Note to New Members ×

The trail under the lift

workshop7

3 hours ago, JohnE said:

When SES was in Aspen, I always thought a great video would be to gather a bunch of carvers at the top of the West Buttermilk Lift and have a videographer get on the lift below. At the right time, each rider could start down the run under the lift and have another follow behind about 5 - 10 seconds later. The videographer would catch each rider coming into view and then passing beneath as the next rider came into the frame. 

This is a Terrible Idea !! It is a Flat run, that only Kooks go on...nobody should go there

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just last Saturday I discovered a double black called “Double Dipper” at Killington that was incredible. Very long sustained steep pitch.  I was doing laps on it until my legs gave out and it happened to be right under the lift 😲 The rest of the day I had people commenting on my riding. I actually had a lady want to follow me around to watch...That was a little creepy, she ripped on skies. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GeoffV said:

Just last Saturday I discovered a double black called “Double Dipper” at Killington that was incredible. Very long sustained steep pitch.  I was doing laps on it until my legs gave out and it happened to be right under the lift 😲 The rest of the day I had people commenting on my riding. I actually had a lady want to follow me around to watch...That was a little creepy, she ripped on skies. 

Lucky. That trail was a massive mogul field when I was there 2 weeks ago. 

Good lord yes - see my avatar. I think that was at Okemo.

My most rewarding day at my local hill (Bousquet in Pittsfield, MA on fresh groom over decent base for once) was when I came to the bottom and the lift had shut down. I asked the liftie what was wrong and he said: "Nothing - I just didn't want the people on the chairs to miss you."

An hour later the whole slope was shut down and I asked the patrolman what had happened and he told me the trenches were getting so many complaints they had to re-groom. Most satisfying.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 6:48 PM, GeoffV said:

I actually had a lady want to follow me around to watch...That was a little creepy, she ripped on skies. 

This happened to me a few years ago when I happened to be carving in softboots.  I did my usual shoulder check before starting down the run and noticed a couple of people standing behind me.   One of them said something like “go ahead, we just came to watch”.  One of them had seen me earlier and brought a friend to check it out.   Finished the run, then got high fives from them. : )  They were both skiers as well.

Just this past weekend, the Provincial championships were being held at my home hill.   I did some runs under the chair that included some 180 switch transitions.   A few runs later, a teenage racer walked over from the starting gate area as I got off the chair.   He had a smile on his face and told me how cool it looked.: )

• Like 1

Another take on this is,  anyone who is first exposed to seeing an alpineboarder at work.   Back at the lodge is excitedly talking of someone out there that is getting so low on each turn that they are dragging their arm and body on the snow.   In a low  voice,  say to them , that it might be me.     Result is usually disbelief.  

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 6:31 AM, workshop7 said:

I'm truly happy riding my board following friends and family down any trail.  Weather it be green, blue, black, groomer, bumps or trees, I don't care.  I'll always look for a good pitch of corduroy to link carved turns over everything else, but I really do just love being outside enjoying the snow with others.

However.

There is a side of me that has not faded since the early 90s.  If I come across an aggressive groomer that's underneath a lift...showtime!  I know, as all of you do as well, that most of the people on that lift have never seen a snowboarder do much more than scrape the snow off the trail.  Not today my friend.  My goal is to get everyone on that lift to turn around to look downhill and watch until I'm out of sight.  I love ripping as many hard carved turns as I my legs will allow while listening for the "Whoohoo!" from one or two of them.

Am I alone in this?  A narcissist, or are many of you right there with me?

Word.

Watch out for poles skiers drop in the snow. Can really ruin your day if you don't see it. I've seen them groomed into the snow at my local hill, but the more likely danger is when they drop one in fresh snow. My daughter broke her hand hitting one that sank into 4" of fresh over groom while taking a warm-up run before a race. 

Since no one caught it on film, I did not launch off of a grooming ridge at a high rate of speed on day one of MCC into the chop in a bhudda belly flop under the lift in sundance bowl. Don't believe anything Corey and Riceball say.  Lies. All of it...

mario

Most  of our favorite runs are either parallel to, or cross under the lifts at lovey.  I've had some spectacular runs, as well as explosions on Scrub, which is right next to lift 4. because of this proximity, we also get to admire our handy work, and it's aftermath as well. We watched a rather large KanTexahoman lose a ski and save it under lift 6  as he crossed someone's trench last week. I cannot take credit for it since there was about 8 of us ripping apart that run.

good times

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

My favorite part:ices_ange...Though, I'm usually trying to use my telepathic powers to will the erasers (ski sliders) away from my pristine, artfully crafted tracks.

Yea Dave, I get this a lot at Milk, they go crazy, first trying to match the Track, then when they can't, they go out of their way to sideslip it into extinction, what they don't realize, is that All of our Carves, are magically stored in our Sticks, forever... 🧙‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 2