Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line - 2020/2021

SunSurfer

Those of you who have ridden chairs with me at Aspen sessions since 2015 may remember the hand armour I wear. (Crazy DIY Kiwi).

It's a real conversation starter on the chair, like more than 50% of the time someone will ask what they are. Rode with a lady a little younger than me at Cardrona today, she was suggesting I use the opportunity as a "chat up" line. Given that my wife and I will be celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary this weekend I didn't take up the offer. 😎

• Like 1

Today's gems.

Intelligent child, maybe 6-8 years old. "Is that some type of ski, or some type of snowboard?" (Coiler Nirvana 174, ptex top).

Guy chats to me in the queue. "You been riding here the last few days?" (Nod yes)

"My kids and I were watching you carving Sluicebox yesterday. You were ripping!" (Sluicebox is reasonably steep and otherwise as the name would suggest)

• 4 months later...

This morning, I was at an instructor training session, riding my 3800 with plates, when I saw a guy on a Coiler merging into the lift lines from the other side. Somone I never met before... As he approached, I asked: "Sorry Sir, why do you ride with ski boots?", while lifting my leg to show mine. He didn't see my boots at first, but started giving usual explanations 🤣 

I have to see if I can find the guy in the pm, to be a bit friendlier... 

I almost forgot this from last weekend: 

Lift ticket checker looks at my board and says, "Oh, that's a ..." 

Long pause

Me: "Snowboard." (Yes, I'm that guy sometimes)

Her: "No, it's a ..."

Me: "Alpine or carving board, kind of like race stuff." 

Her: "No, thats not it. I can't think of it now..."

Me: "OK, bye." 

Every time I went by she was wracking her brain, trying desperately to put a name to the thing I told her the name for. Not in a rude way, just puzzled. It's a tiny hill, so I went by a lot! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

"Is that an alpine board"

"Yup"

"Cool, how it different than a regular snowboard?"

"It's kind if like the difference between a race ski and a park ski"

"I don't know what those are".

Discussed basics of nose height, flex, and effective edge relative to overall length.

14 minutes ago, Mr.E said:

"Is that an alpine board"

"Yup"

"Cool, how it different than a regular snowboard?"

"It's kind if like the difference between a race ski and a park ski"

"I don't know what those are".

Discussed basics of nose height, flex, and effective edge relative to overall length.

I usually compare race bikes and dirtbikes)) for most people it's easier to visualize it

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Corey said:

Every time I went by she was wracking her brain, trying desperately to put a name to the thing I told her the name for. Not in a rude way, just puzzled. It's a tiny hill, so I went by a lot! 

Ski board?  That’s what somebody said I was on last night.

Top of the lift, by a start of a blue run: 

"Excuse me Sir, any tips how to get down this?" First timer, first time up a chair, ever, finds a guy on a slalom board to teach him 🤪

Basically, all I could do is convince him to go to the other side of the chair, to a steep green run... 

Curious=   Today,  Excited and confused,  What do you call that?   

Me= It is an alpineboard.  

Curious= They should make those and sell them.  

Me= "They"  do, this is a Donek made by Sean Martin in Colorado. He makes the boards, and sells the bindings and boots as well. 

Curious=  No, I mean "They" should make these at a factory and sell them at stores.  

??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1