Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Sigh, I get to join the club.  Season ended a few weeks ago when I went to drive into a toeside.  Wound up up washing out and slamming my side into the snow, with my arm up way too high (I really don't know why).  Shoulder went *pop*...partially torn pec tendon at the humerus.  Did I say sigh?

I have 2 ruptured discs and the MRI looks like I have Gummie Worms attached to da spin. One Quack wanted to cut right away, another one said try the shots...2 yrs ago. They both strongly recommended giving up the carve. Went with the shots and continue to carve. !!!!! Oh my thigh tingles all the time but im carving!

Blew a disc in 06 and took 2 shots to continue to ride. Caused nerve damage and foot drop that never came back. My leg has lost about 20% of the muscle in my shin. This year I didnt stick to my training regiment and my leg and back have been burning since early Feb. 1 disc looks like its almost gone. Hope getting back to the gym will help.

10371658_813059525449026_632672155534566

I forgot about this Thread!  

I can contribute.

2/2/2015 @ about noon, sun was just coming out.  . At Copper.   I'd just met Bjorn and Erik Leines  (that was pretty cool) while one of their Celtek Marketing folks was tossing some free stuff around.  Scored a Hot Pink Gator for my daughters to fight over.

Anyway I got wrecked when I caught a rut at a trails edge and got launched off-line, off-axis, backwards and into a padded hydrant.  

5 broken ribs and a punctured lung.   Had to drive back to Salt Lake like that, move luggage, catch a plane.  I am just starting to feel even a little bit like my normal self.  

Only thread in the forum that you would rather NOT contribute to.

Couple of steroid shots and some Naprosyn and now my knee is tolerable again. Unfortunately now my back is out of whack! Oh well, at least my girls finished 4th at States last week. Not bad for a team based at a mountain with no snow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well here we are again. I was having the winter of my life until mid January. Knee kept flaring and getting very swollen. Nothing new, no crash or strain. Just old shit, worn out that said your hip may be fine but I am ailing. Went through steroid shots, rest, PT and it would still just go off. I asked my doc if we could arthroscopy it back into carving compliance.  His reply was "you really don't have enough meniscus left to arthroscopy and your knee is supporting itself on arthritis….."

So I am 4 days out from having a new "Stryker Triathlon" right knee installed. Tapering off the drugs already and it feels weird but seems pretty strong and stable. Except for those couple of things that really don't feel good. 

I'll be back. Soon. 

I forgot about this Thread!  

I can contribute.

2/2/2015 @ about noon, sun was just coming out.  . At Copper.   I'd just met Bjorn and Erik Leines  (that was pretty cool) while one of their Celtek Marketing folks was tossing some free stuff around.  Scored a Hot Pink Gator for my daughters to fight over.

Anyway I got wrecked when I caught a rut at a trails edge and got launched off-line, off-axis, backwards and into a padded hydrant.  

5 broken ribs and a punctured lung.   Had to drive back to Salt Lake like that, move luggage, catch a plane.  I am just starting to feel even a little bit like my normal self.  

holy macro... Sorry to hear that, Dave.

Take care yourself. Our season is DONE and you got more than enough times to heal up.   And I recommend you to ride shorter deck... seriously. 

Dave,

Good luck with the new knee. Still trying to put off getting mine done. Think I'm going to make it another year.[emoji41]

Take your time getting back to heavy activity, but if things go well and you work on strengthening you have a good shot at next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I had done to my knee, if anyone is in the market for a partial.  This works for a medial, a patella femoral, a lateral, or a patella femoral in conjunction with a medial or patella femoral (they can currently do 2 compartments and save all ligaments.  My bad (now good) knee can touch my buttocks when fully flexed.  I can work on my knees for hours a day.  It does get a little sore once in a while, but only till the next morning.  Can do 25K worth of moguls during the day and have no problem.  I am not running any more, but biking, climbing, hiking, and hardbooting with bootpacking.

This might make someone a bit squeamish, but you should see what they do for the other procedures.  BTW, I was off pain pills in 1 day, and walking 3 miles plus in a week.  Feel free to ask any questions.

holy macro... Sorry to hear that, Dave.

