Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line: 2021-2022

Eboot

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Eboot said:

Older man standing next to me: Wow there are 2 of you mono-skiers here today

Seriously has anyone successfully ridden at Deer Valley or Alta claiming to be a monoskier?  I may have to go to DV for one of my daughter's competitions.

On the bright side of this thread... the other dayI was waiting for @trailertrash on the side of the trail and as he approached, a group of skiers near me said "check out the alpine boarder!"  🤯

• Like 3

2 hours ago, drschwartz said:

Just rent some skis😎👍

We seriously won’t hold it against you.

I just don't enjoy skiing.  Been snowboarding too long I guess, since age 13.  It just feels unnatural and awkward.  I was a good skier, and I can do fine now, I'm just constantly worried that I'm going to cross my tips and/or do my ACLs.  I envy people who can enjoy both, maybe I'll get serious about it again someday.

I had to drop to 165 cm from 225's and stay on groomed runs.  With 165's I can to go slow enough off trail to pick up that crossed ski and move it back. The only times I get on skis is when my daughter comes to ski once ever other year because (Mom's too slow)  Not sure I'd want to pay $175 to putt around on skis unless you want to be a racer chaser, carry coats, and cheer, bring a cow bell. been there    Good Luck

Young gal snowboarder said to me" hardboots?? why would you wear such uncomfortable boots verses soft boots?" My reply was "unlike rumors these boots are more comfortable than house slippers and my disliked for pinch points from SB bindings". She said "yeah, I have heard of that before" 

Not in the lift line, but at work I was talking skiing/snowboarding with some colleagues and one of them mentioned that his son knew me.  I started racing through my head trying really hard to remember his son and to not be the d***head that forgets other people.  Luckily he saw my confusion and said his son only really knew my jacket, because when he sees it on the local slopes he gets a really uncomfortable feeling.  It turns out when his son was younger and starting to move up to the blues and blacks, he was terrified of having to cross my trenches.   😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, inkaholic said:

Try riding with Big Mario, those aren't trenches they're like crevasses!
We've seen kids go missing for hours in them. 

ink

I think you might be crossing one of mine in your avatar

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Me, a ski instructor and her little girl student are standing at the top of a nicely groomed beginner run at Jackson a few days before Christmas. The little girl asked me why I had only one big ski (I hadn’t clicked in yet). The instructor said, “No, honey that’s a very special snowboard called a carving board and it’s only for really good snowboarders. Let’s watch him go.” I told them I was a beginner myself and the instructor said I had no business being on a carving board.  It was my first run of the season on a brand new board I had never made a turn on. There was no way I was going to push off first. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, slopestar said:

Following anyone in the LCI is pure joy but you definitely change your line to cross Mario’s trenches at the proper angle…

I broke my rear boot cant adjusters a few years ago hitting one of my own at speed, and parallel in the infamous flat belly spin video Carvin Marvin took of me a few years ago. I think Gary's faceplant/headcarve pic from a few years ago was a direct result in of hitting one of mine during first tracks In copper bowl

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, big mario said:

I broke my rear boot cant adjusters a years ago hitting one of my own at speed, and parallel in the infamous flat belly spin video Carvin Marvin took of me a few years ago. I think Gary's faceplant/headcarve pic from a few years ago was a direct result in of hitting one of mine during first tracks In copper bowl

I hate when my own trenches start interfering with my own carving bliss, and they do sometimes. While my trenches don't compare to Big's, I do get "complaints" especially from one of the early morning regulars at Spirit, an older woman who's often there for the first chair. I swear I can hear her say, "damn, he's here", when she sees me. But, she jokingly says to me, "While I enjoy watching you come down the hill can you please not make big grooves today". 

*btw, I had a personal encounter with one of Mario's trenches in the super soft groom at the 1st MCC. I was minding my own business when my turn was redirected in one big trench heading for the edge of the trail. :eek: I suppose I could have just relaxed and followed the trench into the next turn, but I thought, "What if he didn't make the turn and went off the trail?", so with great effort, I forced my way out of that trench. This is a true story. And, as it turns out, he did make it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4