Note to New Members ×

On the very best groom, my Carving set up is...

softbootsurfer

It would be fun to know what your favorite set up is, what your height and weight are, when the Groom is Perfect, of course there are quivers for some, but what is the #1 set up...Thanks

6Ft.  155 lbs. 20.5 inch stance width, 45F 45B angles on a 163 B Land Lord no cants or plates, set back from center 1.5 inches, with weird 3 strap homemade SB bindings...

5-10 1/4,~two fiddy, depending on previous nights beer and pizza consumption, big boned bhudda bellied eastern European.  195 virus sparten evo supercarver, 20 1/2" stance, centered on inserts, 70 degrees  with 6 degree up front, 63 back with 3 degree a touch of outward cant on both. TD3si with blue elastomers, goofy as all hell. When conditions are right and I am on, there is no feeling  like it. Scary when my shit aint together.  Somewhat comedic as well

Edited by big mario
extra info from the department of redundancy department needed to be excised
  • Like 2

Coiler Extreme Carve 175, Bomber TD3 sidewinder step-ins, UPZ RC10 boots. An amazingly versatile board, despite its name. 

I go down in board length/sidecut radius if runs are narrow or aren't steep. 

Bindings have 6-degree toe/heel lifts and angled for zero overhang for whatever width of board. 19.75" stance width. 

I'm 5'11", 32" inseam. 

• Like 1

190 lbs, 6 ft, regular

Donek 180 Proteus stock dimensions, TD3 with blue elastomers, 20.5" stance width centered on the inserts.

Front foot 6 degree cant set at 70 degrees with binding angle set to 57 degrees

Back foot 6 degree cant set at 60 degrees with binding angle set to 53 degrees

image.jpeg

This pic is old, showing the board with different bindings.

Edited by workshop7

I am officially freaked out.

On both boards my stance is..... you guessed it: 20.5".

What is this magic number?  What does it mean?!?

aliens.jpg

Oh yeah, setup: 65/60 on a 19"  waist board.    Regular (as it should be mario) with 3 deg up front and 6 in the back.  Works so far but open to modifications.

5' 11", 155 lbs, Prior FLC 177, Deeluxe 700 with BTS (blue springs), TD3 bindings, regular stance at +/-20 inch wide and centered, 55 degree rear binding angle, 68 degree front binding angle, three degree front binding toe lift, three degree rear binding heal lift, no cant.

12 hours ago, erazz said:

I am officially freaked out.

On both boards my stance is..... you guessed it: 20.5".

What is this magic number?  What does it mean?!?

Oh yeah, setup: 65/60 on a 19"  waist board.    Regular (as it should be mario) with 3 deg up front and 6 in the back.  Works so far but open to modifications.

I too ride a 20.5 stance.  I am only 6' tall but have a very long inseam length.

Coiler NSR 180, Boiler plate, F2 Ti's.  Same board for every condition and I do no change riding style on conditions.

When the groom is perfect I am on my Virus Berserker 183. I am 5'8" and depending upon the cheezeburger factor, anywhere from ~180lbs to ~215 lbs. I like a wider stance too: I'm at about 19.5" or so currently on the berserker — about as wide as it goes I think.

If the snow is super firm I'll be on Virus 183 Evo (which is a magic board that I have had forever), as it is particularly excellent on the icy stuff. On this board my stance is 20.5 with lower angles.

UPZs with the stiff grey tongues, and Virus powerlock bindings with flat rear foot and toe lift in the front.

Edited by queequeg

I'm 5ft 7", 175lb. Up until this winter it was my 182 SG Pro, 20" stance (yes I know that's wide for me, but it works), 52/40 regular stance. Burton race plates, Head Stratos Pro boots. 

That board is no more, now I have these three bad boys to choose from (only ridden the 171 so far, 180 & 162 to try)...a slalom skateboarder at heart, I love those whippy dynamic 'leave-the-ground' porpoise carves, so the F2-shod Kessler 162 may be the one... We shall see. 

