Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line: 2021-2022

Eboot

3 minutes ago, dropthebody said:

I had a co-worker that despised snowboarders. I told him I wasn't your average Boarder. I am a Alpine Carver. He said I was even worse because of the trenches. I told him "If you can't handle the trenches, you need more ski lessons." He wouldn't speak to me after that.🤣

Luv it!

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2022 at 6:17 PM, bigwavedave said:

I hate when my own trenches start interfering with my own carving bliss, and they do sometimes. =

it's a great fun/exercise to make tighter and tighter turn then the last.
Until the leg/lung give up or your over power the board and get buck lol...

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 12:08 PM, Jack M said:

Seriously has anyone successfully ridden at Deer Valley or Alta claiming to be a monoskier?  I may have to go to DV for one of my daughter's competitions.

On the bright side of this thread... the other dayI was waiting for @trailertrash on the side of the trail and as he approached, a group of skiers near me said "check out the alpine boarder!"  🤯

I remember seeing a Mono-Skier at Solitude and Snowbird (Same Guy). Not too many out there like us Carvers!

6 hours ago, pow4ever said:

it's a great fun/exercise to make tighter and tighter turn then the last.
Until the leg/lung give up or your over power the board and get buck lol...

Like I told my Skier Co-Worker, If you can't handle the trenches, take more lessons or suck it up and carve on!😅

Rode up to a mid mountain bar/fondue today. Guy asks “is that a snowboard you strap ski boots on to?”

10 minutes later I still don’t think he quite had the concept of what an alpine snowboard boot or board was.

Riding in Switzerland for the first time. (Yes he spoke perfect English and was British.) Have only seen one other hardbooter in 3 days.

still, there is this……😎👍

DBAE6503-46DF-451D-B182-0F061FC7F98D.jpeg.24af1418d48d4773969fd6d3cdb22631.jpeg

And this

405A87D0-11D9-436E-B66F-3FEACA33DC03.jpeg.79f58dbdebf85c9b32589c36583abd2a.jpeg

• Like 9

Very cool pics!

It never ceases to amaze me how few people know what in the heck it is we do and strive for and even fewer care after they have some idea. Me being convinced that carving, hard or soft, was the coolest thing you could do on snow, after my first glimpse of the Pure Carve vid about 2000, I could never get ANY of my long time ski buddies even remotely interested. My favorite vid wouldn’t even hold their attention for as much as a minute. Their strongest response would be, “Oh, why would you want to do that?”
Oh well, I have found one other Crystal Mt carver and we chase each other down the Mt when we can text up. He’s further along in his carving than I am and he is 25 years my junior but we push each other along. 

• Like 2

Guy behind me yesterday must have noticed the Rev180 and 60 degree angles. Made a phone call I guess. "Dude, I'm behind a thing that looks like a snowboard but it's not a snowboard!" I just kind of shrug my shoulders at those.

Next run I had a person in the line next to me say "wow, a Donek! I have one too, but don't have the bombers." 

Never know what you'll get.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lucasgo said:

Made a phone call I guess.

Not just talking about someone else within their hearing, but actually going to the trouble of taking out and using an electronic device to do it? I must be getting old, because that seems extremely rude to me.

Leaving today and passed a group of college age guys one says, "Hey it's that straightboarder, the one that was doing all those carves!"

That little voice in my head wanted to say how high are you? But I controlled that instinct and just smiled and waved.

Went back in for the restroom prior to the drive home and a lady comes up and says, "Your the best snowboarder I've ever seen."  Oh, that little voice being all worked up from the last encounter almost got out as it wanted to say you must not have seen many snowboarders! But thankfully I remaind in control and said thank you.

I think this all stems from there being only one carver on the one really carvable run that is under the only open lift.

Edited by lonbordin
Captive audience.
  • Like 6

"That's awesome!" - Ski instructor on lift line.

"Look at his shoes! What are those?!" - Kids behind me on lift line.

I also had a nice chat with a guy at my local hill who was really carving it up in softboots on a Donek Knapton Twin.  He asked about hard boots and how it felt to ride them, I asked him about how he liked his board.

• Like 1

<Lifty, checking out my carving setup> "Whoa, that's badass!"

---- Later that session ------

<Ski Patrol guy, beside me on a chairlift> "So, do you consider yourself a skier or a snowboarder?"

<Me> "I identify as a skier trapped inside a snowboarder's body."

Edited by GetLowBob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6