Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line: 2021-2022

Eboot

This one isn't what I heard, it's what I sometimes say.  😀  If I get in line behind a fifty-something boarder I'll say, "aren't you a little old to be snowboarding?"  They spin around and see my weathered countenance, the sticker on my board (the same one on my helmet) and grin.

oldster.jpg.6b1a2b2e24d7f163ef7a79a82fc903f2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Another Rider: "Oh, I thought you were on hard boots."

Me: " No, it's a softboard just like the one you are riding."

Very next time on the lift line.

Another Rider: "Are you riding a racing snowboard."

• Like 3

Guy in front of me: «What do you call that kind of ski?»

Me: «First, I have to call it a snowboard or it gets grumpy. Second, I usually call it my side-wife»

Guy in front of me gives me a look like I just served up the biggest plate of BS that he ever saw.

🤪

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

The guy behind me asked, “is that a ski or a snowboard?” I was at a loss for words when I noticed that he was a Jackson Hole ski instructor.… Youda thunk he woulda known better. 

Similarly, had an older instructor on chair behind me telling his student I was on a monoski...  I corrected him 😉

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 12:04 AM, jtslalom said:

Another Rider: "Oh, I thought you were on hard boots."

Very next time on the lift line.

Another Rider: "Are you riding a racing snowboard."

I find thats a pretty common one with any soft boot carving board thats either a hammer head or a semi hammer head shape

On 2/15/2022 at 3:24 PM, big mario said:

"is that a split board?''

Random snowboard chick on rental gear pointing at my 195 virus

I can't have a session without getting "is that a split-board" at least twice.
I have no idea why as nobody is split-boarding in Appalachia.

"Look, ski boots on a snowboard" is another popular one, but they get 50% of that statement correct so I just agree with them.

Every instructor I've come across also has no idea what it is.
Ski patrol seem to know what's up though.

8 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Some instructors know.

Yup. I was at Marmot Basin last week, gave one instructor and his struggling student a wide berth but got the thumbs up as I went past underneath them on a fairly low toeside carve. Also had a lifty asking me about my gear, she knew what it was, just curious about the experience. 

Some instructors definitely know! I barely strapped in thismorning and an instructor stopped me and talked about how he had one of the first asyms, and how he used to teach on them. Said he has been considering getting back into it too 

Also today, besides the typical "Are those ski boots?!":

Liftie riding down the chair looks to me and says "corduroy killer! How many of those arcs are yours?" referencing the truns on the run below. A good number were mine, but there are actually quite a few good softie carvers at June on any given day. 

Another Liftie "how do you like that setup? Is it like a long board?" 

So, the Triple is on hold as they extricate a guy and his backpack from hanging off the lift at the top, and I head over to CTEC1.  In line about to get on when out of nowhere I hear "Oh, man!"

I look behind me and one of the heads of operations (also chief groomer) walks up and says, "Man, those new morning guys hate you!" 

I blurt out, "Whaaat?"  

He says, "They can't get rid of your trenches."  We laughed and fist bumped.

Apparently, the new morning groomers don't know how to operate the groomer blade as most of PP "grooming" consists of running the groomer over an area and use of the rear grinder and sweep. 

This place... 😂  

Edited by lonbordin
  • Like 3

On 2/23/2022 at 3:44 PM, scottishsurfer said:

I find thats a pretty common one with any soft boot carving board thats either a hammer head or a semi hammer head shape

When I'm on the Dynastar 3800, I get at least 50% of people say it's a carving board or even a race board. No idea why, as it is actually a grandfather to so many pow-carving shapes that are very popular currently - slightly pointed nose, small notch on the tail, otherwise fat and almost twin tipped. It's probably my boots and forward angles that confuse them... 

I heard several people referring to my board as a "carving board". This is at Wolf Creek with 50+" forecasted over several days; and it is powder nirvana.

I'm riding a Tanker 171 on softboots...

I guess 171 is big, and big means carving setup.

Apparently me mentioning 10.75m sidecut also means carving setup.

The board has a flat camber with rocker in the nose/tail for powder float... so......

• Like 1