unusual way.

Anyhow, that's the first injury snowboarding in a long time.

Well my season is over, I broke my talus in the classic "snowboarders break". See you guys next season.

Very sorry to hear that Tug. Do you need surgery? Hope not. Where you soft booting? :nono:

post-198-141842385511_thumb.jpg

The talus (TAY-lus) is a small bone that sits between the heel bone (calcaneus) and the two bones of the lower leg (tibia and fibula). It has an odd humped shape, somewhat like a turtle. The bones of the lower leg "ride" on top and around the sides to form the ankle joint. Where the talus meets the bones of the foot, it forms the subtalar joint, which is important for walking on uneven ground. The talus is an important connector between the foot and the leg and body, helping to transfer weight and pressure forces across the ankle joint.

The talus fracture is normally a forced dorsiflexion/axial loading injury, rather than a twisting injury, which is why it can happen in hard boots as well as soft boots. Twisting injuries happen more commonly in soft boots. Unclear whether new boots would specifically help, but dampening of the board with one of the softer plates, decreasing the forward lean setting of the boot, and decreasing the ability of the boot to flex forward (stiffening the boot) would all decrease the stress and loading on the talus.

If you have any displacement of the fracture you should definitely have surgery to fix it. Leaving it displaced significantly increases the risk of avascular necrosis, a condition that leads to significant arthritis in the mid foot.

Edited by drschwartz

Just a positive note.....the new wheel bearing held up for 6 days of SES. Granted, I'm punching out once it's lumpy, unless fluffy. That makes 26 days of riding so far. I did take a stinger at 1st trax yesterday, but it feels like a nerve/tissue issue. Let's hope technologies like these will continue to be available for all of us to continue chasing this passion!

Heal fast!