Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line: 2021-2022

Eboot

16 hours ago, jburk said:

Today was a new one: Is that thing scary to ride? 

Did you answer honestly?  Because I would say I've had a few frightening moments...

Obviously mostly enjoyable but who among us cannot say they've not had a scare or three?  🤣

Edited by slabber
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, slabber said:

Did you answer honestly?  Because I would say I've had a few frightening moments...

Obviously mostly enjoyable but who among us cannot say they've not had a scare or three?  🤣

I thought that was kind of the point...?  Or is it just me.

Last week I rode the chair with a guy on actual skiboards and for once I got to be the one asking "what the heck is that??"  Now I know.

image.png.eef624d68a7114d370a0353170830325.png

image.png.df63e85ca2734ac181588a5957a828e6.pngimage.png.d4fc159a337d0f4afc3108c4760203fd.png

Apparently we are doing it wrong and need brighter jumpsuits.

Edited by Eastsiiiide
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Eastsiiiide said:

I thought that was kind of the point...?  Or is it just me.

Last week I rode the chair with a guy on actual skiboards and for once I got to be the one asking "what the heck is that??"  Now I know.

image.png.eef624d68a7114d370a0353170830325.png

image.png.df63e85ca2734ac181588a5957a828e6.pngimage.png.d4fc159a337d0f4afc3108c4760203fd.png

Apparently we are doing it wrong and need brighter jumpsuits.

Task for the day. Use the phrase "egregious onesie" in a conversation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, b0ardski said:

I ski on a snowboard...take it for what it is. ..

I knew this, and thought of it today as I saw a guy heliboarding with poles. I didn't comment, of course. I did think it funny though - he had soft boots and poles, I had hard boots. Between us we could have managed one skier or one park rat, if we'd distributed the toys cleverly enough between us.

But anyway, when the South Koreans finish up re-introducing carving to the Americans, we should remember not to take the Mick out of people riding park boards in suck [sic] stance. We have to show we're better, not just on the snow, but in the lift lines too.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, philw said:

I knew this, and thought of it today as I saw a guy heliboarding with poles. I didn't comment, of course. I did think it funny though - he had soft boots and poles, I had hard boots. Between us we could have managed one skier or one park rat, if we'd distributed the toys cleverly enough between us.

But anyway, when the South Koreans finish up re-introducing carving to the Americans, we should remember not to take the Mick out of people riding park boards in suck [sic] stance. We have to show we're better, not just on the snow, but in the lift lines too.

At 79 poles may be in my future as picking my weak and lazy ass up off the snow is becoming increasingly challenging especially if I fall in the lift line or some other relatively flat area. It ain’t funny!

• Like 2

I did a brief visit to June Mountain today and in the space of a couple hours got both "hybrid" and "monoski" x 3 (not even a question but a statement, like 'how's that monoski?'), and 'okay what do you actually call that' from the lifties, followed by the accolade that I am 'a menace to society', in an endearing tone.  And then when my AT-ski buddy and I were about to do the "double black" off-piste run back to the parking lot, it was "nice monoski" followed by, "I saw a guy doing crazy carves on one of those earlier" (pretty sure it was me, and I'm a two-bit hack, but hey, thanks!!)

Omg riding the new super-narrow virus (infinite THANKS @yamifumi!!) turns the noise up to a whole new level, holy cow. 

I feel like you might read about me in the local newspaper: "crazy man attacks june mountain riding a flaming two-by-four in ski boots, many small children unable to recover from shock!"  (June mountain is our local 'family' mountain, in addition to being great for carving, and it was a holiday weekend.  I had earbuds in, but did see a lot of wide eyed kids and caught bits of fading-doppler interrogatives: <stare>-<stare>-<stare> "dad, whaats thaaaaa-?").

I might have to return to backcountry boarding just to get some peace. 🤣😱

Edited by Eastsiiiide
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/20/2023 at 6:14 AM, fluxgame said:

Ready to have your mind blown?:

F3274986-BFAD-4F4F-9D74-BEC664755710.jpeg.817fe37a08605fb50cb750eb104a6ae0.jpeg

<pewwf> 

So many snowsports so little tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime....

There is no question I am going to try skiboarding.  It's merely a question of when.  Granted it may be on outgrown kids skis, but I'm going to tell anyone who asks they are "SKIBOARDS".

Edited by Eastsiiiide
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 6:58 AM, digger jr said:

Woow, look at that Waterski. Waterski?

Funny, made me think of the time I stopped at the Ski & Snowboard history museum in Vail on my way to SES. Many of the early "snowboards" looked like repurposed waterskis, including the skeg. They even had the 1st patented "snowboard" called the "Bunker" from the 1930's ― an idea before its time.

...and Ron, you will appreciate this, both invented in Minnesota 😉

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 4:51 PM, philw said:

Kept poles on my pack heliboarding in Alaska.  Really sucks running out of speed on a glacier 100 yards short of the pick up spot

10 minutes ago, NByrne said:

Kept poles on my pack heliboarding in Alaska.  Really sucks running out of speed on a glacier 100 yards short of the pick up spot

A different type of snowpack to here though - poles don't really help with very soft snow. Although CMH used to recommend people "carry collapsible poles", so there's that. This chap actually rides with the poles, which I think affects ones stance, in powder. I never use poles, simply so I don't need to take abuse from skiers 😉 

22 hours ago, philw said:

A different type of snowpack to here though - poles don't really help with very soft snow. Although CMH used to recommend people "carry collapsible poles", so there's that. This chap actually rides with the poles, which I think affects ones stance, in powder. I never use poles, simply so I don't need to take abuse from skiers 😉 

CMH recommended bindings too, but were quite accommodating to me over the years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Did you take a noboard on the heli?

My wife Melissa worked for CMH in the glory years, during the time that Hans Gmoser the founder was still with us. 

While she was there, a benefit offered to employees like her was a week at whichever lodge had space, for herself and the spouse. I also had a week myself where I was hired by a guest to teach and yet another to film their promo video.

Of those 9 trips, I got to surf it up for probably just over 100k vert. (Edit… now that I think about it, the total is probably more like 200)  

I’ll consider myself lucky that I never had any jackpot situations where I made problems for the group. There was one time when we were flying with CMH in Nakusp (their Nomads base now). The conditions were prime and I asked the lodge manager if I could take the NB. He was fine with it, as he’d heard from other managers that I wasn’t going to grenade their day. The manager wasn’t leading the group though, and the guide was less than enthusiastic… he saw only trouble. As it turned out, the snow was great, but not very stable, so we stayed out of the alpine, down low in cut blocks. Many in the group were really struggling… a low snow pack where debris in the clearings filled them with pillows, as well as plenty of bench cut road crossings to navigate made for sporty riding. Skiers and snowboarders were getting stuck multiple times every run. With my setup, I could pull up, step off, pull them out where they could use my board as a bench to catch their breath while I arranged their gear, helped them back into it and sent them on their way. From the tail position, I spent the day doing this. 

At the end of the day, the guide, Melissa and I went down the lake to the Halcyon Hot Springs for a soak and dinner, where he treated us to a meal. 

For that kind of thing, it can be a great time, or a great tool. You do want a “NoBoard” style setup however where you can use the leash as a device to be able to hold the board to your feet if you need to… today’s “pow surfers” don’t have that. As a result, CMH guests who have been allowed out on Sharks, Grassroots and Asmo’s have sometimes wound up being the worst possible examples of “that guest” to the point where bindingless isn’t allowed anymore. 

I was lucky enough to be the first one to ask and not **** it up. 

Edited by Rob Stevens
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1