Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Well my 2nd wheel bearing went in last Thursday, Doc said it was in worse shape than the 1st, was surprised it was as functional as it was. Pulls behind the boat should be just 14 weeks of therapy away, goal #1. With SES2015 moved back to the second week of February, attending will be goal #2. Helping Beth be ready to join me, goal #3. Stoked, but also realize that goals #1 & 2 will likely be tougher than the last time.

Heal well my friends and enjoy your off-seazon.

He means BHR. Birmingham Hip Replacement. A specific metal-on-metal hip resurfacing procedure from Smith and Nephew Corp. which has not suffered from the same failures that other metal-on-metal hip replacements have had. Glad to see you back riding with it, but take it down a notch and be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He means BHR. Birmingham Hip Replacement. A specific metal-on-metal hip resurfacing procedure from Smith and Nephew Corp. which has not suffered from the same failures that other metal-on-metal hip replacements have had. Glad to see you back riding with it, but take it down a notch and be safe!

Thanks Doc!

A fair dose of Oxy talking Saturday.

My Ortho's approach was not to dial back my riding, dial back some of the other, higher impact activities. As such competitive bare footing and volleyball (altogether). My shoulders and spine take me off the board when it gets too push piled or bumpy anyway....but my golf game is improving lol!

I would recommend this procedure to anyone as long as they are prepared for following direction to the letter. The recovery is longer and more painful than a complete replacement and rehab takes significant motivation. But the end results have been good for me.

Thanks Doc!

A fair dose of Oxy talking Saturday.

My Ortho's approach was not to dial back my riding, dial back some of the other, higher impact activities. As such competitive bare footing and volleyball (altogether). My shoulders and spine take me off the board when it gets too push piled or bumpy anyway....but my golf game is improving lol!

I would recommend this procedure to anyone as long as they are prepared for following direction to the letter. The recovery is longer and more painful than a complete replacement and rehab takes significant motivation. But the end results have been good for me, taking slalom runs behind the boat 14 weeks after surgery, but I would say "complete" recovery is about a year and a half.

Edited by Algunderfoot

Postscript.....

Fractured Tib-Fib was on Feb 28th and the cast came off two weeks ago. I'm back to playing golf although transferring weight to the left side is still painful. I'll be ready when winter returns.

It was too late to cancel my trip to the NASTAR Nationals so I went out anyhow as a photographer and cheerleader. The trip was a blast. I mounted retractable spikes on my crutches and was able to hike well up the courses to take pictures. I even got a chance to pose with AJ Kitt and Ted Ligety.

post-75-141842416585_thumb.jpg

Can't wait for next winter!

Surfing Newport Beach River Jetties today... Got hit in the heel by a good sized sting ray...Two steps into the water and boom right into the back side of my left heel. Hurt like a mother trucker. I know its minor but its awful early to have rays so close to the waterline with the water still cold. Hope I don't have any complications. I have plans to ride Mammoth this weekend for one last hoorah and my room is already paid for. :angryfire:freak3:

• 4 weeks later...

So I thought I might post up here and see if anyone remembers me. For the last 4 years and 5 months life has been a lot of pain. It's getting better now.

I was teaching in uniform and on the clock when I was struck from behind by an out of control skier. I was sure I had blown my back out. I had lots of numbness, tingling, burning up and down my left leg. Lots of pain in the left hip ( and trauma) and lots of low back pain.

After seeing two different back doctors, four different orthropods, three separate Independent (hah) Medical Exams, five sets of X-rays, one MRI, 4 hour deposition and hundreds of phone calls and letters I am on the mend. I just had a total hip replacement about 10 days ago. Even my ortho when we were going over the last minute stuff and he looked at my right leg and said "two ACL repairs on that leg? Usually that would be the leg I would do the hip on first".

He works with lots of athletes up here and said if everything goes well with healing there will be no restrictions. So that means that there may be some completely rutted conditions occurring on a regular basis here in Sun Valley next season. STill have lots of healing to do, but I think it's going to work.

Edited by carvedog

Thanks Guys. I do appreciate it. Still on the fence about suing these guys and partially why I didn't post up much before. It was such a long drawn out process and I thought it was my back for so long.

Progress report two weeks two days post op: First PT yesterday. She said I was doing great. Of course parts of it hurt like hell but I did it and got on the ice pack for a while after.

