Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line: 2021-2022

Eboot

Monday mornings on site as I'm feeling a little gimpy, I get a lot of " what's the matter old man looks"

to which i reply" i'm beat up from snowboarding yesterday" 

The response usually is:  "What??!! No way" 

Edited by big mario
  • Like 2

Got on the lift with a guy, ski instructor supervisor I think, he starts to say the usual "hey I haven't seen one of those in years, a mono- hey wait that's not a monoski, that's a, a skwal, isn't it? I haven't seen one of those in a long time either."  The board's a 14.5 cm waist, so yeah fair do's, I said technically it's still a snowboard by 5mm, but skwal is close enough and tell him "you're the first person ever to say skwal to me, that's awesome".  He goes on to tell me how he remembers skwals from, oh 30 years ago, and alpine snowboards too, and how there used to be this guy at Mammoth who was phenomenal at hardbooting and, being a big guy particularly, would leave crazy deep trenches all over the mountain. And not only that but he had top level instructor certification in 4 different sports at once, snowboarding, skiing, telemark, and ? (X-country?).   Anybody here know or remember a guy called Tom Tuttle?  Sounds pretty impressive.

Another similar encounter was at June mtn, riding up the lift with a guy, tells me oh yeah there used to be a whole crew of hardbooters here back in the day. There was this one guy Terry, he always wore a red hat, did you know 'im?!  

It's not all clueless people, there are quite a few sophisticated folks out there who know what's up and have some stories to share. Not to mention I get surprised by the amount of knowledge and interest from younger people, mtn staff mainly. 

Edited by Eastsiiiide
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Eastsiiiide said:

Anybody here know or remember a guy called Tom Tuttle?  Sounds pretty amazing.

I knew Tom from my racing days. Had several big events at Mammoth and met him at one of those but never got to ride with him. Good conversation though. 
ink

• Thanks 1

Today while taking a break and eating some fries I saw a guy looking at my board and knew a question was on its way. He came over and asked “is this board light?” I responded “it’s lighter than some things but not as heavy as others. You’re welcome to pick it up if you’d like”. He did and then said “sick”. I guess that’s good. Last week I also got a “that’s the most aggressive stance I’ve ever seen”. 

Edited by Mr Wonton
Added

It's spring break week so we have some out-of-towners at Bridger Bowl. I was hardboot carving and riding single and shared a chair with a soft booter who looked to be in his late 20's.

He looked down at my gear and blurted out - "dude! those boots are ****ed up!"

I didn't know how to respond so I just said "thank you" and left it at that. He didn't utter single word after that. Awkward silence ensued.

dave

• LOL 6

On 3/16/2023 at 6:49 AM, inkaholic said:

I knew Tom from my racing days. Had several big events at Mammoth and met him at one of those but never got to ride with him. Good conversation though. 
ink

I know Tom very well. He ran the race program for College of the Siskiyous at Mount Shasta for several years. Great guy, very knowledgeable. Big influence on all of us in this area.

Paul

• Like 2

5 hours ago, David Kirk said:

He looked down at my gear and blurted out - "dude! those boots are ****ed up!”

Reading this on a business trip, missing the snow and laughing at that line.  Thanks for the laughs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, patmoore said:

Carrying my board yesterday I heard a guy yell, "Wow, a monster powder ski!"

Ha! I very regularly carry 2 boards to the rack, locking one up for a quick change if I feel like it. They're usually quite different, which leads to people thinking I have weird mismatched skis. Funny conversations ensue! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Today I was asked from another snowboarder competing in a slalom race, if I was riding a monoski.

A different snowboarder waiting at the start corrected him before I could lose my composure.

Edited by Jarcode
  • LOL 2

I was walking to the rack to grab my wife’s and my coiler after lunch. I hear a couple younger snowboarders “look at those mono skis. Thats sick. Yea they look like something my grand pop would ride”

I take a few more steps and grab our boards and hand my wife hers and say”here you go grand mom”

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

• 2 weeks later...

After my 2 hour drive to Snowbasin which normally takes an hour last Monday, waiting in the line for a shuttle from the parking lot I made some some small talk with a young man behind me. He looked me over and saw my Arbor A-Frame with Salomon Caliber bindings with a mild carving stance and asked, "How old are you?"

"I'm 59."

He replied, "I hope I will be riding at 59 too!"

• LOL 1

On 3/16/2023 at 2:31 PM, snowburn said:

In one day I got the typical monoski, skwal, and the funniest was euroski

A few years ago I arrived at Solitude and was getting out of my truck and noticed my friend digger, jr. and his wife parked nearby. A car full of snowboarders noticed their boards and said, "I think those are Skwalls," I snickered but explained him the difference when I pulled out my Coiler Nirvana.

Edited by dropthebody

I guess the #1 question I get most every day (riding Coiler Angrry 160 UPM Donek F Plate TD3 SW) is  "What Is THAT??    

Maybe it's the head injury but I've run out of snappy answers...and patience!

My 1st thoughts are pretty snarky but I usually take a deep breath and just say "it's an Alpine snowboard like you see in the  Olympics" and keep moving to avoid further interrogation!

Anybody got some quick and or appropriate  one liners??

2j6lod.jpg.1d0c23ea309bc4024af26bd7b5891362.jpg

Edited by barryj