Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

12 hours ago, RoroSnow said:

@kipstar, would you mind expanding that a bit and share some info if you've got some about it ?......

I know some fairly high level instructors in Hokkaido and they are very familar with the technique progression of skiing (and also snowboarding albeit softboots) in NZ, USA, Japan, Korea - they mentioned that the 'gold standard' of how to ski is quite different in each place, a lot to do with the snow condition.

I remember it was something along these lines (according to my memory back then when I drank beer so I might recall incorrectly)

NZ is probably the least consistent snow and terrain with high variability and complete white out and rain regularly, so not much tension in the body, very agile and adaptable; lowish hands held quite close to the hips, USA similar ot nz but much better groom and better snow generally so also fairly relaxed but maybe a little different riding as conditions tend to be a little more favourable.  Japan and Korea much more 'precise' in body position (very noticeable in Japan where many many ppl ski or snowboard all the same with precision technique); more focus on the little things which are repeated; hence probably the vastly greater number of decent carving skiers and snowboarders; however Japanese ski with a lot of focus on improvement technically vs what I ever saw in NZ; they have a lot of technical contests a format I cannot recall ever seeing in USA or in NZ either; where you are judged on the quality of your technique (both in snowboard and ski); Korea similar but the body position in korea the hands are even further apart, higher and more forward.  Personal guess - snow condition with very firm manmade.  So it seems a little more stiff than USA or NZ, but also maybe because so many more ppl in Japan and Korea are into carving than what I saw in NZ especially where many are more freestyle etc.  Been a while since I last rode in USA.  This is what u see all the time in Japan, I don't see like this in NZ so much.spacer.png

Edited by kipstar
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, west carven said:

this kid gets low ... 

must be a custom Eliminator. 😉 or the backpack of books to help with keeping upper body quiet while turning. books shift, bad. books stable, good. interesting. sure makes it look good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 3:58 PM, dhamann said:

must be a custom Eliminator. 

Rabanser SBX.

Rabanser has released quite a few interesting carving boards both alpine and softboot.

He is now also tinkering with radial woodcore :

https://www.facebook.com/georg.rabanser/posts/pfbid026vYX4JbYaRQrdj92c5Qsz8qn7snAwiRvvWKeHNmSzxDv82aL3vNWatfwBCXQL23dl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...