Note to New Members ×

Mountain Slope new website

MountainSlope

I don't see Full Tilt as an alternative. They're just Deeluxe 425 with ski boot soles: same shell, wrong heels -> no advantage for snowboarders here.

Regarding Mountain Slope: Thanks for your courage in our winter sports niche :1luvu:

Edited by nextcarve
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yamifumi said:

Which model do you recommend? I was always curious if FT is possible. 

Aren’t the full tilts just flexon reissues under a different name? 

Pretty good step up from most ski boots but still gonna be a lot of messing around to make them work.

been there, done that, much happier in AF700s with a race tongue, burton Fire, heads or UPZ. 

Try it out though, it’s a good exercise in understanding what you want in a boot. Works for some. 

a torch, heavy gloves and a knife are gonna be your friend here. 

Heat the knife like you’re gonna be hot knifing hashish and get to work on the shell. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Corey said:

You say this like this is a common skill!  ;)  

I assume that just means "really hot".  

As hot as you can without inducing instant flame when it contacts the ‘product’

14 hours ago, skategoat said:

There are a lot of manufacturers who avoid this forum at all costs. 

For the small amount of potential sales, it's not worth the aggravation. The market for companies like Kessler, Mountain Slope, SG, etc. are mostly racers who don't participate in this forum unless they're looking to unload equipment.

I'm guessing that Jennifer and Hansruedi (Mountain Slope owners) are re-evaluating their participation here. 

That is too bad. Just as you did with Apex Sport, manufacturers can provide information that we can spend pages guessing about.

It is also very understandable with bizarre threads like this. Fortunately I expect those of us here that would buy from those companies will find them anyway. It is not that hard to know every company considering how few gear options we have.

This thread reminds about the heartbreak of undiagnosed CWS:eek: (Carver's Withdrawal Syndrome). Seems to be a pattern that emerges here every spring.:freak3: Everyone should take their medication as the season winds down:cool:─buy something new for next season!:biggthump

I want a pair of those yellow boots, I think they just might be the ones! Oh, and that new board I just demoed, and maybe a plate─just thinking about carving on that rough ice last week makes my knees hurt!

Back to the subject at hand. Does anyone know how much forward slope is built into the sole of Mountain Slope boots?

15 minutes ago, Aracan said:

The originals had about 8.5 degrees, see here:

Thanks Aracan. I guess that's similar to the UPZ's.

Reading that article reminded me of another thing I heard from racers who loved Northwaves about how the location of the ankle joint of the boot was in a more natural position.

22 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

Thanks Aracan. I guess that's similar to the UPZ's.

Reading that article reminded me of another thing I heard from racers who loved Northwaves about how the location of the ankle joint of the boot was in a more natural position.

I don't think so, in reading that thread it seems Deeluxe/Raichle is somewhere over 10, and I know the UPZs are even steeper.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I don't think so, in reading that thread it seems Deeluxe/Raichle is somewhere over 10, and I know the UPZs are even steeper.

I think mountain slope has less than UPZ. I don't have to have that much toe lift on the binding. .951 also has wide range of lean that you can adjust to so that helps too.

An Ibex/Burton, F-2/R-A, or (yikes) Snow-pro all let a boot "roll" against it's elastic soles ( hint, Dachstien V-5's Don't Do This! ). When CATEK and BOMBER 1st did all-metal bindings with almost No Slop 2 decades + ago, you could really Feel the Restriction in lateral play. Now, at that time, CATEK used lil' grooves to seat the toe/heel bits, so there was No Way to 'soften' that lateral play ( er, LACK OF PLAY! ) other than thin rubber placed on top of the toe/heel blocks, which could make a secure latch fit pretty "iffy". I recall K. Burnham coming completely out of early CATEK's (on an early 3-hole PJ-7) in the bumps because of the bits of rubber he'd added to 'cush' those V-5's...KTB and I had been toying for 2-3 seasons with articulated under plates (Burnham broke all the protos: not a surprise, really) that let boot/bindings have some lateral flex. That was '94-ish. FF To '98, and I am at Stratton, using Bombers TD-1's on a Madd, sometimes on a Ride Kildy or R/A Soul. I come up with taking SPS's (recall G&S boards?) pivot-under idea, but w/no actual pivot axle: instead, I put bits of different density urethane under the toe/heel blocks, with the strip between the bolts being rather hard (this showed up under Nidecker's LDS series of soft bindings a few years later, riser inclusive!), and the 'thane outboard of the bolts being a few durometer points softer. I now had Secure, but Plush TD-1's! Oh, and these also had the rubber band heel loop holders, which became springs in the TD-2's . See,  it's dangerous to tell Fin things in the liftline without a Lawyer present...

43 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Is there a reason why we are forced to this with most boots at all...   I try like hell to get to zero on my front foot...   i kinda liked the old raichle 5 position lever so i could lock it in at close to  zero......its why you have toe lift...   I fight to get ride of it..  its not a ski...

