Note to New Members ×

Is Covid-19 Impacting You, Your Carving or Your Local Mtn.?

barryj

43 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

That's an interesting question. Like Sun says generally yes, but you might be thinking of chicken pox and the virus that lies dormant in nerve tissue to later cause shingles. There's a lot we don't know yet about this new virus.

Treat everyone you don't live with as a potential carrier. ...and don't touch your face! 

yes, I was thinking about chicken pox, etc. 

Since so many of you are located all around this country (USA) and the world for that matter I was wondering about your perspective on travel right now. Sister-in-law of mine is planning to fly from Colorado next week to visit her kids and mom here in Michigan. She then is planning on driving north to stay with us for a few days. My wife (her sister) thinks it would be a great idea to fly or drive back to Colorado with her for a few days, since flights are so cheap now. I have strong opinions against this trip,  but I'm curious to here your opinions.

3 hours ago, Kurt Swanson said:

My wife (her sister) thinks it would be a great idea to fly or drive back to Colorado with her for a few days, since flights are so cheap now. I have strong opinions against this trip,  but I'm curious to here your opinions.

Every person seems to lie differently on the caution spectrum: 1 being zero caution, 10 being paranoid to the extreme.

It can be difficult for an "8" to express to a "2" their actions are unnecessarily risky - especially if they are a spouse - know! 

My hope is "2's"  accept more caution (and associated loss of freedom) if not for themselves then for the physical and psychological well being of their loved ones who might be higher on the scale   ....not to mention the greater role they will play in helping all of us. 

Now's a great time to think bigger than ourselves.

• Like 5

Having just dodged a bullet myself, I would have to ask, why put yourself at risk unnecessarily?  Sue may have that choice made for her by our governor tomorrow evening with his 6:30 pm press conference.  I suspect he is going to tighten things up a bit more.  He has been pretty aggressive with his efforts to slow this down.

Mario

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

If you're thinking about delaying your mortgage payments, PLEASE watch this.  It may be a trap by Big Banks;

If you don't belong to facebook, the gist is that if you're looking for a deferral of your mortgage payment, at the end of the time period they may require you to pay all past months payments.  If you don't you may be in default.  You have to read the fine print very carefully.

Here's another take without facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/virginialawoffice/videos/241821810305247/

Edited by bumpyride

8 hours ago, bumpyride said:

at the end of the time period they may require you to pay all past months payments.

Simple to fix, you just have to think like the bank leaders: just sell one of your yachts. 

Tough times call for tough choices! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kurt Swanson said:

Since so many of you are located all around this country (USA) and the world for that matter I was wondering about your perspective on travel right now. Sister-in-law of mine is planning to fly from Colorado next week to visit her kids and mom here in Michigan. She then is planning on driving north to stay with us for a few days. My wife (her sister) thinks it would be a great idea to fly or drive back to Colorado with her for a few days, since flights are so cheap now. I have strong opinions against this trip,  but I'm curious to here your opinions.

i don't understand the mentality of people thinking "flights are cheap now". it is completely selfish. there are people out there making sacrifices by staying home to flatten the curve. we're not doing it to enable people to have cheap flights. really bad optics.

a friend of mine had the similar situation occur. even though there were two reported cases of the virus in his town, his wife was "oblivious to the reality that life may change for a while".  he was frustrated that wife's friend was traveling to their town and his wife wanted her to come and stay in their house. when he suggested that it wasn't a good idea she became irritated. in the end the friend stayed at a hotel nearby and his wife met her at an open space.

if it is really important for wife and sister-n-law to have family communication, then get a web cam and setup video sessions. my wife's college friends have been doing this to cope with stay-at-home. my company now hosts online happy hours every friday at 4 PM CST. we turn on our webcams and one of us does a power point presentation of their alcoholic beverage of choice while everyone gets drunk.

if you need compelling argument stay-at-home then there's this story... 
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/health/new-jersey-coronavirus-family-members-killed/index.html

if the sister-n-law shows up, then at least meet in an open space...

11 hours ago, bumpyride said:

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

If you're thinking about delaying your mortgage payments, PLEASE watch this.  It may be a trap by Big Banks;

If you don't belong to facebook, the gist is that if you're looking for a deferral of your mortgage payment, at the end of the time period they may require you to pay all past months payments.  If you don't you may be in default.  You have to read the fine print very carefully.