And then this morning - I woke up …… without pain. No low back pain, no knee pain and no incision area pain ( until I got up and started moving). My brain went ohhh so that is what it should be like. Literally four years plus since I have had that. So carvedog is on the mend. I have forced carving from my mind for the last few years but already with this bit of healing it seems like I can't stop thinking about ripping huge ruts on everything. I keep thinking of that low rumbly growl that a deeply flexed board sinking into the hardback makes.

King crimson, I've got one of those in my tibia. How was the surgery to get it out? Not bothering me to bad yet but the screws are a pain. They're inhibiting my running for sure.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I hadn't been able to run since mine was placed, way too much pain at the knee and lower screws. I did some soft booting with it in but was greatly limited.

Mine was apparently one of the worst my ortho had done because it was set so deep and the placing surgeon hadn't threaded on some accessory cap to the nail to make removal easier. I don't know if I've ever had a doctor apologize to me before :lol:My ankle and the fracture point feel great already, there weird stiffness and aching I had are completely gone.

He said that I could expect to feel like it never even happened with how much bone growth I had on the portal for the rod.

The knee pain is still very bad, but I was able to walk with full weight bearing the day after the surgery. I was still on crutches until day five, now I'm just limping around. I'm not sure what your experience was like, but it's about as much pain as you experience after doing something stupid with the rod in.

Here's a very good first-person video of the surgery I found on youtube.

• 1 month later...

Many of the long time members will recall member Bob Jenney. I see a post on FB that he received a bad break in a bike race recently. I hope Bob heals fast and well.

From FB posts:

The femur is shattered. (More than 14 breaks I am told as I haven't viewed x-rays myself)
took a good digger at the Cape state race today. Bob broke his left femur pretty good. He's been transferred to Brigham and Woman's and will undergo surgery in the morning.
He is out of surgery, the fracture went into the knee and he needed cartilage repair.

Old and broken dude update...

This'll be short as I'm really groggy from the drugs and in a ton of pain.

Surgery went well. My biggest concern was tendon and ligament damage. While there is trauma, nothing is torn or damaged beyond repair. This is a big relief.

Lot's of metal holding all the little bone pieces together.

Doc says 2 months on the inside for weight bearing and 6 months or more for the soft tissue to come back to full function.

Lot's of painful rehab ahead of me but, I'm up for it.

Thanks a ton to everyone for the well wishes. Sorry to respond in a blast to all but, it's just too hard to focus.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

• 3 weeks later...
So I thought I might post up here and see if anyone remembers me. For the last 4 years and 5 months life has been a lot of pain. It's getting better now.

I was teaching in uniform and on the clock for a very major scumbag ski corporation when I was struck from behind by an out of control skier.

Just saw a little note in the "Mountain Towns" section of our paper that a district court in Idaho issued a $447,000 judgement against a skier who was out of control and hit another skier at Sun Valley. Don't know if that case helps you at all, but it gives some hope - at least it's the right message.

Sorry you got hit and your evil employer treated you so badly. Hope the hip and associated parts continue to mend ....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Starting off the new year posting to this list rather than replying to it. Hurt my knee when I was 16 years old, broke off some cartilage in my right knee. Problems on and off for last few years, but unfortunately this year it hurts continually, and is regularly swollen. Now on daily NSAID therapy. Had one corticosteroid injection which caused a flare. Maybe going to try Hyaluron next. Trying to get through this season at least before succumbing to a knee replacement. Getting old sucks - but I guess not getting old sucks worse.

drschwartz

Sorry to hear of your trouble.  I know many have benefited from your posting over the years.   You will have to live vicariously through the youngsters you coach. 

Please let use know how it goes. I know I will be hoping the best recovery possible to occur.  Bryan 

Starting off the new year posting to this list rather than replying to it. Hurt my knee when I was 16 years old, broke off some cartilage in my right knee. Problems on and off for last few years, but unfortunately this year it hurts continually, and is regularly swollen. Now on daily NSAID therapy. Had one corticosteroid injection which caused a flare. Maybe going to try Hyaluron next. Trying to get through this season at least before succumbing to a knee replacement. Getting old sucks - but I guess not getting old sucks worse.

Is microfracture an option?  My wife is 10 months post-surgery and everything is great so far...

Sure many of you remember John Philkill (Gizmo inventor)...John has had shoulder surgery and is mending (painfully). Of course no snowboarding this year which I know is killing him...Wishing him a full and speedy recovery. Next year my brutha'...Next year...Sure he'd appreciate hearing any encouragement from his brothers/sisters in the trenching business  :^)