Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries, 2021/22

BlueB

• BlueB changed the title to Vancouver Carvers' Diaries, 2021/22
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Snow line was way below the view point, this morning! Only bunny hill open right now, but it will get cold as of tonight, they will be able to fire all those new cannons they brag about 🙂

I'm just sitting an the lodge, waiting for Luka to finish the coaches orientation at the ski club... 

Edited by BlueB

Conditions getting better... Still a lot more snow needed. 

Lots of people thought it would be pow day... not so much. 

I was running the on snow orientation for few new instructors. Patrick joined us for a run. We pretended he was "missing", for out missing student drill 🙂 Thanks bud! 

Very nice evening at Cypress! 

High quality snow- very packed powder, grippy and fast. Of course, bumped up at steeper runs, but still nice. Not too bad crowd at 5pm, but got busier, later on. Still, nothing like what we experienced last year. 

Toy: AMT 169/24 

Edited by BlueB

Deep chowder day and lots of people! Lions chair started at about 10:45 only. Most of the steep runs still not officially open. Got stuck at deep flat spots twice, at Hose Side and at Gibsons... 

Tony and Patrick have been spotted. 

Toy: 4807. Tanker would have been better, I think... 

Edited by BlueB

We had hero groom, yesterday morning. Patrick and I went crazy for few runs until the crowd started to show up and spoil the runs. Later we found Tony too, carving on his new jibbing board 🤣 

My toy: WCRM 173, Patrick: K168, Tony... does that thing even have a name? Killjoy? Killroy? Poor Roy... 

There was some good 10 cm of powder yesterday. I kept riding up to the chair for the first 4 runs and had maybe 5 or 6 before 10 AM.

I decided to experiment with Dalbello ski boots on the Spectre and clearly picked the wrong day. I thought it sucked having no progressive forward flex.

On what was supposed to be the last run of the day down First Sun, this stupid experiment ultimately ended in disaster when the nose hit a ditch. I went over the handlebars, twisting my ankle. I hiked down the rest of the run, went up the chair and asked patrol for ride down. I saw George at the top and said hi.

There goes the rest of the season.

Was up at Cypress on Sunday, and the mountain had nearly nobody there! I'm guessing the roads or the cold scared everyone off. The main parking lot wasn't even filled. The snow was incredible for carving, and it was clear most of the day. Got pretty cold as I pushed into the night.

Board: 165cm Coiler AM VSR. Some minor changes in my rear foot canting made a massive difference in my carving, and relieved me of leg strain while still letting me get pretty low. Spent most of the day riding with other staff off their shifts.

Still haven't ran into @BlueB yet... or any other hardbooter. I'll likely be up again next weekend.

4 hours ago, Jarcode said:

Was up at Cypress on Sunday, and the mountain had nearly nobody there! I'm guessing the roads or the cold scared everyone off. The main parking lot wasn't even filled. The snow was incredible for carving, and it was clear most of the day. Got pretty cold as I pushed into the night.

Board: 165cm Coiler AM VSR. Some minor changes in my rear foot canting made a massive difference in my carving, and relieved me of leg strain while still letting me get pretty low. Spent most of the day riding with other staff off their shifts.

Still haven't ran into @BlueB yet... or any other hardbooter. I'll likely be up again next weekend.

Hey, are you on our staff? 

Yeah... BlueB will be riding waves until the 4th. Looking forward to meet you soon. 

5 hours ago, charliechocolate said:

Do you wear Deeluxe Track 700s? I might have seen you around.

Yes I do! Was wearing all yellow yesterday.

2 hours ago, BlueB said:

Hey, are you on our staff? 

Nope! I just know some. Apparently you're the designated hardboot "guru" around here.

On 12/25/2021 at 11:51 PM, BlueB said:

Ouch! Have you had it checked? I hope you recover soon... 

Thanks. Doc says it could be a grade 2 sprain at worst. I'm waiting for an x-ray appointment.

17 minutes ago, Jarcode said:

Yes I do! Was wearing all yellow yesterday.

I saw you gearing up at the lot behind your truck and I thought "that's a nice Coiler."

Friday was great. Clear skies all day, only moderately cold, and very firm and fast snow. Went from opening to 7:30, and my legs weren't even cramping at the end.

I'm tempted to bring up my ancient GS board for the first few runs, as I have some spare burton race plates and canting disks. The groomers were so fast that I think I was pushing the 165cm all-mountain board to its limits (apparently "XT" on the sidewall means "extra tight sidecut"). Although, it could just be my technique too... I'm finding positioning my weight over this shorter board is more of a delicate balance.

One of my goals next season will probably be finding some metal board in between the two. Maybe @BlueB can help with pointing me in the right direction.

I'll probably be up on the 8th or 9th again.

Sounds like great conditions! Looking forward to come back. 

Yes, you've got the right idea for the new board. A metal 170+ with 12+ average scr is probably ideal for good snow/crowd conditions at Cypress. 

Will be up at Cypress on Sunday. I'm hoping to have the 177cm WCRM I bought shipped before then, but it probably fell into some black hole in the sorting facility here.

Still trying to resist the urge to pull the old GS board off my wall. Bruce told me I was insane to ride it...

Edited by Jarcode

I was there yesterday pm... Almost straight of the plane 🙂

Snow was awesome, but due to instructor session, we spent the pm hopping and spinning down the Panorama. Loooots of people. 

Going again tonight.