Note to New Members ×

Is Covid-19 Impacting You, Your Carving or Your Local Mtn.?

barryj

Hope everybody is staying safe considering the intensifying situation!  

I surely don't mean to make light of the situation with this being a Pandemic with people dying but life in general and being on the local ski hill up here in northern NH (were 60 miles south of the Canadian border) has not changed or been disrupted in any way noticeable as of yet.  On my  riding days last week to two destination resorts up here, Loon and Bretton Woods I didn't here any talk or concern of "corona virus" in the lodge or on the chair or gondola.   Both ski areas were busy imo for mid-week with the college spring break crowds.      All stores are well stocked and no shortage of TP or other desirable essentials.  All other businesses and schools are running regular schedules and it seems business as usual. 

In NH and VT there only 7? or so confirmed cases, so (as of yet) I don't know of anyone impacted or even remotely impacted by the virus so obviously NH is not being impacted anywhere like Italy where all non essential businesses and all ski  resorts were shut down! ............but what's happening to you, your ski areas and your neck of the woods??

maybe some marketing playing into it, with an already pre-planned earlier close date....maybe, but....https://berkshireeast.com/the-resort/blog/statement-on-covid-19

"Berkshire East will close for the season today, Thursday, March 12 at 4pm and Catamount Ski Area will not reopen this weekend. COVID-19 has been discovered in the surrounding hill towns and multiple people are being quarantined"

Edited by fishrising

31 minutes ago, lowrider said:

Lets nip this in the bud and cancel further discussion. If you want reliable information contact your local health unit or doctor. This can get political too quickly to do anyone any good. 

Agreed. Although useful to know what different mountains are doing. Didn't know until this post that my local mountain closed for season (b east) - had tickets for this weekend. 

39 minutes ago, fishrising said:

maybe some marketing playing into it, with an already pre-planned earlier close date....maybe, but....https://berkshireeast.com/the-resort/blog/statement-on-covid-19

"Berkshire East will close for the season today, Thursday, March 12 at 4pm and Catamount Ski Area will not reopen this weekend. COVID-19 has been discovered in the surrounding hill towns and multiple people are being quarantined"

No marketing at all. Great ski weather this weekend. They just called me and offered a full refund on tickets I had purchased. Really bummed. 

2 hours ago, lowrider said:

Lets nip this in the bud and cancel further discussion. If you want reliable information contact your local health unit or doctor. This can get political too quickly to do anyone any good. 

I agree there's potential for this conversation to get political...but it really shouldn't! We have a public health issue that is almost certain to become more serious in the weeks ahead, and will affect every American. If that doesn't transcend our usual political squabbling / business as usual, I don't know what does. 

Here's an extremely sobering chart showing that cases in the US were increasing at an exponential rate as of a week ago -- I don't believe we've done anything since then to change the growth trajectory:

1*sJQrjQFmY4_ll6ywp2pb1g.png

So yeah, I think we would be well advised to take precautions that seem excessive...that could be the difference between looking back 3 months from now and saying "LOL, we really went overboard" vs having a large fraction of the population infected with a 1-3% death rate. 

Maybe this conversation should move to the Lodge?

• Like 1

I got a job in the Seattle area and my start date is the end of March... 😂

Not sure how things are going to shake out exactly, but I'm expecting a lot of remote work, and may be postponing our apartment hunting trip...

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Dan said:

I got a job in the Seattle area and my start date is the end of March.

Wow Dan,  really hope your new job isn't in jeopardy!

With today's news of all the NCAA, NBA, MLS, NHL, etc...sporting events seasons being canceled It hit me how Huge the economic meltdown of lay offs and loss of work is  going to be!!   I really hope I'm wrong!

• Like 1

I just changed my sugarbush trip from weekend to weekday. They said practically noone there during weekdays. As always practicing good hygiene (washing hands regularly with soap and warm water for 20 + seconds and not touching your face etc) - is best line of defense. Aside from obviously staying away from large crowds for now or folks coughing/sneezing (Which in general is a Great Idea during flu season). Yeah nothing political about this. 

7 minutes ago, barryj said:

Wow Dan,  really hope your new job isn't in jeopardy!

Thank you, me too! That thought has crossed my mind - I gave notice at my old job, so if this offer is retracted, I'll be selling boards to make my mortgage payment 😲 My new company is tech-focused - their work and their customers' work is heavily online, so hoping things will come through as expected. I will seriously be up the creek if there is a change...

