Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line: 2021-2022

Eboot

And remember if you are serious, alcohol is a colossal waste of time.

It inhibits recovery or increases the recovery time. Purpose of those tears is to heal and come back at a stronger level of strength/fitness. You may be healing and at the same exact level of strength/fitness (blue collar thinking here).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Odd Job said:

And remember if you are serious, alcohol is a colossal waste of time.

It inhibits recovery or increases the recovery time. Purpose of those tears is to heal and come back at a stronger level of strength/fitness. You may be healing and at the same exact level of strength/fitness (blue collar thinking here).

that's not what we want to hear, but maybe we need to hear. thanks a lot.

• Haha 2

Two new ones on me:

1) "So is that a top-of-the-snow board?"  Me: "um, I don't know what that means"

2) guy on rental ski gear on the hill, we were leap frogging with our rest stops, he asks "so are you just exaggerating for effect?" Me: "haha, no, just having fun"

6 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

this morning 8:45 🙂 are you "softbootsurfer" ?

you have arrived!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mid-run at ABasin today.

Instructor asks me, is that a slalom board? 

I'm on a Tanker 171 and say it's made for powder and has no camber, but it carves really well.

I'm also on softboots riding 21/12 binding angles.
Would have probably asked the same question if I was riding 15/0, or even duck....

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Odd Job said:

Mid-run at ABasin today.

Instructor asks me, is that a slalom board? 

I'm on a Tanker 171 and say it's made for powder and has no camber, but it carves really well.

I'm also on softboots riding 21/12 binding angles.
Would have probably asked the same question if I was riding 15/0, or even duck....

Yes, they do. They regularly call my 3800 "a carving board", even the instructors who regularly ride with me and have been told it's a powder board... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Odd Job said:

5 hours ago, BlueB said:

Yes, they do. They regularly call my 3800 "a carving board", even the instructors who regularly ride with me and have been told it's a powder board...

Clearly we have been looking at this all wrong: its not the board that people are responding to, its the rider 🙂 

• Like 1

Y'all's music isn't loud enough, apparently.  I turn mine down when I'm under way, but I make it loud in the lift line because the novelty of talking about my gear with the kook brigade wore off years ago. I'm not exactly known for being warm and fuzzy so YMMV. 

I do like it when the little old ladies and old heads talk to me though.  I don't have any love left for Thad, Brad, and Tad from Ohio State on spring break. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

In the gondy, at Blackcomb, a softbooter started conversation with us, attracted to our hardboots. He goes "I'm a carver..." and from his comments, I could see he knows what he was talking about. We mentioned Cypress, then he goes "Hey, did you have a long ponytail, back then (15 years ago!)?" Umm, yes... "You are Boris!!!". Wow?! Later I remembered who the guy was - we used to call him and his buddy 'the Arbor Brothers', as they were always trenching on their A-frames with forward stances. A blast from the past! 

• Like 7

On 4/21/2022 at 6:12 PM, BlueB said:

In the gondy, at Blackcomb, a softbooter started conversation with us, attracted to our hardboots. He goes "I'm a carver..." and from his comments, I could see he knows what he was talking about. We mentioned Cypress, then he goes "Hey, did you have a long ponytail, back then (15 years ago!)?" Umm, yes... "You are Boris!!!". Wow?! Later I remembered who the guy was - we used to call him and his buddy 'the Arbor Brothers', as they were always trenching on their A-frames with forward stances. A blast from the past! 

and just before he came into the gondola at the mid station you were telling me about how you used to have a ponytail... crazy coincidence

Fairly sure this was directed at me.
"Are you [bro brah ****house]?"

Should've asked him to donate to my patreon. 

Shit riding skills and poor judgement. YT is a low percentage play for a high enough income to support a family with benefits.

Edited by Odd Job

Two weeks ago I got off the lift, slid past a woman from the previous chair, stepped in, and had gone about 2 more feet when she said, very loudly, "what the ****?"

I can't be 100% that my setup was actually the **** in question, but I have no idea what else it could have been.

Also, last week I saw a guy on an actual monoski

• Like 2

Yesterday at Kirkwood was extra.

How long you have been ridding EURO Board?  This was new one for me but guy was correct thinking about it now. I was on F2. Answer  30+ years

girl lift op. Wow race board. I am on directional split board. Left without comment.

do you wear that bib (Visibly impaired) because you don’t see or you want more space people give you?  I have one eye working and people don’t give a shit with extra space.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I’m lucky enough to work near Big Snow in Jersey. It’s an indoor snow slope that’s maintained at 28 degrees so you can ride year round. Yesterday at the top of the hill a guy next to me leans over and says “is that a full alpine set up?” Emphasis on “full” for some reason. I just said “yes. Yes it is” and rode away. F7D42B76-E3C3-456E-A1DD-E708DA960650.jpeg.d460d3aceb988719012e64846fd675d1.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 8:03 PM, Mr Wonton said:

I’m lucky enough to work near Big Snow in Jersey. It’s an indoor snow slope that’s maintained at 28 degrees so you can ride year round.

awesome!  any insights/thought/review you like to share?

when is the best time/day to go?
less crowd, good grooming lol. listen to me this choosy beggar here lol
More importantly - on expectation setting
How is the riding? is it actually conducive to practice/drill/dial in setup? or it's more of a novelty? 

Thank you in advance!

2 hours ago, pow4ever said:

awesome!  any insights/thought/review you like to share?

when is the best time/day to go?
less crowd, good grooming lol. listen to me this choosy beggar here lol
More importantly - on expectation setting
How is the riding? is it actually conducive to practice/drill/dial in setup? or it's more of a novelty? 

Thank you in advance!

The quick answer, for me, it’s worth going. I get out of work at 12:15 and the first slope access is at 1:00 so the timing is good.  I ve been going on Friday’s. At 1:00 when they first let people on the slopes, it’s groomed and not too crowded. It does get busier as the time goes on but it’s never any kind of long line at the lift. Pretty much always just hop right on. The tickets are sold in 2 hour blocks and that’s about as long as I’d want to be there. The hill itself is not very big, you can prolly get 7 or so turns per run. Maybe a few more, maybe a few less depending on how tight you carve. Last time I went I did 21 runs in the 2 hours. I’ve been boarding for 34 years but last winter was my first hard booting so I find the place great for practice/learning/keeping myself doing turns even when it’s 90 degrees outside. Only you can decide if it’s worth the trip. 

• Like 1