I belong to the Beckman penny and nickel binding shim club camp!

So if you look at my post back on pg1 of this rambling wreck of a thread.

You will see the bsl boot outline.  Now BSL length is important to us hardbooters due to angles, board width, yadayada.

"So the sly bootmaker thinks, "Well I'll just tuck that heel under the actual heel of the foot and gain myself several cms in BSL!"  He's both sly and crafty that one!  But to do that he needs to Keep the stiffness of the boot sole intact so he can't afford to lose material so he just raises the heel space to ensure there's enough stiffness through the sole. This is obvious with the "lower" ramp angles of Northwave vs higher ramp angle of the DeeLuxe and even higher (especially in the shorter lengths) of the UPZ.  Also the accomodations made for Intec/Fintec heels of the DeeLuxe and the UPZs further add to the ramp.

I would note that if you watch the World Cup athletes using their Northwaves you'll see that they use two F2 blocks stacked in back (at minimum) to accomodate for the loss of ramp angle.

I think most folk here at BOL appreciate the ramp angle on their rear foot and battle to center the knee by offsetting ramp angle on their front foot.  The only true flat is softboots and you only need to look as far as the DIY print your own riser thread to see how that's working out.

Edited by lonbordin
shim to win

15 hours ago, nextcarve said:

I don't see Full Tilt as an alternative. They're just Deeluxe 425 with ski boot soles: same shell, wrong heels -> no advantage for snowboarders here.

Fairly certain the FT uses the original Raichle Flexon internal mold, and that appears to be narrower throughout than the SB/Track mold. For giggles I dug out my old pair of second generation Flexon Comps from 1980-whenever, and they are almost as narrow as my Lange WC150, albeit with a less distinct ankle pocket.

As to the advantage, that depends on the rider, and what they want/expect from their gear.

2 hours ago, lonbordin said:

I think most folk here at BOL appreciate the ramp angle on their rear foot and battle to center the knee by offsetting ramp angle on their front foot.

Generally helps to have more in the back, than in the front. (E.g., 5.3f, 7.7r.) Problem is that with the ramp being part of the shell, rather than a removable/tunable part as in most quality ski boots, it's really difficult to get exactly what you need on both feet. So then you have to use extra toe lift, which then requires advancing the forward lean, which then affects available cuff flex, and so forth.

Many argue that ski boots are no good for hardbooting. Most ski boots aren't good for skiing either, until you modify them for the user and actual application.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

So then you have to use extra toe lift, which then requires advancing the forward lean

I wouldn't say requires.  But yeah, would be nice if the ramp angle in these boots was less, and adjustable via removable thingamabobs.  There's really no need for UPZ and MS to cram the heel of the boot so far under the rider's heel, it's not reducing boot-out.  But in MS's case they would have a marketing problem because then it wouldn't be a .950 clone.

38 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

I wouldn't say requires.

True. Those with chicken legs can just tape a worn-out Intuition liner to the back of their lower leg as a DIY calf implant. 

And photos indicate that some prefer to ride with a locked out front leg, so there's that.

• Like 1

With my UPZs I had to switch from a 3 to a 6 degree toe lift to get my knee where I want it.  No change in boot forward lean required, and my legs are not poultrific.  Not sure why anyone would do that anyway, it would counteract the toe lift.

On 3/22/2018 at 11:00 AM, Buell said:

That is too bad. Just as you did with Apex Sport, manufacturers can provide information that we can spend pages guessing about.

It is also very understandable with bizarre threads like this. Fortunately I expect those of us here that would buy from those companies will find them anyway. It is not that hard to know every company considering how few gear options we have.

When I was running Apex Sport, I avoided this forum. Now that I've left the company, I'm back here so I can bash manufacturers without reservation. I have my shots already loaded:

• "Why so expensive? There must be $10 worth of materials in there."
  • "I can tell you that thing won't work. No I've never ridden it. Why does that matter?"
  • "Judging by the photos, I can see that it deminophies the torpinonal flangency by 12.4%"
  • "You big corporations should stay out of our sport. (actual comment)"
  • "How dare you try to make a profit!"
  • "Euro-trash!"
  • "Canuck-trash!"
Edited by skategoat
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, skategoat said:

When I was running Apex Sport, I avoided this forum. Now that I've left the company, I'm back here so I can bash manufacturers without reservation. I have my shots already loaded:

• "Why so expensive? There must be $10 worth of materials in there."
  • "I can tell you that thing won't work. No I've never ridden it. Why does that matter?"
  • "Judging by the photos, I can see that it deminophies the torpinonal flangency by 12.4%"
  • "You big corporations should stay out of our sport. (actual comment)"
  • "How dare you try to make a profit!"
  • "Euro-trash!"
  • "Canuck-trash!"

This is funny but sad at the same time. Especially in the sport as small as ours. Comstructive criticism is healthy for manufactures to grow but not without riding it.