Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Is it just me having not paid that much attention in the past, or has this season been especially heavy on big injuries?

I feel that way too although it could just be one of those things like when you buy a new car and you all of a sudden see it everywhere on the road where as before you did not. I just had my second and final surgery on Tuesday so ever day is better then the last for me. A cadaver bone, two screws and stabilization of the fracture should make way for a great 2012-13 winter, a winter I am already looking forward to.... First healing and tons of PT. good luck with the collarbone and I hope you find comfort in the fact you aren't the only one down and out on the AIL...

Is it just me having not paid that much attention in the past, or has this season been especially heavy on big injuries?

Hard to say for sure, in past seasons reports were probably less likely to be posted. One of the ideas behind the "AIL" thread was to make sure we were aware of our fallen alpine friends. I know from being injured myself that our community is particularly giving and kind. Well wishes to those who were hurt this past season and speedy recover. Bryan

First checkup and xrays with orthopedic surgeon, yesterday - things are going well! Nothing mouved and healing well, no op required. I can walk without crutches already, but limping a lot. Shouldn't do anything excessive until next xrays in 4 weeks.

First checkup and xrays with orthopedic surgeon, yesterday - things are going well! Nothing mouved and healing well, no op required. I can walk without crutches already, but limping a lot. Shouldn't do anything excessive until next xrays in 4 weeks.

In three weeks?? Damn. In my legs case it was 6 weeks before they decided to do a second surgery to remove the pins at one end of the nail because little healing (calcification) had occurred. It was nearly nine weeks before I could apply pressure. How old are you?? Damn. Good for you.

... How old are you?? Damn. Good for you.

43... I always healed quickly. Yet, this was surprising even for me. Everybody around me think I'm nuts for walking. Doctor wasn't too perplexed, though.

I guess the crack is on the side, so it doesn't really bear weight unless I do sidways or twisting mouves.

Four weeks ago

broken tibia, 3 days before nationals. how much does this suck.
got to the dr last friday. everythings going well, got a short cast and I am walking on it. knee hurts quite a bit thought.

Thanks BoarderDude for the update. Sounds like you are well on your way back. Can we sign your cast? Bomber sticker??

Boris -- what the hell did you you do? or did I miss a post here?

FYI - It has been a great year in Whistler -- 5 trips for me this season and nothing broken.

Al

I am now taking steps on the broken leg. Feels good so far. Not able to gimp around like normal yet but I'll get there. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I will be back on the board riding as good as ever. Glad to hear everyone else is healing well.

Note to self (and anybody else interested):

Remember this next Spring: The snow is getting soft and heavy out on the edges of the groomers. Don't count on popping out of a deep carve with a little extra angulation at the last second! You can sprain an ankle quite nicely even in a well-fitted hardboot!

Saturday was great while it lasted, but I'm afraid my season is over. I got back to the lodge from about as far away as possible without help, but it wasn't much fun. It looks better today than some sprains I've incurred so next year I'll have a scar-toughened joint under me.

Add me to the list although not boarding at the time. Was doing pushups. Next thing I know Triple Bypass. This coming from a 63 year old 5'9" 142 lb. really good aerobic shape, having given up red meat, almost all cheese, fried foods, and most things that would clog a carwash drain. Father 1st heart attack at 41 dead at 61. Doing fine, no heart damage, knew enough to go to emergency with the slightest odd feeling from chest to upper right arm, maybe equivalent to less than one pound of pressure. So I'm just dropping this note to make you guys aware that you should read this book (no I don't get a cut).

http://www.amazon.com/Prevent-Reverse-Heart-Disease-Nutrition-Based/dp/1583333002/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335887500&sr=1-1

Fully expect to be fitter because my heart is pumping considerbly more blood with the bypass. So I hope you take note.

Edited by bumpyride

Bumpyride -

From what I understand, you can do everything right but you can't change your genetics. Genetics play a greater role than we think. Hope you heal well.

That's exactly what the Heart Docs said. Because of me they're changing how much of a greater roll that they are placing on the genetic factor. If I had implemented the Animal Free diet 20 years previously chances are it wouldn't have happened. You can't change the genetics, but you can keep the genetics from turning on with the right diet. Same holds true for Diabetes, Macular Degeneration, Cancer and a host of other diseases. Chances improve with diet, and I fully expect the be clearing out the cholesterol (which is an pretty much solely an animal product) with a statin and continuing on a more vegan diet. This is why I put in the link to the book.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. My real hope is that some will read and prevent this from happening.

BTW, the typical symptoms are usually LEFT arm pain and chest pressure. Granted you can have almost any kind of symptom, I've even seen someone with a "weird toothache" who ended having a heart attack. But when physicians talk about "typical angina", this usually means chest pressure, possibly with pain radiating to the left arm, sometimes associated with shortness of breath, sweatiness, or nausea, and associated with exertion.

Mine was no pain, slight unease, nothing I wouldn't have disregarded a couple of years back. Lots of stories in the Hospital from Nurses whom had lost their husbands in their 40's. One thought he had a cold, another was a miserable SOB and his wife said "I know I should feel bad.", another just dropped.

Two weeks ago I had a retinal detachment and tear in the right eye, went to the dr. and he did in office lazer treatment to secure it from getting worse. Couple days later I had a "Giant" retina tear / detachment. With emergency surgery that day. Three hours of surgery they installed a "Buckle" around the outside of the eye and stitched that on, removed was remained of the vitreous material, lots of repairing the damages and more lazer surgery to tack it down. Large gas bubble injected in the eye to help "float" the retina back. Several days of "Face Down" positioning then alternating vertial positioning with face down. I am still pretty much blind in the right eye. After todays visit the surgeon states it is where he would expect it to be with minimal slippage. It will be weeks before what sight I have in the eye returns. I am anxious but hopeful.

Thank you to those who knew about my issues and offered help. Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. I am encouraged by todays checkup.

Bryan

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Holy crap Bryan, how did you do that? I couldn't even read your description, it had me squirming in my chair.

If it makes you feel any better, my dad lost vision in one eye as a kid and still was able to race cars & snowmobiles competitively. Your brain figures out other ways to judge distance after a short while. Your snowboarding fun is not in jeopardy.

Best of luck!