I think canceling sporting events is the right thing to do, but I totally agree there's going to be a big economic impact, both from that and from other effects of and responses to the virus. Life will go on, but I think it will be a while before we're back to normal.

Just 5 confirmed cases in NZ so far and no new cases for 6 days but no complacency where I work in NZs health service. Planning committee at our hospital meets daily.

Our hospitals are expecting to need to admit to ICU level care about 5% of confirmed cases and ventilate 1-2%. We anticipate the need to triage ventilator care, that is to select which cases receive it because the numbers potentially benefitting will exceed our ability to supply it.

NZ significantly has better leave and income support protection for workers than the USA. We have a universally available public healthcare system which is centrally organised and coordinated. As a result we anticipate NZers are more likely to self isolate when appropriate rather than turn up to work, and to seek healthcare when they do get sick knowing that they will not face prohibitive healthcare costs. Hopefully that will translate into slower community spread and overall a lower case fatality rate.

• Like 4

Got an email from aspensnowmass today regarding “a number of presumptive positive tests of” the wuhan coronavirus “COVID-19 in Aspen in the past 36 hours.”

6 hours ago, Dan said:

Not sure how things are going to shake out exactly, but I'm expecting a lot of remote work, and may be postponing our apartment hunting trip...

My son, who works in Seattle, was told today to work from home starting tomorrow and expect to do so for the next 5-6 weeks. With WebEx, Skype, VPN, etc. there is probably going to be a paradigm shift moving forward long after this hysteria is over  for a lot of computer jockeys.  I hope to be one of them!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chouinard said:

Got an email from aspensnowmass today regarding “a number of presumptive positive tests of” the wuhan coronavirus “COVID-19 in Aspen in the past 36 hours.”

My son, who works in Seattle, was told today to work from home starting tomorrow and expect to do so for the next 5-6 weeks. With WebEx, Skype, VPN, etc. there is probably going to be a paradigm shift moving forward long after this hysteria is over  for a lot of computer jockeys.  I hope to be one of them!

I am pretty sure after this all blows over we will see a whole new approach to remote working, meeting etc. Also companies  like netflix, Amazon etc will capitalize on this in a big way long term. 

20 minutes ago, Jack M said:

try to use the organization of the forums appropriately, thanks. 

hmm....Jack you post a response and then scold me for the topic?   I'm confused I thought an opportunity to discuss what were experiencing with this situation could provide us all with more knowledge and knowledge is our best weapon in this critical situation.

if your saying it's inappropriate to discuss the effects and precautions of this global situation that will be effecting all of us............than delete the post.

So - my wife booked a non-refundable hotel at Mont Tremblant for this weekend (March break for hte kids) .  So I guess we are going - don't feel like walking away from $2k (CAD, chump change for you Americans).

But do you guys take any other precautions when going out?  Should I wear a mask (not a ski mask) in line?  On the Gondola (which seems like a place, if any, where one could transmit the virus)?  We are going to avoid the big cafeteria at the top of hte mountain which is always a zoo - that's pretty easy.

Are you staying on the south side (village) or driving each day from town ? If staying off site you could reduce contact by packing lunch and driving to north side where you get to park closer to lifts and can eat from you picnic in the car. Excellent for switching gear dry mitts etc. If not too busy you can usually hog a gondola cabin for the whole family. It's a skill you have to work on whining kids who are slow to load helps keep others away. Have fun you are making family memories.

13 hours ago, Jack M said:

It’s inappropriate to post this in any forum but The Lodge. 

Jack, I don't  see how it was inappropiate as I was interested in the impact of this situation on other members local Mtn. and the resulting issues and experience...........but to call me out publicly,  that was Inappropriate............but whatever~ :argue:

Corey thanks for using your Moderator skills and discretion to move this to the appropriate forum without publicly placing judgement.

1 hour ago, Missionman said:

Should I wear a mask (not a ski mask) in line?  On the Gondola

Hey Missionman,

Not sure a mask would help as this is more about bodily contact as I understand it,  but yeah a mask would help if somebody sneezed on you I guess.....it's a tough call

Yea, even last week it felt a little disconcerting to be stuck in the gondola with a bunch of strangers  and everybody has the sniffles form the cold conditions!

When I go out next week, (if mountains up here haven't closed!) I plan to avoid the gondola and stick to the regular lifts......at least on an open chairlift your not stuck in a petri dish.       

Edited by barryj