Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the Lift Line: 2021-2022

Eboot

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, pow4ever said:

thank you for the intel on Bigsnow!
I will wait for groupon or my ski club to put a trip together 🙂
It doesn't look American Dream mall is doing well financially.  Hope the indoor ski area continue to flourish.

I’ve heard the mall isn’t doing well. I hope it does enough to stay open. I’ve been enjoying being able to ride there. 

• 2 weeks later...

1st day of the season for me. Got 90 minutes after flying in this morning. Unclipping at the end of the last run. Young woman with brightly dyed red hair (boarder) comes up behind me. "What is THAT?"

Standard explanation, carving skis, carving snowboards etc.

"Man, that is SICK!!!"

• Like 1

"I was enjoying watching you carve." said the young Swedish snowboard instructor who stopped beside me at Cardrona today.

Sadly, a male Swedish snowboard instructor. He's got a Korua planned as a carving board purchase in the near future.

Must be my new dark red Marmot jacket/trou. I've been getting a few "We were watching...." on the chair lift rides.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

"I was enjoying watching you carve." said the young Swedish snowboard instructor who stopped beside me at at Cardrona today.

Sadly, a male Swedish snowboard instructor. He's got a Korua planned as a carving board purchase in the near future.

Must be my new dark red Marmot jacket/trou. I've been getting a few "We were watching...." on the chair lift rides.

Korua??? What type of board and what specs?

6 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

@1xsculler

https://koruashapes.com/

Not sure which model. Look on YouTube for people carving them, or in the Softboot Carving Worth Watching thread.

Thanks. I’m planning on starting out next season on a 158-160, 30-26-30ish, 35/25 using my UPZ RC10s and will watch a few “softboot carving worth watching” vids the evening before my first day. I tried that last year on a demo 159W Lib tech Dynamo and I had a ball although the tight turning wore me out pretty fast (working on quad strength this off season). 
Thinking of taking Pat Donnley’s advice and trying a 158 Nidecker Blade. 

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived back where I'm staying in Wanaka on my current riding trip to Cardrona and was told about this Facebook post on Cardrona Snow Reports.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/335106437170807/permalink/1033424770672300/

PS: Got in contact with the person who shot the video, and who posted it on Facebook, and got a copy of the posted file.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 6

On 8/10/2022 at 6:30 PM, 1xsculler said:

Beautiful weather! Beautiful terrain and surface and very nice carving!

Surface was reasonable for Cardrona, but watch the knees and board tip to see the bumps being soaked up. This is a few hours into the day, the morning groom is long gone and lumps of scuffed off snow are starting to form.

The board is a P-tex topped Coiler Nirvana Energy T4  174cm and damps vibrations pretty effectively.

This is Cardrona with a good surface.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last night...

Q: How old is that?
A: Last season, about 8 months. How old's your stuff?

It's an interesting perspective. To me, strap bindings look really old, like that first Burton snowboard I ever saw, all black straps. Their boots are practically leather lace ups... compared with my high technology race bindings and carbon fibre. 

As a kid I don't think I'd have been happy getting my arse kicked by an old git on "old" equipment. Fashion is a massively strong driver for youth though. Maybe I'd have taken up skiing - at least there high technology boots are allowed.

There was more positive feedback from people who knew about the whole split board fashion for "old" equipment.

20221008_193838.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 2:00 PM, philw said:

Last night...

Q: How old is that?
A: Last season, about 8 months. How old's your stuff?

It's an interesting perspective. To me, strap bindings look really old, like that first Burton snowboard I ever saw, all black straps. Their boots are practically leather lace ups... compared with my high technology race bindings and carbon fibre. 

As a kid I don't think I'd have been happy getting my arse kicked by an old git on "old" equipment. Fashion is a massively strong driver for youth though. Maybe I'd have taken up skiing - at least there high technology boots are allowed.

There was more positive feedback from people who knew about the whole split board fashion for "old" equipment.

20221008_193838.jpg

Is that hemel hempsted? riding hards indoors gets interesting looks😅

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

Is that hemel hempsted? riding hards indoors gets interesting looks😅

Yup. Hemel. I rode there in hard boots when it was plastic, at which point it had some decent bumps. Then, I'd be the only snowboarder, full stop. My gear has probably changed more than soft boot gear since those days, which makes it even funnier, if only to me.

The kids should be looking at the Hometown Hero, which rides really well with soft or hard boots.

This was a special booking limited to 50 people, none of them complete numpties - I would assume it's usually busier and objectively riskier on a Saturday evening than this. There's a small [even more novice] novice slope on skier's left at the bottom. I think that may have a magic carpet, otherwise you have a slow drag at each side, with the one on skier's right being very slightly quicker, but not by much. Lift time exceeds riding time at these places.

• 2 months later...

Tiny ski hill that's like a cultural snapshot from the early 2000s:

"Are you having fun on your ...uh... board?" 

"Is that a monoski? I've never seen one before!" 

"What is that?!?" 

"I gotta get one of those!" 

• Like 1