Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

Well...........I'm out for a week or two!    Weds. afternoon got blindsided by a skier as I was slowing down to come into the ropes above  Gold Coast lift at P at Tahoe.  Never saw it coming or remember feeling anything but knocked unconscious and unresponsive......so they toboggan me down to the village and then airlifted me to Reno.  I don't remember any of that.....I woke up looking at ceiling lights at the hospital!   Last I remember It was 3:30pm and I  had a student athlete with me and we were going to make 2 more runs before heading down...next thing I know it's after 7pm in the hospital and I'd lost over 3! hours.  

CT of spine and head and DX chest scans and about 7 other lab tests revealed I hadn't broke or damaged anything......what can I say, I bounce well!  Concussion, scrapes and bruises seems to be the worst of it.

They released me around 8pm and staff from school came to pick me up for the drive back up to Olympic  Valley.  I needed help from two staff to get to my room.  The hospital cut off my favorite jacket and 2 top layers but I got my board, boots, gloves and helmet back in one piece.    

Really stiff and sore Thurs., not as much today.  Went to the Chiropractor and that helped my hips and neck where they were jammed up.   Thank goodness I was working and my work will cover all of this!!!

On concussion protocols for the next week or so.............

Be Careful Out There!!  

20220119_191443_resized.jpg

IMG_9437.jpg

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9439.jpg

• Sad 2

Barry good to hear you have no major damage (other than you would have got from a round or two with Marvin Haggler) & you will be back on deck soon.

Edited by Lurch
Maybe you should have ordered a wtF plate from Sean! :)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dredman said:

What color helmet and clothing did you have on at the time of the accident?  

Hey Dred,

It was around 3:30pm and another cloudless bluebird day, nothing but sunshine.   I was going half speed and slowing more for the corral ropes is the last I remember......  had a black  Osbe full coverage helmet, purple bibs and a black jacket that had large white letters VIRTIKA imprinted front and back.    

We have had a LOT of people with serious injuries from getting hit over the years.  Fire trucks, highway workers, signs and hazard signs are specific colors for a reason.  I do not want to see anyone have an injury or life changing event.  I am a FIRM believer that colors that pop help prevent some of these accidents.  

I went through some photos from several of the last MCC to show examples.  photo credits to Jerry Hadam, Sean Martin and Joshua Gabrial.

Now back away from the computer screen and you decide.

Image 1-22-22 at 8.23 AM.jpg

• Like 8

I’d say most of us have either ridden with barryj, traded gear with him, taken good advice from him or just, in general, look upon him as a serious and conscientious carver and a friend in the trenches. To hear that he got t-boned through no fault of his own really sucks for him AND it scares the crap out of me. 
Keep us updated on your recovery. 

10 hours ago, dredman said:

I am a FIRM believer that colors that pop help prevent some of these accidents.  

I'm a firm believer in this. I use to like not standing out in a crowd but better to be seen in a split second than not at all. Although my jacket could be brighter red and I should get dayglow pants instead of black. Maybe a orange helmet too. Prayers for a speedy recovery @barryj

On 1/16/2022 at 9:11 PM, johnasmo said:

I thought I got schooled in pain when I blew out my shoulder mountain biking.  Then I learned what real pain was from the surgery to rebuild it.  Best of luck.  Sleep in a chair for a while.  No matter how it feels, force a stop to opioids at 4 or 5 weeks.

thanks, stopped percocet after 5 days. did not sleep well in chair. feeling good so far. aleve and cbd works for now. PT will be a different story.

Edited by arneburner
typo

23 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Keep us updated on your recovery. 

Thanks for all the positive support and prayers!

Needless to say missed work Thurs. and Fri. and not feeling like going in Mon. ...but hopefully that will change!  Went to my Chiropractor Fri. to relieve the pain on my hip and back....can't step up or turn over resting or sleeping without pain.  The Doc. helped a little but gotta go back Mon. and Weds. 

Living off Advil 24 hours a day too much, my head still spins sitting up or laying down but decreasing day by day, having to walk with a cane up steps or stairs but making progress getting around.  Overall still feel like Crap...but feeling a Little better each day.....but Geez it is SLOW Going! 

Have no clue, or desire to be back on the Mtn. as of yet.....work will dictate that aspect...another week or 2 I suspect.

Trying to be thankful for my little blessings, not breaking any bones and still walking and talking!!

Be Careful Out There!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, barryj said:

Thanks for all the positive support and prayers!

Needless to say missed work Thurs. and Fri. and not feeling like going in Mon. ...but hopefully that will change!  Went to my Chiropractor Fri. to relieve the pain on my hip and back....can't step up or turn over resting or sleeping without pain.  The Doc. helped a little but gotta go back Mon. and Weds. 

Living off Advil 24 hours a day too much, my head still spins sitting up or laying down but decreasing day by day, having to walk with a cane up steps or stairs but making progress getting around.  Overall still feel like Crap...but feeling a Little better each day.....but Geez it is SLOW Going! 

Have no clue, or desire to be back on the Mtn. as of yet.....work will dictate that aspect...another week or 2 I suspect.

Trying to be thankful for my little blessings, not breaking any bones and still walking and talking!!

Be Careful Out There!!

Don’t rush the concussion, work will still be there when you’re ready  Rest up and recover, you only have one noggin

• Like 1

I just came from Tahoe. It is getting  unbelievable. Gold Coast green slope. Fast recovery Barry, in the end you were pretty lucky and you are strong guy, just image smaller guy on your place. Just take a couple weeks off for healing. I got concussion about 25 years ago and next week any bump was like hit with hammer in head. And slopes were very icy this weekend. Colors? I am not sure about it, I were pink helmet  right orange bib with handicap sign, 3 bright colors jacket, but for most people it does not mean anything. I am now so scared of people around me on the slopes. Merging trails , blu and green slopes and bottoms close to lifts are probably most danger places.