Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Waboarder is down!! Just spotted this on the PNW ride board. Warren is a great guy that puts allot into his riding.

Very sorry to hear about this .

I tagged a tree with my knee completely tearing my ACL,MCL,PCL and ripping the quad muscle off the bone. Season over,

maybe able to return next. Have to wait and see.

Uh-oh, Pat's down! Broken tib-fib at Stratton today. I'm sure he'll post more details.

That sucks. Was at eces this week and it was the first time back in hard boots since I broke my tib-fib last March. Wish you a speedy recovery Pat. Best advice is don't rush your recovery. It can cause more harm than good.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Edited by keltacer
damn autocorrect

Uh-oh, Pat's down! Broken tib-fib at Stratton today. I'm sure he'll post more details.

Darn it!!! So sorry to hear this. Been a rough week for injuries. Fortunately Pat stays in great shape and should recover well, even if he is older than I am :) . Wish you well Pat!! Been there. Two words "Stool Softner" , get some! Weeks on the narcotics we jamb you up!!

Thanks guys!

post-75-141842411439_thumb.jpg

Not sure what happened. I was laying down a nice toeside carve in the best conditions I've ever seen when something happened. I'm told there might have been a bump or something left by the groomers. All I know was that I flipped forward violently and twisted sideways. The edge of the board caught and the impact was enough to pull the front boot right out of the binding. When I put weight on it I was pretty sure it was broken. X-rays confirmed it. Nothing is displaced but pressure from the Tarsus could cause that problem. I'll see my local Ortho (I have him on speed dial) on Tuesday to see if surgery is needed.

I'll still go out to the NASTAR Nationals but as an observer, not as a racer. I'm working on pencil drawings of all the pacesetters and will give them the originals. I'll get them to autograph copies. I think I have enough time to finish them now. Here's what I have so far:

Ted Ligety

post-75-14184241144_thumb.jpg

Stacey Cook

28b7mgn.jpg

Heidi Voelker

jt99go.jpg

Presently working on drawing of Kaylin Richardson and still need to do AJ Kitt, Steven Nyman, Nolan Kasper, and Chris Klug. Yep, Chris returns this year as a pacesetter.

post-75-141842411436_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry to see that you're hurt Pat.I hope you heal fast and well. I am impressed by your drawing skill!Another thing we have in common-I used to think I would augment my income with my portrait work,but it was 80% business and 20 percent drawing-took the fun right out of it.Looks like you're having fun at it.Great stuff!

Sorry to hear the bad news Pat. I was looking forward to racing with you at Snowmass. I sprained my ankle almost 3 weeks ago riding softies on a bx board. Hit a compression and hyper flexed my back ankle. Can ride hard boots, but it hurts the ankle bone a bit.

Hope to see you at Snowmass in a few weeks. And take care of that ankle.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. And Dingbat - give a hug to the younger better looking sister for me! :ices_ange

Got some comparatively good news yesterday. The local Ortho took more X-rays. There's no separation at the breaks, no swelling, and minimal pain. He's recommending no surgery! I'll be on crutches for six weeks. I just ordered retractable spikes for my crutches so I can watch the races at Snowmass.

Just finished the drawing of Kaylin Richardson.

post-75-141842412064_thumb.jpg

So glad to hear this Pat. Surgery is half the damage and distress. It really can mess you up!! I am glad that it is available and I understand how it provide immediate stability. It is also intrusive and so far I have had to have some of the metal removed and it looks like I might have to have a 15" nail removed from my leg. That is pretty serious surgery once again year later.

So, great news!! You will heal fast!! I had a pair of the "Crampons" for mine at SES 2006, icy sidewalks etc. Friends where there to make sure I didn't go down. Icy steps and then lots of stairs to the basement. All on serious meds three days after surgery! Glad to be past that one!!!

Heal fast!

Great drawings, I like the eyes in this most recent drawing, that must be very difficult!! Impressive!

It's been 5 years since an unidentified hardbooter hit me at Bachelor OES. Just want to say that while I recovered from my injuries and I still ride, his actions (#1. I was below him on the hill and #2. He never 'fessed up, just left me) that day were unconscionable. However, HE knows HE did it and lives (somehow) with that daily.

It's been 5 years since an unidentified hardbooter hit me at Bachelor OES. Just want to say that while I recovered from my injuries and I still ride, his actions (#1. I was below him on the hill and #2. He never 'fessed up, just left me) that day were unconscionable. However, HE knows HE did it and lives (somehow) with that daily.

So glad to hear you have recovered. I remember this, it was very hard to believe at the time the person was a part of the OES group. I had hoped the mystery had been solved and resolved. Shameful indeed. Good to hear from you after all this time. Bryan

Max! Long time no see, how are you doing? Didn't you do a medical aid trip down to South America during last year's NICE? How did that go?