Take care yourself. Our season is DONE and you got more than enough times to heal up.   And I recommend you to ride shorter deck... seriously. 

No worries Pius - Love hurts.   NOW (04/01) my season is done.  Just got back form three days in VT (Killington) where I hiked some, rode well, didn't get injured any further and even helped graduate a hardbooter to bigger boards.  I accept that I will ride shorter boards someday out of necessity, but not yet.  

• 2 months later...

Nine weeks out from total knee replacement and starting to forget I had it done sometimes. Still on very low dose hydrocodone, but taking days off here and there. Still using 400 mg Ibu in the morning and sometimes at night. Did a week long river trip at 7 weeks that went off well. Wobbly rocks and getting in and out of the raft were challenging but not unmanageable. 

I might have actually PTed too hard. I think I started to get some tendonitis of some kind. Took a couple days off with just spinning and I feel much better. 

So that is the first progress report. I will update down the road as this may help other carvers looking at options. Summer just happened today. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Since it did already snow at the summit, I guess this could be the first post to AIL of the 15/16 season.

Happened last Friday, September 11th.  Downhilling at Whitefish Mountain Resort.

Reduced day of, but surgery not yet scheduled and less than 3 month 'til opening.  Bad timing.

This could affect my snowboarding season.

post-845-0-16995100-1442371903_thumb.jpg

One week post crash.

Details... 

Day 25 on my summer bike pass. 

Bike was a Specialized Demo 7 (real DH bike).

Was wearing Dainese Performance Jacket (forearm, elbow, shoulder, chest, back protection), knee/shin guards, full face helmet.

Feature was a ramp to gap drop in the "drop park" at the start of the Overflow trail.  Not X-games or Rampage stuff... just a gap to drop off a ramp.

But I blew the landing and tanked hard at the bottom.

I got help off the mountain; first thing I did after dragging my sorry self out of the landing zone was call ski/bike patrol.

It was dislocated about 4 inches, and hurt like hell.

Still hurts like hell one week later; all bound up to immobilize it because there are fragments off the humeral head - no moving the humerus.

Surgery to tidy things up scheduled for next Thursday in Missoula with  Dr. Larry Stayner.

No MRI yet, but will get one day before surgery.  ER CT scan alone was enough to justify scheduling. 

He set aside 2.5 hours for it.  Dunno if that's good or bad.

Hoping for a complete and strong recovery...

Oh, and then there are the cracked ribs...  joy, joy.

Thanks for the well wishes.  Ride On!

Edited by johnasmo

Update.  Had shoulder surgery last Thursday, Sept 24th.  Finally saw the operation report today.

Diagnoses:

1. Rotator cuff tear involving the subscapularis (tendon on the front of the shoulder)
  2. Greater tuberosity fractures superior and posteriorly migrated, greater then 5mm.   (the rest of the cuff tendons intact but with the bone they're attached to fractured from the head of the humerus)
  3. Loose body, glenohumeral joint.  (bone chip floating around)
  4. Biceps subluxation.  (“grossly” subluxed, dislocated out of groove, biceps tendon)

Bad, but not as bad as I first feared.  It could have been even worse.  Bone heals better than tendons, so fracturing was a good thing, and the cartilage and labrum of the socket in the shoulder blade were still intact.

The reassembly surgical procedures were:

1. Rotator cuff repair involving subscapularis (sew up torn tendon, typical rotator cuff repair ends here)
  2. Subacromial decompression (grind off bone from above the rotator cuff tendons to make more room for them to move freely)
  3. Biceps tenodesis (screwing biceps tendon to head of humerus just below the shoulder instead of where evolution put it)
  4. Greater tuberosity fixation (anchor bone fragments from head of humerus back where they belong)
  5. Loose body remove (remove the floating bone chip that came off somewhere unimportant)

The doctor seems to think the outcome was good, so hoping for a speedy recovery.

I only feel the ribs now when I sneeze.  :)