Note to New Members ×

Is Covid-19 Impacting You, Your Carving or Your Local Mtn.?

barryj

well we won’t get   long  term immunity but unless they are releasing new strains this season we should have immunity for this season ... except of course for immunity compromised populations like HIV+ For instance .

Maine’s Camden  snow bowl in the 1980’s had a just one single person chairlift - no real lodge, no housing in site. They also had about zero snowmaking ( no aerosolsized water) you could see the grass through wavy ice. Definitely the most difficult snowboard race conditions next to glare ice and thick fog at one US open in 1992.

Let’s  not have a return to small scale mom and pop single left resorts... Haha 

Edited by John Gilmour

2 hours ago, John Gilmour said:

So practicing EXTREME QUARANTINE has been hard- but at day 4 we have made Zero mistakes . Everything entering the house is sprayed down - all Public places are visited using a mask .

I'm finding these posts strangely compelling and distressing at the same time. Like Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" without the cannibalism...

I'm normally a glass half full guy. Now I'm becoming what happens when you don't have a glass. No reference to measure what normal is in a situation like this. I'm thinking that 24 mile forestry road into Turner Mountain and the metal gate  part way up the mountain is the place to be. Wonder if the Montucky CC crew is holding a secret gathering. Too late for me I can't get across the border 

3 hours ago, lordmetroland said:

I'm finding these posts strangely compelling and distressing at the same time. Like Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" without the cannibalism...

I’ve played plenty of Fallout, Metro, and Far Cry on the XBox, so my attitude has been “bring it on”,  I’m prepared.  

Just wish that zombies were thrown in too.

• Like 1

Been inside better part of 5 days now. Went out very late to an empty lowes to buy a countertop for my 04' chevy silverado 4x4 w/ a slide in Poptop truck camper. Im still working from home which is great but I have my concerns. Rationing meals and being a general 1st time prepper with my wife and 3 dogs. Cleaned the house from top to bottom today/ all day... I bought seeds and start beds for various staple veggies on that lowes mission. Contertops go in tomorrow and with some warmer drier weather here near Golden, CO I might finish my roof repairs on the pop top. Not as nicely as I had planned but we shall see. My Kids are in OC California and their Mom was laid off almost immediately. She is hand to mouth and my daughter showed me their pantry. I'm concerned is an understatement. As soon as the truck is ready, Im considering having My 17YO daughter and 13YO son start heading this way while i head to them. Strange times indeed. Trying to keep a cool head under all the circumstances. Thinking short term and long term all the time. Helps to keep me sane... Dark times ahead but I hope for a bright future for all of us.

42 minutes ago, lowrider said:

Glad to have viewed the political joke before it vanished.

Just as a reminder to all.  Rule 4 of the Forum.  

4. Politics/Religion: Purely political or religious threads or posts are prohibited. Snowboarding threads that become political or religious will be closely monitored, and tolerated only if the discussion is relevant to snowboarding.

• Thanks 1

If you know anyone returning from spring break contact them and tell them to stay home. If you over 60 you are at risk of loosing any chance for medical care if hospital reach their peak. I'd like to see all those alpine boards back on the snow next season.

• Like 1

There seems to be a problem  convincing 20 to 30 year old's that they are the key to successfully flattening the curve . The fact that it won't kill them seems to be enough information that they continue to conduct themselves as though it's business as usual . Hope this attitude changes soon. I have a sister being released from hospital soon and a niece returning from an out of country holiday. This epidemic seems to be an epidemic of affluenza .

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lowrider said:

There seems to be a problem  convincing 20 to 30 year old's that they are the key to successfully flattening the curve . The fact that it won't kill them seems to be enough information that they continue to conduct themselves as though it's business as usual . Hope this attitude changes soon. I have a sister being released from hospital soon and a niece returning from an out of country holiday. This epidemic seems to be an epidemic of affluenza .

+1

the media needs to show videos of young people in intensive care gasping for air or intubated. there are many videos of people with mild symptoms of the disease post videos which gives a false impression that this is just a mild virus. meanwhile, people are dying.

this article scares me.

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-medical-worker-describes--terrifying-lung-failure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients

direct quote from the article

"Holy shit..."

• Like 2

image.png.e9c94771cb5fff8a8267d80401c9daf1.png

Billings Montana are getting 3D printed masks out that can be used.  They can use filter material from N95 masks (about 10 per mask) until they can get proper filter material.  The masks can be easily sanitized between patients.   Those with a 3D printer can join in.  

Protect our Healthcare Workers.

https://www.fairfieldsuntimes.com/news/national/billings-clinic-asks-d-printer-owners-to-assist-with-ppe/article_aa630554-6c8b-11ea-91df-8b4b89321192.html

Edited by bumpyride
Text

came across this website that measured the effectiveness of different materials for diy masks. they tested by bombarding different materials with  "0.02 micron Bacteriophage MS2 particles (5 times smaller than the coronavirus)".

tests results on the effectiveness of different materials

• surgical mask, 97%
  • dish-towel 2-layer, 97%
  • dish-towel 1-layer, 83%
  • t-shirt 2-layers, 71%
  • t-shirt 1-layer, 69%
  • pillow case 2-layer, 67%
  • pillow case 1-layer, 61

if surgical masks are the standard, then two dish towels are just as effective in capturing 97% of the particles.

however, breathability is more difficult and therefore they recommend t-shirts as diy materials.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

in these mad max times, something is better than nothing.

• Like 1

Original reference for DIY mask research above.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258525804_Testing_the_Efficacy_of_Homemade_Masks_Would_They_Protect_in_an_Influenza_Pandemic#pf7

Just made my own using my neoprene face protector from snowboarding plus a folded bandana inside, counting 12 layers of bandana, an air seal close to the N95 mask I practised with at work the other day and enough humidity absorption that my glasses don't fog.

NZ goes into Wuhan level lockdown nationwide in 26 hours time for initially 4 weeks. I'm sure I'll be doing some carpet carving trying some stuff out, and watching lots of carving videos. At least when I'm home resting up between whatever shifts we end up working at the hospital.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

Essential services only in Ontario after today. Looks like people can't resist the open highways lots of busy cops chasing down fast cars. This might be considered political and if so down it comes ! If NZ and Canada are looking at lengthening the lock down why would US even mention ending it in 14 days ? 

Please keep things non-political.  

Think of the forum as a Family Dinner where your really do not want to sacrifice family relationships for politics or religion.  

Stay healthy!

4. Politics/Religion: Purely political or religious threads or posts are prohibited. Snowboarding threads that become political or religious will be closely monitored, and tolerated only if the discussion is relevant to snowboarding.

• Like 2

49*north open, BYOB eat in your car, bathroom and lifts only, snowing lightly, great spring conditions, only a few  cars in the lot besides employees, plenty of distance to be had here.

Still hoping for the weekend, despite the stay at home edict from Pugetropolis.

Edited by b0ardski