Note to New Members ×

Mountain Slope new website

MountainSlope

2 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

So the moderator seemed fit to remove my defense of myself but yet left the Mountain Slope dialogue up!!  What a crock...  Put that crack pipe down!  We don't all live in the "Yellow Submarine"   Do we need a safe place for manufactures to go when their product gets critiqued?  If you like them fine,, that's ok we all like different stuff,,  I just see through the smoke and called it... funny how people showed up all of a sudden that just got on Bomber? Interesting...  I just questioned the price and the claim that it is new and its clearly not...

Shred man... ease off the gas pedal.  I think you may be forgetting that the goal was to recreate a much sought-after boot for which the original molds disappeared - NOT to make a "new" boot. And they actually pulled it off!  It would be like someone actually duplicating an original Madd.  They had to build brand new molds, which I've heard are crazy expensive - something like $25k per size!  They have to recoup that, from a tiny market.  I think the boots look great.  I love my UPZs but they aren't any more modern at all, and neither is almost any ski boot really.  Original Northwave .950s were going for $3k to $5k on eBay.  If it's not broke don't fix it!  I agree about the liner though.  All premium boots should either come with no liner for a lower price, or an Intuition liner - heck, my kids' Full Tilts do!

Anyway I think you should cut them some slack.  They did a great thing in our minuscule, insignificant world here.  Let's not crap on it.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Odd how some will pay a lot of money for a custom board with all the trendy doodads and graphics, add the latest clamps and an isolation plate, then refuse to put the same effort/resource into the footwear, when the latter has the potential to make the greater difference, and then some. 

I use shintronics, booster straps, installed bts dgss and other acronymed spring system, installed stiffer tongues, step in heels, one cuff stiffer than the other, put stickers of naked girls with big boobs on them. but these are my boots. They're pretty awesome

moccasins-001-1200x650-1024x555.jpg

18 hours ago, GeoffV said:

Once they come out with Intec type design I'll be very interested.

They won't be intec compatible. So you better be ready to shell out for totally new bindings or at the very least, heel and toe bails. $chaching$

24 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

^Sweet kicks.

Prima facie evidence that you (or someone) is doing it wrong.

I slip them between the top of my foot and the boot. RIght under that nice beaded pattern. Prevents heel lift, if you didn't know.

The booster I run over the forefoot and back around my ankle. Heel lift, goodbye!

Edited by daveo

1 hour ago, Beckmann AG said:

Right, and yet there can be a significant difference between 'better', and 'best'.  I'd assume the Deelicks worked a lot better than your Megaflex on Variplates on PJ?

The UPZ may well be your Ne plus ultra, but you won't know until you rule out other, as yet untested options. Would be a shame if actual nirvana was blocked by your need/want for step in convenience.

I ride in a state of Nirvana every day that I can get an edge in.  To the point that I don't care if there is a 1% difference in performance between a step-in boot and a standard, I will take the convenience.  There's no way the difference between step-in and standard boots is as great as Deeluxe to Megaflex.

1 minute ago, Aracan said:

I have never used Intec, but judging from those around me who did, it seemed more of a hassle to make sure the pins were engaged than just closing the bail.

I've used both and will never go back to traditional bindings.  Most people who have used both agree with me.

18 minutes ago, Aracan said:

I know two who went the other way, because their riding improved.

I don't get this argument.  Whenever I try standard bindings, I size them the way I think is proper - such that it takes some effort to open and close them.  And then, they perform the same and are just as stiff as step-ins.  Video has been shared here in the past of EC-types opening and closing their bindings with one finger, which to me seems like inviting disaster, and a klugey way to achieve a certain feel.

1 minute ago, Jack Michaud said:

I size them the way I think is proper - such that it takes some effort to open and close them.  And then, they perform the same and are just as stiff as step-ins.

Nah. I ride both at once and no matter how tight I do the front binding (regular bail), it's never as stiff as the rear (Intec)

• Like 3

IMHO: economic 101: Let free market does it's thing.

We all seem post that the original NW boots cost over $3,000 on ebay/classified due to supply and demand.
When the price is high enough; it become tolerable for the entrepreneur spirited to take risk on the niche venture.
Good on the mountain slope team for their vision and execution on bring something back from extinction(MK is another example);
great for us carver.  I for one welcome choices.  Vote with your wallet.
When I do enough mental gymnastic where it become economically feasible and I can justify it I will be in the market for a pair.
Call me sheeple; but I like to form my own opinion(hence I have head,upz and deluxe boot). 
I am that kid have to touch the hot stove to learn ;-)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aracan said:

If you set bail bindings up so that the boot heel is held as rigidly (laterally) as in an Intec heelpiece, you must have very impressive arm muscles.

Shrug.  The way I like it, it's a two-handed operation.  (and get your mind out of the gutter!)  The performance feels the same to me.

It's a thread drift, but... I found the Intec heels definitely stiffer and my feet don't have any issues with any of the boots I've used. For me the issue isn't really "convenience" - I clip in at the top and out at the bottom, that's it, no big deal. It's that rigid (ish) connection which I liked when I switched to it.

However most racers use traditional clips. Excluding those on MS or NorthWaves, it's a clear effect. Any people with actual recent race experience care to comment why that is?  

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I've used both and will never go back to traditional bindings.  Most people who have used both agree with me.

I went back, AMAA. ;-)  

My primary reason is my step-ins almost left me high and dry due to parts failure, twice on trips.  That's a risk I wasn't willing to live with...   

Bending over is yoga and only takes seconds longer.  I'm pretty happy with my choice at this point.  I need all the exercise I can get at this point in life.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I went from step-ins (intec) back to standard, because of more convenience (for me) and simplicity. Mostly I'm also faster clipping in than my friends using intecs.

Christian

Having a new boot to choose from *at any price* is an absolutely excellent development for our tiny-ass sport because our choices are extremely limited when it comes to boots. If you don’t like them: don’t buy them! Why on earth would you whine and complain about having MORE options????

Before Mountain slope came around you had literally *two* alpine specific boot brands to choose from (excluding sub-models) that you can buy new (i think heads are no longer made no?). Now you have three, a 50% increase in options. Yes: they are expensive, but they’re a lot less expensive than “vintage” .950s that were selling for literally multiple thousands of dollars. Yes: they may be out of reach for some people’s finances: then these people still have the same options they did before (as well as a new boot soon to appear in the used market for less).

I can hardly see any point in whining about any of this. It all just seems like pointless complaining for complaint’s sake.  

If you want to see a new boot on the market at what you consider a reasonable price: lets see you make that happen, I wish you much luck.

We should be encouraging people to invest in our sport, not complaining when they do.

Edited by queequeg
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, queequeg said:

Why on earth would you whine and complain about having MORE options????

Next time my wife sends me to the grocery store to "just buy toothpaste" and standing there, confronted by the bewildering array of options, I'm reduced to a quivering mess, I will think of you. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

Shrug.  The way I like it, it's a two-handed operation.  (and get your mind out of the gutter!)  The performance feels the same to me.

I found that if I made my bails two-hand tight, it actually deformed the sole of my boot. I can feel it bulging up in the middle of my foot.

@philw, the racers I talked to do not want a completely rigid boot/binding interface. They like the flex characteristics of the standard F2. That's why even the CNC F2 bindings haven't caught on and that's why nobody runs Intecs. I know Jasey ran Intec equipped Cateks for a while in the mid-2000s, but other than that, I don't know of any others.

BTW, I missed all the drama. What the hell happened? 

• Like 1