Note to New Members ×

Is Covid-19 Impacting You, Your Carving or Your Local Mtn.?

barryj

4 hours ago, b0ardski said:

Location location location, we,re 2hr from home staying in the RV 

Keeping our social distance .

A work partner of my friend just grabbed an RV and headed to the desert. Now that's a airtight quarantine.

Edited by John Gilmour

John help me with the math on this. Easter is 18 days away. In Canada we haven't peaked yet so if it takes 14 days to be cleared of covid18 is it possible to have family together for Easter dinner? The public health message here is stay home  but people are treating it like they do with " The down hill skier has the rite of way". How's the camping going ?  Maybe the best bet for spring turns will be Beartooth pass. 

Deb (wife who puts up with me) is making masks. They will be washable.
The Virus dies at 132* F. A dryer on medium heat is 130 to 140* F. A dryer at high heat is 140 to150*F.

An Iron is a whole lot hotter:

Recommended ironing temperatures
Textile Temperature Temperature
Cotton 204 °C / 400 °F 180–220 °C
Linen (flax) 230 °C / 445 °F 215–240 °C
Viscose/Rayon 190 °C 150–180 °C
Wool 148 °C / 300 °F 160–170 °C

• Like 1

March 27th curve not flat yet but less than yesterday. Interesting interview last nite Bill Gates on CNN.  Until  curve is flat this thing won't end. After it flattens we still have minimum 14 days home alone likely closer to 3 weeks. If  effective consider us all lucky if not it's home alone again.  Got your boards sharp and waxed yet ? Update; curve up again got to stop watching this train wreck !

You also have to remember that even after we get the number of sick people down all that changes is that the risk of overflowing hospitals is reduced. You can still catch it, you can still pass it on, you can still die.

And if you read your history (look up the Spanish Flu of 1918) you'll know that this is not over. Not by far! Some experts are expecting a bad comeback this fall.

This is not going to be over this year. I would consider this over only when a vaccine is available and proven effective.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I hope this won't interfere in the next season. We should have enough controls in place by then. I am even 50% confident some mountains might open up in May (maybe 35% confident)

All I'm saying is that the risk isn't going away and if it is not managed correctly it will come back.

2 hours ago, JRAZZ said:

This is not going to be over this year. I would consider this over only when a vaccine is available and proven effective.

Absolutely agree, and the vaccine widely distributed. (This is not a cue for a vaccine vs. anti-vaxxers flame war).

Business leaders here in NZ now saying that international travel/tourism at any significant level will need the same thing, tourism being a major contributor to our GDP. Travellers will probably need evidence of immunity via a certififed antibody assay.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is going to be the new normal for some time.

The graphic in this link compares total confirmed cases vs new cases. It's a slightly different way of looking at things but can really tell is you're going away from exponential growth. In a nutshell, as long as you're on the main diagonal you are experiencing exponential growth. it's only when you drop down you are slowing the spread. Right now China, S. Korea and to some extent Japan are doing so. Everybody else is growing exponentially with no signs of slowing down.

I'm a medical device engineer by trade and a physicist by training. Married to an epidemiologist. I tend to trust the math. In my experience no amount of wishful thinking will change the reality of what we are seeing. Full on exponential growth means at the peak approx 20% of the population will be sick with 10% of that needing hospitalization (2% of 327M =~ 6.5M) according to the CDC the total amount of hospital beds in the USA is slightly less than 1M.  

Will it be that bad? I hope not, but unless we do some real social distancing it won't be far off.

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

image.png.47ae4ff30674a57dad645cff6e762a0f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion it is time for politicians to keep quiet (STFUP) and stay home. The only information people should listen to at this time is that coming from health care professionals or the CDC. Everything else is just noise ! The fact that politicians can not agree on any firm plan moving forward as a country should indicate that they don't grasp the true picture and are clouded by the life they live as politicians who speak out of both sides of their mouths. We all know they speak in have truths at the best of times they simply don.t know when to tell the truth. Let them keep the infrastructure, garbage. highways. electricity etc. running and turn this shit show over to people who deal every day in truth and reality. True science knows no politics and politicians sure as hell don't know science.  Do you really want people who can't balance a budget when time are good dolling out money like they are running an election campaign ? It's not about them it's about us and most politicians can't grasp that concept.  Congratulation USA your # 1 

• Like 1