Note to New Members ×

AIL "Alpine Injured List"

www.oldsnowboards.com

16 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

I wasn't going to be so blunt! 🤣

Flat light and fog along with a blunt stop. How many time has any of us gotten away without paying the price for charging hard any making a sketchy decision near season end under less than ideal conditions ?  Rideguy you might want to switch to recumbent bike. Have you checked to see if your suits are going to hang square on you shoulders ? Sorry not trying to make you laugh I just remember nearly passing out trying to climb out of the bathtub thinking taking off the sling would be the best way to soak. That was a worse decision than cornering the motorcycle on a mucky leaf covered laneway. Season ended here with a whimper nice to see someone doing it with a bang!

9 hours ago, RideGuy said:

Before and after pics.  The collar bone has no pain what so ever.  Ribs still bother me.   3 more weeks in a sling then I can start rehab.  I can't wait till I'm strong enough to bike again.

IMG_20210317_114828_764.jpg

IMG_20210323_174601_498.jpg

Sorry to hear your injury.

Ribs hurt while breathing. You just cant breath loudly.

Edited by hknz

Thanks all.  My posture seems very good after surgery.  Pretty sure the suit will still fit.  🙂

Honestly, I had just gotten back from Whistler where the conditions were outstanding.  I was feeling like a million bucks.  Went harder than I should have for the conditions/visibility.  A very costly lesson learned.

My wife works at a gym and is bringing me home a stationary recumbent.  As for a real recumbent....unless they make one that goes on the trail it's not going to happen.

The collar bone is pain free.  It's amazing actually.  I'm not allowed to use that arm though, as I could pull apart the doctors hard work.  The ribs feel better everyday.  I went back to work yesterday after being off for 4 weeks.

I know multiple people that had issue with hardware and had to have them removed.  However, I only plan to get the hardware out if I react to it.

This is my second rib injury.  I was once speared in ball hockey that broke the tip of one of my ribs.  I remember how long it took to be 100% free from pain.  It's a long road.

• Thanks 1

A good friend who is very aggressive and very good girl rider got slammed from behind when she and her big boy friend were straight lining at 40/45 mph. She broke the transverse processes off of 4 lumbar vertebrae and she’s pretty sore and out for the season but not seriously injured thank her lucky stares.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 4:30 PM, 1xsculler said:

A good friend who is very aggressive and very good girl rider got slammed from behind when she and her big boy friend were straight lining at 40/45 mph. She broke the transverse processes off of 4 lumbar vertebrae and she’s pretty sore and out for the season but not seriously injured thank her lucky stares.

Does it mean the one who slammed her is much faster than 40/45 mph?

• 8 months later...

Sorry to report that my season is over. Full thickness tear of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons (rotator cuff) with 4 cm of separation.  Surgery on Friday. Fell on hard snow in December. Heard someone behind me, looked back and caught my toe side edge and fell on left shoulder. This likely resulted in a partial tear which was not too bad. Second fall was in the lift line. Front foot attached to board slipped on ice and fell on same shoulder a week later. This completed the tear. Really sad to miss the rest of the season and pissed at Ikon for refusing to defer my unused pass until next season. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

37 minutes ago, arneburner said:

Sorry to report that my season is over. Full thickness tear of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons (rotator cuff) with 4 cm of separation.  Surgery on Friday. Fell on hard snow in December. Heard someone behind me, looked back and caught my toe side edge and fell on left shoulder. This likely resulted in a partial tear which was not too bad. Second fall was in the lift line. Front foot attached to board slipped on ice and fell on same shoulder a week later. This completed the tear. Really sad to miss the rest of the season and pissed at Ikon for refusing to defer my unused pass until next season. 

Every aspect of this sucks big time! Shoulder injuries are a bummer but you’ll be good as new by next fall for sure.

and I thought I was the only guy who falls down in lift lines!

Two years ago I fell down in the lift line, banged the back of my helmet on the very hard pack, passed out momentarily and when I got up I had no idea where I was but, fortunately, I did remember that my five year old grandson was under my care which seemed to sharpen my senses. I have no recollection of how I found him, how I clipped my rear boot in or how I made it back to the car. My daughter wanted me to check into the ER but I passed on that…probably out of stupidity. 

2 hours ago, arneburner said:

Damn Arne... Sorry to hear that! 

Sending healthy vibes your way for a speedy recovery!

1 hour ago, powdahbonz said:

and I’m out.left leg.high fib fracture low tib spiral trying to avoid a collision in front of me..sacrificed and hit the brakes along with possible shoulder sep on right side..so screwed but there’s always next year 46 years was a good run..

Bummer but you'll bounce back.  Heal quickly!

1 hour ago, Ladia said:

Arne, I just hope  for fast and decent recovery. Good luck and let us know about progress . I found moral support from this community is very helpful psychologically.

Ladia

thanks for your moral support. i know my injury is minor compared to what you went through, but these last few days after surgery have tested my threshold for pain. at least the dr. said the surgery went well. 6 weeks in the sling and 6 months of pt  will suck, but i will try to work thru it. 

On 1/12/2022 at 6:03 PM, JRAZZ said:

Damn Arne... Sorry to hear that! 

Sending healthy vibes your way for a speedy recovery!

thanks

11 hours ago, arneburner said:

these last few days after surgery have tested my threshold for pain.

I thought I got schooled in pain when I blew out my shoulder mountain biking.  Then I learned what real pain was from the surgery to rebuild it.  Best of luck.  Sleep in a chair for a while.  No matter how it feels, force a stop to opioids at 4 or 5 weeks.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 11:33 AM, arneburner said:

I feel your pain. Mostly because I did exactly the same injury in September. Plus the Subscapularis and a comprehensively modified distal radius.

Things were going so well. Until they weren't. I don't really know what happened, but I took a bit of a bang to the head. Bye bye POC helmet. Also my front TD3 step in is broken, but I don't know if that happened before or during the incident. My phone said I was doing about 85kmh. 

I am just grateful that it was my wrist and not my neck.

signal-2021-09-20-190508.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2