Here's another take without facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/virginialawoffice/videos/241821810305247/

This can be true. It gets a bit murkier when your mortgage has been sold, particularly on the secondary market to an entity other than a bank or typical mortgage holder. 

From what I have seen, a number of the larger banks have said that they are allowing the payments to be added onto the end of the loan. In cases where they are not owned by a bank that has made this decision, the payments would usually need to be made within 3 months after the deferred period ends. 

12 hours ago, rjnakata said:

Every person seems to lie differently on the caution spectrum: 1 being zero caution, 10 being paranoid to the extreme.

It can be difficult for an "8" to express to a "2" their actions are unnecessarily risky - especially if they are a spouse - know! 

My hope is "2's"  accept more caution (and associated loss of freedom) if not for themselves then for the physical and psychological well being of their loved ones who might be higher on the scale   ....not to mention the greater role they will play in helping all of us. 

Now's a great time to think bigger than ourselves.

Although I'm a fairly cautious person, I realize when I do take risks they are calculated risks. But those risks typically affect only me. Due to the pandemic, I'm of the mindset now that my choices can have disastrous effects on others as well. Yes I'm an "8" talking to a "2".

My wife now says she will postpone her trip to Colorado until early May. Still probably way too soon...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kurt Swanson said:

Although I'm a fairly cautious person, I realize when I do take risks they are calculated risks. But those risks typically affect only me. Due to the pandemic, I'm of the mindset now that my choices can have disastrous effects on others as well. Yes I'm an "8" talking to a "2".

My wife now says she will postpone her trip to Colorado until early May. Still probably way too soon...

In a day or two if she were to fly she'd be quarantined in place "on" her dime, why risk it, I don't speed anywhere, why risk having a conversation with a police officer that you're going to lose, why possibly contact someone unknowingly and either spread or catch a pandemic virus, no age bracket is safe and not helping to stop the spread is actually soon going to be a criminal act, for example, Vt now warns twice if non family members gather in groups outdoors, then a 500$ fine, they closed outdoor basketball courts, that's Vermont, much less a populated state like Michigan.

This is an interesting paper on the 1918 Flu. It explains why the timing and degree of restrictions is important to overall death toll.

If enough people don't gain immunity in the first wave of infections, then the second wave could be as bad as the first. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1849868/?fbclid=IwAR2_k6K9oB5QG2CARioS230ZccDfCbeEj6fkF7ArmqvDO6sWAdnsXK-hzrY

Thanks for that BobD .  So i'm not leaving the house till there's a VACCINE . I'm going to sleep like a baby tonite.

9 hours ago, bumpyride said:

This from my Brother in Law that's working on the spread in Minnesota

Our governor, based on U of M epidemiological models predicts 40-80% of Minnesotans will get it.

If 80 %  get it you'll be boarding for sure next season. That's me being the glass half full guy !!! 

2 hours ago, lowrider said:

So i'm not leaving the house till there's a VACCINE . 

That's a big difference between now and then (1918). The potential for a vaccine might not factor into the calculations from a pandemic management point of view, but personal survival  survival strategy may differ depending on how close we are to having a vaccine.

Edited by BobD

On 4/6/2020 at 6:52 AM, Kurt Swanson said:

It's so tricky when the scales do not match.  My wife is an 8/9 and I might be a 7.  But guess whose protocols we follow?

In general the less cautious person should do what the more cautious person wants...if not for safety, then for peace!  I think it's wiser to ramp up the caution now (and potentially overdo it) than have the more cautions person ramp down.

On 4/6/2020 at 6:52 AM, Kurt Swanson said:

Although I'm a fairly cautious person, I realize when I do take risks they are calculated risks. But those risks typically affect only me. 

Do they really affect only you? (that's mostly a question for myself).  If I were to take NO risks would I really be living?

Yes!  Fitness Connection, the local gym that offers my five-per-week Silver Sneakers workouts has been closed for almost a month. 

Very long walks with my dog-chewed (really!) dumbbells are having to suffice.  Minor, I know, but I really miss  those exercise classes.

Health and safety to all!

BB