IMG_2446.JPG

Edited by Emdee406
Omission
  • Like 1

5' 11", 155 lbs, 182 Coiler Monster with TD2s at 55 and 50 degrees. 3 degrees of toe/heel lift, set up as pure lift. I should probably switch to some flexier F2 bindings, just haven't gotten around to it. Stance width at 20 1/4". 

Edited by Dan

The thing is... everything is super fun on great groom ::)

Anyways, last couple of years I really liked the OES Sputnik 178 Carbon. It's 18 wide, high camber, long effective edge, stiff, and something like 10-14 VSR... 

I ride it with Dalbello CarveX boots, Snowpro bindings at about 65/60, just under 20" stance, 3mm toe lift, 6mm heel lift. 

I'm 6', 180+ lbs. 

If it's fairly soft, my Tanker 200, set at 21" and with my stance (hardbootin' it) 45* F, 39*R, usually using Drake plates with a rear heel-lift and slight canting, the front just flat. If it's , a normally 'firm' day then I'll drop down to the 182 Tanker. If it's a Chalk day, then the Madds 168 BX comes out.  All of those boards can be ridden with plates or in softies. Only the Madds hasn't been in double-diamond woods yet. I guess I just love going 'where-ever' too much to ride 'skinny' boards all that often. Although, on occasion, the old Burton Alp has come back out on some of the smaller hills I frequent, like Dartmouth Skiway or Whaleback, where Tix are cheap enough to justify a few hours of early-day carving. 

Having a versatile quiver is a big plus, and while mine is 'depleted' compared to a decade or three ago, I still got 'options'!

I think I'm 1.75, 62Kgs.

Piste:

• Kessler SL 156
  • About 45° parallel (same for powder)
  • Depending on boots, anything from flat through 3° toe-lift front, 3° heel lift back using standard F2 shims.
  • Zero cant.
  • Stance width: board dependent, but for the Kessler it's 46cm. 18 of your imperial units.
    I start with the marked reference stance and narrow it if it feels too "cowboy", which sometimes happens on powder boards.

Set-back: I've never shifted from the reference centre on a piste board, and almost never on a powder board. Powder boards usually include set back in the reference (because they're tapered so would not really work if you ride them truly centred). I know of two exceptions, which were "twin tip" powder boards. Really they're piste boards for people who can't ride switch. To ride these in powder you have to set them back.

Matrix 157 slalom. Love the deck. Stiff rocket ship that is punishing if I am lazy or do something stupid.

The Cinderella glass slipper is a Kessler kst 171. But since we are exploring perfect groom, a wood core board with carbon fiber and other goodies is my continued favorite. And I can't afford a frivolous deck at this time. I have to live vicariously through emdee. Serious drool factor there. 

In fulltilts, with a cut for flex rear boot I ride 60/55 on 19cm waist width boards. And with my beat to death raichles it's 60/45 ish. I prefer the stiffer overall set up. When the body moves fluidly with the gear it is amazing and fun. Not the stiffest set up out there, but I am imperfect. 5'7" somewhere around 154 at this moment. Drop through the season.

And hoping a new to me SG pro team 180 will become another favorite ride. It's the first board I have ever touched that has screamed at me to do more squats.

• Like 2

Place: Captain's Basin @ Cardrona in Central Otago, NZ, It's 9am and the run has just been opened by ski patrol, midweek, mid-August.

Board: Coiler NSR 182 extended UPM inserts, Bomber 4mm BBP interaxle distance @ 69cm, fixed axle at front, TD3 Intecs.

Bindings @: 54cm (approx 0.6 X my inside leg measurement) C-to-C, 7cm from front binding centre to front axle (so it sits underneath and midway between ball of my foot and the tip of my big toe). 6 deg rear heel lift, 3 deg front toe lift, both discs set at 60 deg. Front binding plate @ 65 deg (effectively a tiny amount of outward canting), rear binding plate @ 60 deg.

Rider: 57 yrs, 182cm, 82kg, 90cm inside leg, heavily modified Head Stratos Pro boots, fixed position front with lower leg approx. vertical, BTS blue rear.

And all the tech melts away and in 2 turns we are flying.................

Edited by SunSurfer
add detail
  • Like 1