Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line - 2020/2021

SunSurfer

Teenage girl in front of me in line with her parents was staring back at my board. My wife points it out and the girl asks, "What angles are you riding?". I was a bit taken back because I did not not know off hand. I was glad she was not the bridge keeper from Life of Brian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Whistler is just another Disneyland. From this year:

Look, a monoski!

That's a weird board to go touring with. - ??? - Those are touring bindings right?

Why did you put the tin foil on that old Burton? (metal Coiler)

Father to kid: Look, this is how the boards looked like in the 80s!

You know, they have really cheap gloves for sale in Can-ski... (pointing on my sliding gloves covered in gorilla tape)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/8/2021 at 4:54 PM, Corey said:

Best answer yet! Noted and stolen for future use! 

so I met this guy last year on one of the local hills and he asks whats the difference between softboard and this thing you ride? 

Did you ever ride a Vespa? - (he nods eagerly) so I am riding a ducati whereas yours is a vespa....

I think i stole that from Beckmann but cant recall from where.

Funnily enough next year I see him on hardboots asking for advice and setup help!

• Like 4

It was one of those WTF moments when, committed to a tight turn on a narrow section, I realize I am going to run out of real estate and can’t unhook.  Survivor brain takes over and the next thing I go over the handle bars and bounce hard, landing face up in a pile of snow off the edge of the trail.

After lying there for a few seconds, making sure that all the critical bits are still attached / working I hear from the lift overhead; wow, I give you a 9.5 for that.

I raised my hand and waved, gently.

• Haha 5

On 2/15/2021 at 4:27 PM, Chouinard said:

Morse code...turned around to see a little kid banging down on the top of my board with the bottom tip of his ski pole.

Kids that do that to my boards get the "death" stare!

If they're with their parents I speak to the parents, if alone I explain lift queue etiquette to them. I have a way with words!

One of the Covid social distancing advantages is that it wasn't possible winter 2020 season!

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Kids that do that to my boards get the "death" stare!

If they're with their parents I speak to the parents, if alone I explain lift queue etiquette to them. I have a way with words!

OMG that would of pissed me off. Count to 10 then scold politely 

I rode my softie setup for a while today... I put it away and came back with the biggest SCR board and the UPZs.

That run was STOKE off the scale.  I came into the lift and the liftie said,"You happy to back in those boots?"  To which I replied, "ESTATIC! Thanks".  He said he watched me come down and could see it in my face...

Edited by lonbordin
note to self... poker might not be a good idea.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

The best thing I heard all year was just the him of the chairlift motor and nothing else.  Took a day off work and had the whole place to myself for about two hours on a blue bird day and some of the best carving snow conditions.

The other thing I heard was somebody pointing at my setup and saying that the board manufacturers will try anything to improve sales. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Charliechocolate entering the loading area, on his MK, the liftie said: "Oh some cool boards (or interesting, or something of that extent) today". 

Then he saw me behind on skwal, front foot loose for paddling and he goes: "This is... this is.... this is..... a cool board!" 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Standing outside the lift maze At lovey as Ice, Mr E and myself were heading to our vehicles, the head of the racing program saw our boards and chatted us up:

" I love watching you guys carve, I want to do that.  At some point  I would love to open up Twist to you guys( dedicated fis rated race slope, with a few sackin' up worthy pitches on it) and just watch, maybe on a wednesday". That would be awesome, we spend the whole season drooling about that pristine pitch. He also mentioned that it would be nice to get a few snowboard racers in the mix, and develop a snowboard race team. It was a nice reprieve from our usual idiotic Kantexahoman speedboard comments

mario

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, teach said:

"Did you invent that yourself?"

(blank stare from us while trying to comprehend. Oh, right, alpine gear!)

Before we'd had a chance to gather our wits, another try:

"Is that like what telemark is to skiing?"

A perfect example of a stupid person trying to be a smartass.  Kids usually have better questions than adults !