It really bothers me that a member of the community pulled a hit and run on you. I know this is a world where people run down children in crosswalks, but still, carver on carver is a new low. I'm glad to hear that you're recovered and you're still hitting the slopes. My wife is currently alpine curious...maybe one day you can show her the ropes? I have to think that would be less tense than trying to teach her myself. :)

Hiho, Dan:

Great to hear from you and YES TOO long no see!!! Yup, I've missed the last two NICE sessions cuz I've been in Ecuador. Sadly, we always go in Jan. and when NICE got bumped earlier......well, I no can go. It was a great success - 29 cases in 5 days! Lotsa smiles and hard work. Glad to hear your wife is interested in hardbooting. Yes, I'd love to show the little I know. It would be WAY fun to see you again and meet her:D Are you coming over this way anytime soon?

Hiho, Dan:

Great to hear from you and YES TOO long no see!!! Yup, I've missed the last two NICE sessions cuz I've been in Ecuador. Sadly, we always go in Jan. and when NICE got bumped earlier......well, I no can go. It was a great success - 29 cases in 5 days! Lotsa smiles and hard work. Glad to hear your wife is interested in hardbooting. Yes, I'd love to show the little I know. It would be WAY fun to see you again and meet her:D Are you coming over this way anytime soon?

Oh, I didn't realize your trip to Ecuador was every year...I am selfishly disappointed that you can't make it to NICE (with your traveling bar :) ), but good for you -- you're doing great work there.

We don't have any firm plans for a Idaho ski trip together at the moment, but we've kicked it around a few times -- I know she would love Schweitzer's terrain and lack of crowds. At this point, it would probably be next season though. If we can make it come together, I will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This is my left elbow on the first weekend of March, after stopping to tighten up my boots and getting nailed by an out-of-control skier...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30732[/ATTACH]

It was out-of-joint for about 3 hours... The folks at the first-aid shack were concerned that it might also be broken so they called me an ambulance so that I could get some X-rays. The folks at the hospital decided that it was simply dislocated. So they had one person pull back on my upper arm while another pulled forward on my lower arm to pop it back into place. Then they had me stare into a bright red dot that wiped my memory of the event. (Or maybe they gave me drugs, how would I know?)

My range-of-motion is way down from normal - I can only straighten it out to about 20 degrees, and flex it to about 100 degrees, so now I'm spending about 3 hours a day (45 minutes x 4) doing stretching exercises to try to get my flexibility back. My physical therapist is taking measurements twice a week and I'm making slow but steady progress. With luck I'll have it all back in 2-3 months, provided I spend 30-45 minutes stretching before I try to bend it anywhere near the extremes.

There's a chance that my range of motion won't all come back, though... Apparently, the longer your elbow sits dislocated, the more scar tissue forms in the ligaments, and that scarring can be a real problem. And my body is apparently pretty aggressive about forming scars. And 3 hours is a relatively long time. I think I'll probably be able to snowboard again, but mountain biking is rather uncertain right now. But I really want to go biking so at least it's easy to stay motivated to stretch.

So, two years later... And one surgery, and countless hours of physical therapy...

Elbow dislocation pretty much sucks. Zero stars, would not try again. I can flex my elbow a little further than what I wrote above, probably to 120 degrees or so, but that's still pretty limited. But if I stretch for about an hour-and-a-half, I have almost my full range-of-motion, at least for a little while. It used to take 2 hours of stretching to get to where I could touch my thumb to my shoulder, so 1.5 hours counts as progress. I have been spending 2 full hours per day stretching for the last year - that's better than the 3 hours/day the first year, but still a nuisance. There's just so much other stuff I'd rather be doing for those two hours a day. But more than anything I want my range-of-motion back.

But anyway, the good news, great news really, is that my doctor cleared me to go biking and boarding late last spring. I got a couple days of snowboarding, but they were shaky. Then I had all summer to work on mountain biking, and was able to get back into the groove. And after snowboarding this winter, I'm basically back to 100%, which is a huge relief. Not "like it never happened" as I spend all of my lift rides stretching my elbow, but I can almost forget about it for the ride back down.

I'm just kinda terrified that I'll fall face-first, put my arms out to soften the impact, and force my elbow to flex all the way, all at once... I've had two doctors and one physical therapist tell me that there's a risk that in a fall like that my elbow just won't bend, and I'll just break my arm instead. But all three of them also told me there's a chance that a fall like that could also actually restore my range-of-motion, by tearing up the scar tissue that's interfering with my elbow. Trauma therapy, I guess you could call it. But by some miracle I haven't even had that sort of fall since the accident.

The resiliance of carvers on this thread is always inspiring, and as my girlfriend is learning while learning the sport, we all pay dues along the way. It is my follie to follow... Well, season two on the new BHP right hip went quite well I'm pleased to report, virtually pain / stiffness free by mid season (53 days), lower back issues / Sciatica responded well to rehab and really was a non issue with continuous PT during the course of the season. Other than a tip/fib scare and C6/C7 herniated disc-arm numbness, I'm feeling pretty good LOL. However, at the advice of my Orthopedic, I am now scheduled for the other hip BHP procedure on May 8th, my 54th birthday present to myself. I could probably wait a year but with a very uncertain future healthcare climate, I am reduced to accepting the "now or maybe never" scenario. So I'm hoping for a cold a windy Summer so as not to miss the waterskiing too much, but hopefully this will be the last 14 week setback for awhile.

Cheers!