Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Over servicing is always going to be an issue in a medical system where it is fundamentally a money making business, rather than a service.

In a publicly funded, universal healthcare service your doctor gets paid whether he/she operates or not. That environment does not reward over treating or over investigating patients.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1xsculler said:

Totally SUCKS!  Soooo sorry!

N E chance this was the usual “over the handlebars” disaster? When that has happened to me it’s like all hell breaks loose instantaneously and you wonder what happened. Or, are you pretty sure your board hit something?

Either the nose dove into a soft area, which I doubt, or it hit something raised.  The light was flat so I don't know.  I didn't go over the handlebars.  That would have been better as it would have released some of the direct pressure on my ankle.

2 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Wow! A very scary story...second opinions are frequently valuable!

You have to be your own advocate.  I had a different but similar story.  Knee went out- bone on bone and could not walk a block.  Talked to 3 Orthos (Federal Way Wa, Minneapolis Mn, Duluth Mn.)and they all said I needed a full knee replacement.  Talked to guys on this site and someone said his employee had a new experimental knee procedure in the US, but years of experience in Europe.  Found someone in Portland that was doing it and he said I was a perfect candidate.  Had it done 10 years ago, and had it X-rayed last year, and it looks like the day it was put in.

When I asked the Doc in Duluth, he tried to dissuade me by saying that they, and I quote, "haven't had great luck with 1/2 knee revisions".  OK, so I'm not willing to take someone at an incomplete explanation, so I asked him, "are you telling me that a 1/2 knee revision is just as hard as a full knee revision?"  He said, "Well NO".   Then I asked him if he did half knees, and another "NO".

Needless to say, you have to ask for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinions, plus you have to make sure that they are doing the procedure you're asking about.

You are your own best advocate, and maybe the only one with your best interests.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m out...  Fractured left ankle in 2 places at Mount Snow, VT today on my first run...  Had on soft boots...  Super icy, and way too fast...  Can’t even explain what happened... There was a bump, twist, and a pop...  A fitting end to this season...

Cheers!

Tim

D92E344A-CBA2-40A3-8C42-4D2A138718F0.jpeg

D9A18B29-F313-4021-80CC-551EDD3FC203.jpeg

• Sad 4

Just now, timbox18 said:

I’m out...  Fractured left ankle in 2 places at Mount Snow, VT today on my first run...  Had on soft boots...  Super icy, and way too fast...  Can’t even explain what happened... There was a bump, twist, and a pop...  A fitting end to this season...

Cheers!

Tim

So sorry to hear the bad news. 
How long does it have to be immobilized?

Thanks!  Probably should have ridden hard boots instead today due to the icy conditions...

I’m out 4-6 weeks...  Will need to see an orthopedic doctor next week when I get home to see if there is additional soft tissue damage...  The doctors at Mt Snow were very good and X-Rayed the ankle, put me in a boot and crutches...  2 small fractures, so not terrible...  I’m actually not mad about it for some reason...  And fortunately nothing else is injured...

And yes the boot may actually work in soft binding, but I’m totally not going to test it out at this point...

8 hours ago, timbox18 said:

Cheers!

Tim

Know the feeling. 

Broken talus last year. 

Was perfect this year but took long to healed because I put weight to fast.

DO NOT PUT WEIGHT ON IT at all cost the first month.

Hope for a fast recovery for you.

Edited by Poloturbo

11 hours ago, Poloturbo said:

Out also. Fractured collarbone today. Maybe surgery tomorrow. 

2 years in a row......😪 

Ta&?%$%&?*k.  Vraiment désolé d'entendre ça.

Je te souhaite une réhabilitation rapide sans complications.

• Like 1

I crashed hard a week ago Sunday. I've been riding hard boots for 25+ years and never been hurt before. 

It was very flat light and foggy. You couldnt see a thing and just had to feel your way down the hill. On my 4th run I made hard toe side turn right into moguls which were only on half the run, and not their the week before. 

9 broken ribs, pneumothorax and a shatters collar bone. Had surgery on the collar bone yesterday. They estimated a plate with 7 screws.  Surgery went well. I have no numbness anywhere. Ribs are all lined up and won't be an issue.

This season has been a total shit show with the crappy weather early season, and then the closing of the Ontario hills. I got out 5 days total.  I'm hoping for a 3 month recovery so I can get the most out of mountain biking season. I was riding almost everyday up until the trails got icy.

• Sad 7

On 3/11/2021 at 5:43 PM, RideGuy said:

I crashed hard a week ago Sunday. I've been riding hard boots for 25+ years and never been hurt before. 

It was very flat light and foggy. You couldnt see a thing and just had to feel your way down the hill. On my 4th run I made hard toe side turn right into moguls which were only on half the run, and not their the week before. 

9 broken ribs, pneumothorax and a shatters collar bone. Had surgery on the collar bone yesterday. They estimated a plate with 7 screws.  Surgery went well. I have no numbness anywhere. Ribs are all lined up and won't be an issue.

This season has been a total shit show with the crappy weather early season, and then the closing of the Ontario hills. I got out 5 days total.  I'm hoping for a 3 month recovery so I can get the most out of mountain biking season. I was riding almost everyday up until the trails got icy.

Injuries that interrupt our activities totally suck!  So sorry...hoping for your speedy and complete recovery. 
My wife just got done telling me I was practicing risky behavior and If I keep it up I WOULD get injured and then to read this... I don’t like it because she IS ALWAYS right, just ask her, LOL!

32 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

Injuries that interrupt our activities totally suck!  So sorry...hoping for your speedy and complete recovery. 
My wife just got done telling me I was practicing risky behavior and If I keep it up I WOULD get injured and then to read this... I don’t like it because she IS ALWAYS right, just ask her!

Yes or No. Or how about never leave the house cuz you might die in a car wreck, get the Rona or etc. Life ain't worth living without risk. That's not living. 

3 hours ago, snowburn said:

Yes or No. Or how about never leave the house cuz you might die in a car wreck, get the Rona or etc. Life ain't worth living without risk. That's not living. 

Agreed. Taking calculated risks goes along with enjoying life which is something I will continue to do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

My wife just got done telling me I was practicing risky behavior and If I keep it up I WOULD get injured and then to read this... I don’t like it because she IS ALWAYS right, just ask her!

Life is not meant to be lived on the sofa/couch! (or whatever you call a 2-3 person seat where you live)

There are some things in life that are so much fun you should only stop doing them when you just can't do it any more.

The "evil day" will come for each of us crazies here when we just can't physically carve a snowboard anymore. Until then......

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RideGuy said:

Before and after pics.  The collar bone has no pain what so ever.  Ribs still bother me.   3 more weeks in a sling then I can start rehab.  I can't wait till I'm strong enough to bike again.

IMG_20210317_114828_764.jpg

IMG_20210323_174601_498.jpg

Someone did a good job of putting you back together. Ribs typically take 6-8 weeks to really settle down. There's a story behind this you haven't told us. 🤔