Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line: 2021-2022

Eboot

6 hours ago, barryj said:

I guess the #1 question I get most every day (riding Coiler Angrry 160 UPM Donek F Plate TD3 SW) is  "What Is THAT??    

Maybe it's the head injury but I've run out of snappy answers...and patience!

My 1st thoughts are pretty snarky but I usually take a deep breath and just say "it's an Alpine snowboard like you see in the  Olympics" and keep moving to avoid further interrogation!

Anybody got some quick and or appropriate  one liners??

2j6lod.jpg.1d0c23ea309bc4024af26bd7b5891362.jpg

Sometimes I say “it’s a snowboard for old people”. One time a kid responded “that’s so cool”. 

Here at Palisades/Squaw is the home of Shane McConkey and the "Game of Gnar" (Gaffney's Numerical Assessment of Radness) a game of points...the more dangerous and/or radical the more points.  exp:  Farting on the Tram...and owning it =500 points,  Calling out a Pro Skier publicly..."Dude I'm So Much Better Than You!" = 500 points,    Skiing a Gnarly line, Naked = 2000 points 

Yes this is a real thing, especially here at Squaw but I've seen it happen at other Sierra resorts and all the way out at the Ice coast resorts also: 

https://www.skipeak.net/blog/shane-mcconkey-in-the-name-of-gnar

There's even a movie:

Anyway....sorry for long frontload but If you know about the Game of GNAR you know there is a some ridiculous  amount of points (20,000??) for challenging a (rare as a Unicorn) Mononskier to a race.  I Get Challenged To Race Almost Weekly!   GNAR!

Edited by barryj
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SunSurfer said:

Snowboarding for grown-ups!

10 or 15 yrs ago I was on a chair with 3 preteen kids. One pointed to my board and said, "what's that?", and without skipping a beat the kid next to him said, "It's a snowboard for old people."

I was almost insulted and was about to go into my usual explanation, but then realized he summed it up perfectly. And they had already moved on to something else.

Not long after that I was at SES and I overheard Fin describe it as "adult snowboarding" to someone asking how it differed from "regular" snowboarding.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Wonton said:

Sometimes I say “it’s a snowboard for old people”. One time a kid responded “that’s so cool”. 

This guide should help: "It's a snowboard for...

• ...old people"
  • ...people whose pants aren't too big"
  • ...people who don't always wear plaid"
  • ...anyone who's not high right now"
  • ...for people who don't wear beanies in 80-degree weather."

Join in, it's fun!

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, barryj said:

I guess the #1 question I get most every day (riding Coiler Angrry 160 UPM Donek F Plate TD3 SW) is  "What Is THAT??    

Maybe it's the head injury but I've run out of snappy answers...and patience!

My 1st thoughts are pretty snarky but I usually take a deep breath and just say "it's an Alpine snowboard like you see in the  Olympics" and keep moving to avoid further interrogation!

Anybody got some quick and or appropriate  one liners??

2j6lod.jpg.1d0c23ea309bc4024af26bd7b5891362.jpg

“What is that?” - a snowboard

”How does it work?” - gravity

”Why are you wearing ski boots?” - why are you wearing oversized sneakers?

“Nice mono ski” - thanks, I like your wakeboard.

Got a really funny one today after clipping in at the top of the lift: “Wow, those look easy to use! Are those step ons?”… mind you, I’m not even on intec heels, just bails.

• Haha 6

As I get more crusty, jaded, cantankerous, and cynical in my advancing levels of maturity, I keep it monosyllabic and reply “fun”

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2023 at 10:38 PM, lordmetroland said:

This guide should help: "It's a snowboard for...

• ...old people"

Join in, it's fun!

I'm picturing Walter White and Jesse Pinkman on a snowboarding trip to Sante Fe.

On 4/2/2023 at 1:13 AM, Jarcode said:

Got a really funny one today after clipping in at the top of the lift: “Wow, those look easy to use! Are those step ons?”… mind you, I’m not even on intec heels, just bails.

Should have asked that person if they liked riding strapons?

• Haha 2

On 4/1/2023 at 2:38 PM, lordmetroland said:

“It's a snowboard for...

• ...old people"

Join in, it's fun!

The humor here is genius.  I’m visualizing this screened on a t shirt with a graphic of alpine snowboarder. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 5:13 PM, Jarcode said:

“Is it fun?” No, my mom makes me do it. 

• Like 3

The "is it fun?" question seems really dumb at first.  However I think perhaps the people that ask it have never seen an alpine setup, or only a couple of times.  Therefore they assume it must be new, therefore they assume I am new at it or even trying it for the first time ever.  Kind of like how I assume everyone on a Sno-Go snowbike is just renting it for the first time.  Because who would own such a preposterous thing?  Is it fun becomes a reasonable question then.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jack M said:

The "is it fun?" question seems really dumb at first.  However I think perhaps the people that ask it have never seen an alpine setup, or only a couple of times.  Therefore they assume it must be new, therefore they assume I am new at it or even trying it for the first time ever.  Kind of like how I assume everyone on a Sno-Go snowbike is just renting it for the first time.  Because who would own such a preposterous thing?  Is it fun becomes a reasonable question then.

I rode the lift one day with a softbooter and he asked how long I'd been hardbooting and I told him about 30 years. He then asked "is it fun?" and my mind spin in many different directions I could go with that answer.

After a long pause I said "no...not really" and the guy nodded in understanding.

dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, David Kirk said:

I rode the lift one day with a softbooter and he asked how long I'd been hardbooting and I told him about 30 years. He then asked "is it fun?" and my mind spin in many different directions I could go with that answer.

After a long pause I said "no...not really" and the guy nodded in understanding.

dave

Well yeah, some people are beyond all hope. 
1A87F6DC-868C-49D4-875E-24249DDDD81F.jpeg

1 hour ago, David Kirk said:

Jack you beat me to it!

There's just plain Dumb.....and then there's Dumber!

giphy.gif

Edited by barryj

4 hours ago, David Kirk said:

dave

That's some level 80 shamanisn there!  I can't wait to use it: just stare pensively off into the horizon and say "no... not really" and leave a pregnant pause for the remainder of the lift ride.

• Like 1