Note to New Members ×

Mountain Slope new website

MountainSlope

2 hours ago, skategoat said:

When I was running Apex Sport, I avoided this forum. Now that I've left the company, I'm back here so I can bash manufacturers without reservation. 

This annoys me too, but I'm not sure how to fix it. We can't just delete anything negative and pretend that all products are perfect though. Any personal attacks or name calling are deleted, but some are able to dance right on the line of what's acceptable. 

It is a vocal minority that causes most of the negativity. For the most part everyone that's been here for a while knows who those people are, and we can discount their post as being overly bitter. But, for someone new finding a thread with some info and some attacks, it's hard to know what's what. 

So, thoughts on how this could become a welcoming place for the manufacturers without just becoming a shill to peddle their wares? i.e. I still want people to be able to voice concerns, but not be jerks about it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corey said:

This annoys me too, but I'm not sure how to fix it. We can't just delete anything negative and pretend that all products are perfect though. Any personal attacks or name calling are deleted, but some are able to dance right on the line of what's acceptable. 

It is a vocal minority that causes most of the negativity. For the most part everyone that's been here for a while knows who those people are, and we can discount their post as being overly bitter. But, for someone new finding a thread with some info and some attacks, it's hard to know what's what. 

So, thoughts on how this could become a welcoming place for the manufacturers without just becoming a shill to peddle their wares? i.e. I still want people to be able to voice concerns, but not be jerks about it. 

I'm not really sure that you can (or should) manage this any differently than you have.  The community has certain _well_defined_ guidelines about unacceptable posts and you hold them to that standard.  Some people are jerks unfortunately, and will dance that line like Travolta, but without moderating according to well defined and impartial rules that define what is allowed and what isn't allowed, chaos is likely to ensue.  People have to take responsibility for themselves to weed out the hearsay, opinions, and general dickery from facts and useful information.  However... a company posting info about themselves in the forum is nearly like free advertising.  Maybe there should be a locked forum for company announcements?  Companies can post announcements there (for a price, ie advertising) and nobody can comment on the thread.  Then that "premium" can go to maintaining our hosting fees?

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a "Vendor Announcements" forum specifically for this kind of stuff, and announcements (read: advertisements) like "new website for xxxx company" were generally frowned when posted in a general forum? Or is that just every other forum on the internet I'm getting this confused with?

I'm pleased this thread is here, because it's about yellow plastic boots which I'm interested in. Without stuff like this, we'd be a bunch of mostly old white blokes talking about how great things used to be.

I think that's correct that there are some people who find the social side of the internet a continuing challenge. I'm not sure what the best way to deal with that is, although the moderators generally sort it out. I suppose that will always be an issue.

I think the basic problem here is that we're here because of the kindness of "Bomber". There's a tension there immediately, which many of us self-censor over all the time, more or less successfully. Bomber is both a retailer and a manufacturer, which means there are two areas into which one doesn't wish to go too far. It's a balance which has worked for quite a while, so perhaps it doesn't need any specific changes.

I have some business interest in snow sports... if I felt a conflict of interest then I'd declare explicitly what the interest is. I won't start threads promoting my interest - that would require the purchase of an advert. I would imagine that retailers/ manufacturers would be very wear of posting here, just because they will have the same concerns I do. In this specific case, it seems to me that we all have an interest in yellow plastic boots, and it's not an interest which is in conflict with Bomber.   

I would hope that in time the yellow boot people would talk to Bomber (when it gets itself back together) and maybe do some business. Win-win-win (Bomber, yellow boot people, us).

• Like 1

On 24.3.2018 at 11:07 PM, philw said:

I would hope that in time the yellow boot people would talk to Bomber (when it gets itself back together) and maybe do some business. Win-win-win (Bomber, yellow boot people, us).

Hi there! I made this account long before the start of making yellow boots and once we started, I did talk to bomber (on more than one occassion here in forum and on the telephone) 

At one point I did ask if I could post in the manufacturer area, where the reply was a pretty stern NO.

I personally didn't want to make a new account here just for "the company" as I have always enjoyed writing here as me.

Apologies to others who don't agree.

And many thanks to the many kind comments.

Greetings Jennifer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Bricky said:

Very interesting, but I won't buy these boots in that ugly yellowish color. Just want to buy Black boots. Let me know when you are offering them in Black. 

Bricky

No company should make it a goal to please everyone, especially if you want to be the best.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 6:51 PM, Puhutes said:

Hi there! I made this account long before the start of making yellow boots and once we started, I did talk to bomber (on more than one occassion here in forum and on the telephone) 

At one point I did ask if I could post in the manufacturer area, where the reply was a pretty stern NO.

I personally didn't want to make a new account here just for "the company" as I have always enjoyed writing here as me.

Apologies to others who don't agree.

And many thanks to the many kind comments.

Greetings Jennifer

Jennifer, I think I speak for many people when I say we are thrilled to have you here and that the boots look spectacular.  It is truly remarkable that MS was able to resurrect the legendary .950.  I hope to try them someday in the not so distant future.  Congratulations on your widespread adoption in the racing community.  I can't speak for past decisions here but IIRC I think vendor accounts previously required a fee.

• Like 9