Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line - 2020/2021

SunSurfer

1st let me say I use poles cause scootch leg suucks

rode the lift with a couple rippin 20?year old skiers , they grew up at schwietzer have seen me ride there for years; as the conversation went on I realized I was THAT guy, when they said "We hope we can still rip it up like that when we're your age!!"

humbled and proud at the same time at 59yrs old

• Like 1

Got to say the lifties at Meadows this year have been great; tons of "those boards are awesome", "love the way you guys ride those", but the best was night riding a few weeks ago and being told by the liftie that "hardbooters can skip the line and use the patrol entrance". 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, b0ardski said:

1st let me say I use poles cause scootch leg suucks

rode the lift with a couple rippin 20?year old skiers , they grew up at schwietzer have seen me ride there for years; as the conversation went on I realized I was THAT guy, when they said "We hope we can still rip it up like that when we're your age!!"

humbled and proud at the same time at 59yrs old

Did you tell him to give up on that dream since he can't even rip it up like that now in his 20s, therefore has no chance when he gets older?

Probably not since you're a nicer person than me :AR15firin

I'm just joking of course :1luvu:

Totally agree with you jburk.  Staff at Meadows has been beyond pleasant and laudatory this year.  Some have tried to explain what I was riding to other chairs full of people— and actually got the history more or less correct!  I even had one lift operator  ask a skier to stop skiing over my board . . . AND he called it a board and not a monoski!

Maybe it’s the COVID . . . 

On 2/5/2021 at 11:47 AM, RobertAlexander said:

Curious=   Today,  Excited and confused,  What do you call that?   

Me= It is an alpineboard.  

Curious= They should make those and sell them.  

Me= "They"  do, this is a Donek made by Sean Martin in Colorado. He makes the boards, and sells the bindings and boots as well. 

Curious=  No, I mean "They" should make these at a factory and sell them at stores.  

??

Let me translate for you.

"Burton should make them" 

Easy response.

"They used to"

• Like 1

The compliments keep coming, Ice, while getting on ptarmigan, and I while getting off of 6 both got the " I love watching you guys turn" comments from 2 random unaffiliated skiers

Its nice to be appreciated

• Like 6

Still more stuff:

In the parking lot whilst Kneel and I are getting our stuff together, a random guy walks up and says he's glad to see the carvers are here again (he recognized my cheap ass highway dept. neon green rain bibs). He asked about our Thirsts, if we knew about kesslers, that he had some kessler ski's, and said if he ever wanted to snowboard, he would want to carve like us. It was a really great interaction, and the knowledge of our conveyances was refreshing.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the spectrum...

I was kinda drifting backwards after clicking into the Stoopid Fun trying to get myself turned around, and a women on softies whom I slid in front of, said "Wow, that is Awesome!! What is that! Do you snowboard? To which i replied, smiling(I was on the little toy, so how could i not be smiling) It is a snowboard, and yes, I do, every Sunday. " But do you snowboard?" was her reply. I reiterated that I snowboard as often as possible. This time, she pointed at her rental setup and said "no, like this". Still smiling, yet finding myself tiring of this exchange, I said" not anymore" and proceeded to lay down a bunch of ribbon candy as I was making my escape, thus ending our circular conversation.

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/11/2021 at 9:43 PM, JSchindler said:

Totally agree with you jburk.  Staff at Meadows has been beyond pleasant and laudatory this year.  Some have tried to explain what I was riding to other chairs full of people— and actually got the history more or less correct!  I even had one lift operator  ask a skier to stop skiing over my board . . . AND he called it a board and not a monoski!

Maybe it’s the COVID . . . 

I did have to correct a ski patrol at Meadows this year when he pointed out to the person behind me that I was on an old school board with ski boots.  If it was just a random I probably wouldn't have said anything.

Lift operator, last week: "Cool, that's gotta be a much better way to put bindings on a monoski."

Different lift operator, last Wednesday: "Whoah, that's not a monoski, that's a monoboard!"

Random guy on lift, yesterday: "Can I ask you some questions? I've only seen those in slalom racing." That blew my mind. I mean, I was so completely blown away I didn't realize I should have told him how awesome and rare it is for someone to actually recognize a race board. 🙂

• Like 2