Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line: 2021-2022

Eboot

33 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Had an argument on the chair once with an instructor who said I was riding a "carving board" (fair enough) but insisted that it was not a snowboard. 

That is the worst.  I tell these people you have to know how to snowboard in order to use an alpine snowboard.  And if you're one of the few who learns how to snowboard on an alpine snowboard with hardboots, you can jump right on a "normal" snowboard with softboots and you'll know how to use that too.  Because it's all snowboarding.  And/or I'll point out FIS/Olympic snowboard racing.

it's the norm for human mind to "make stuff up"/filled in the blank when dealing with the unknown.
to paraphrase - Never mistake ignorance for malice.
take it as compliment.  i still remembered when i just started out Hardbooting and my buddy told me i ride alpine just like a regular snowboard so why bother? (it's like regular snowboard but with extra step) almost rage quit....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, pow4ever said:

it's the norm for human mind to "make stuff up"/filled in the blank when dealing with the unknown.
to paraphrase - Never mistake ignorance for malice.
take it as compliment 

Agreed

I've gotten a lot more questions recently. I enjoy engaging in people's curiosity. If they don't know what to call it or give the equipment an incorrect name I don't really care. I crack a few jokes and we talk on the lift ride up. Plastic snowboard boots always seems to surprise people. 

• Like 3

On 1/18/2023 at 5:01 PM, Erik J said:

I enjoy engaging in people's curiosity
I crack a few jokes and we talk on the lift ride up.

Nice!  that's how we become ambassador but your riding speak for itself!
Been a long time (we meet at ECES).  glad to know that you still kicking butt!  

from a kids group chaparone who was on a snowboard at top of lift: hey you must be the one making all those marks in the snow. look kids, it's the snowboarder who rides like a skier.

ehm... 🤬

sidenote: saw another alpiner on a volkl using poles. i now understand the confusion from the chaparone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I met a snowboarder who saw me carving and concluded that carving must only be possible on hardboots 🤣

Also from a ski instructor: "I don't think I can bend my ski to turn that tight". I believe our SCR was about the same between my board and his freeride skis.

37 minutes ago, Jarcode said:

Also from a ski instructor: "I don't think I can bend my ski to turn that tight". I believe our SCR was about the same between my board and his freeride skis.

I think it's pretty tough to generate the same inclination on skis as a snowboard, your inside leg gets in the way not to mention boot out.  So it's entirely likely that instructor can't turn as tightly with the same SCR.

15 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I think it's pretty tough to generate the same inclination on skis as a snowboard, your inside leg gets in the way not to mention boot out.  So it's entirely likely that instructor can't turn as tightly with the same SCR.

That ski instructor clearly hasn’t been watching WC racing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rob Stevens said:

That ski instructor clearly hasn’t been watching WC racing. 

Yeah, I have seen some photos where they were laid over pretty good.  Maximum skill there though.  I don't know if I have ever seen anyone on skis in the wild with that kind of inclination.

6 hours ago, Jarcode said:

The torsional resistance of his freeride skis may also be less, and the effective edge considerably shorter due to the rocker at tip and tail. That extreme rocker will also make for a lot of ski "flap" when trying to carve.