Note to New Members ×

The trail under the lift

workshop7

I'm truly happy riding my board following friends and family down any trail.  Weather it be green, blue, black, groomer, bumps or trees, I don't care.  I'll always look for a good pitch of corduroy to link carved turns over everything else, but I really do just love being outside enjoying the snow with others.

However.

There is a side of me that has not faded since the early 90s.  If I come across an aggressive groomer that's underneath a lift...showtime!  I know, as all of you do as well, that most of the people on that lift have never seen a snowboarder do much more than scrape the snow off the trail.  Not today my friend.  My goal is to get everyone on that lift to turn around to look downhill and watch until I'm out of sight.  I love ripping as many hard carved turns as I my legs will allow while listening for the "Whoohoo!" from one or two of them.

Am I alone in this?  A narcissist, or are many of you right there with me?

• Like 6

Spillway at the Loaf is one of the best carving trails in the entirety of New England. IMO. Sometimes even mountain media steals a souvenir to share. Lots of good trails under lifts and you can inspect every ride up too. You are not alone. Could be bit of a 90’s thing too. @trailertrash ruined spillway yesterday morning. Gondi was nice. Upper skidder still the best.

64A51AD1-756E-450C-822D-7CB28557064D.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Total "hollywood" hore here, and it don't need to be groomed to prove hardboots work great for for pulling spins while lacing the bumps under the lift,

https://live.staticflickr.com/video/4430751140/a90af4c4ab/700.mp4?s=eyJpIjo0NDMwNzUxMTQwLCJlIjoxNTgzODQ5MzQ5LCJzIjoiMDYzZjE4ZDIxOWM3MmE2NzJkZWQxZGMzMDdjMmUyZjkyNTI0MjMxMCIsInYiOjF9

working in progress carver here:  
Used to hate it and actively avoid such trail...
Same with video/photo session; something about other watching just throw my games off.

Now still not a huge fan but if the snow is good then so be it.

on those rare occasion where the star align:  I can see why getting cheers/head turners from chair is a positive thing.

3 hours ago, workshop7 said:

If I come across an aggressive groomer that's underneath a lift...showtime!  I know, as all of you do as well, that most of the people on that lift have never seen a snowboarder do much more than scrape the snow off the trail.  Not today my friend.  My goal is to get everyone on that lift to turn around to look downhill and watch until I'm out of sight.  I love ripping as many hard carved turns as I my legs will allow while listening for the "Whoohoo!" from one or two of them.

Am I alone in this?  A narcissist, or are many of you right there with me?

I'm 100% guilty of this.  At the little local hill, I spend most of my day on a black run under a triple chair that feeds only those steeper runs.  I try to do a few runs on the mild blue run under the much busier quad chair near the lodge purely for showboating.  If I can get one person interested enough to even look into carving I'll be happy. 

It is funny getting on the chair with someone (singles line), and part-way up they say, "Wait, you're the guy we've been seeing all day!"  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JohnE said:

The run underneath the West Buttermilk lift in Aspen. Easy run. Usually vacant. West Buttermilk is populated mostly by beginning skiers. 

Guilty. I had company. Pow4ever, Pat Donnelly & ktv are guilty as well. Our only defence is that "The light was better with the shadow from the trees."

Edited by SunSurfer

I get kinda of disappointed if I don't see anyone on the lift and I lose some motivation.  But I don't like it when I scrub and folks are staring down at me.  

Also, in my mind I think they're are saying, "he takes the whole run...avoid that guy!"

• Like 1

When SES was in Aspen, I always thought a great video would be to gather a bunch of carvers at the top of the West Buttermilk Lift and have a videographer get on the lift below. At the right time, each rider could start down the run under the lift and have another follow behind about 5 - 10 seconds later. The videographer would catch each rider coming into view and then passing beneath as the next rider came into the frame. 

• Like 1