Note to New Members ×

Is Covid-19 Impacting You, Your Carving or Your Local Mtn.?

barryj

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

Merged.

I am at Winter Park with my daughter for USSA Moguls Junior Nationals. They completed the singles events yesterday and today. Tomorrow was supposed to be duals, which is her better event, but the whole mountain will be shut down. A vacation to remember.

We fly home Monday. Who wants a hug?

🤗

Right now Jack, that's as close to a hug as anyone should give to someone who isn't immediate family.

Big Sky ends today.  Lots of new freshies to end the season.  Some of the best runs of the year.  

Unfortunately riding the lifts with people with snotty noses, and coughing and hacking, can all of a sudden be terrifying for some of the older crew.

I'm staying in Big Sky till this blows over--maybe longer than I'm thinking but I'm allowing for 3 months minimum.  We have back country skis and a split board.  Seattle sounds like chaos.

I feel for the people that arrived at any resort in the last few days.  Our immediate neighbors got in last night.

Stay safe.  Lives definitely depend on it.

North Idaho still open with precautionary measures;

'' ''

COVID-19 Statement from Tom Chasse, Schweitzer President & CEO 

March 15, 2020 Update

The COVID-19 crisis is an evolving situation and at this point, we are taking extensive precautions to protect our guests & staff from the spread of the virus. We hope to continue operating until our closing date of April 12 but please continue to check in with us for updates as this situation progresses.

Here are some other precautionary actions being taken (many of which help limit large gatherings of people):

We are no longer accepting new lodging reservations.  (We plan to honor all existing reservations.)

We are no longer selling advance purchase lift tickets or Spring Fling Passes online.

We are removing/limiting seating in large venues like the Lakeview Lodge and Chimney Rock to increase spacing/social distancing

F&B options like the salad bar, breakfast buffet and burrito bar are being closed.

All season-long ski school programs and school group programs are done for the season.

We have canceled all live music in Taps for the remainder of the season.

The Stomp Games Banked Slalom has been canceled.

The annual Season Passholder Appreciation Party has been canceled.

The summit Easter Sunrise Service has been canceled.

Maximum attendance in our Day Care facility will be cut in half.

We will have increased access to cleaning/hygiene products for guest/employee use at all outlets.

The Caribou Room will be open on a daily basis to allow for extra spacing.

All Guest Services interactions will be moving to the outside ticket windows.

March 10, 2020 (updated 3/13/2020)

With concerns over the spread of the Coronavirus touching close to home in our neighboring state of Washington, we encourage our Schweitzer employees and guests to adhere to the recommendations suggested by the CDC and other healthcare professionals (Panhandle Health District, Bonner County Health, or your local healthcare provider.) While there are no confirmed cases in North Idaho at this time, we feel it's imperative to be informed and aware of how our actions can help in the fight against its spread.

The health and well-being of our guests and employees is our top priority and we are in touch with the Panhandle Health District on a regular basis for updates and information particular to our area.  We have stepped up our normal cleaning procedures around the resort to include housekeeping in all lodging units, custodial efforts in public restrooms and spaces and we follow all standards for food handling.

We have cancelled the remaining social events for Prime Timers (our local seniors group) knowing that they are a high risk group.  We’ve relaxed our cancellation policies in lodging in an effort to work with concerned individuals and groups that had booked several months ago but are now affected by this pandemic.  Please contact Schweitzer's 24 hour reservation desk directly with any questions concerning a current reservation. 

We have had several outside organizations cancel their fundraising events which required indoor space and a large gathering of people.  Our plan is to continue our winter operations (lifts, tubing, snowshoeing, Nordic & alpine skiing) while we continue to monitor CDC/WHO recommendations. As this situation is rapidly evolving, we will adjust our operations plan accordingly.  

During lift operation hours, Schweitzer's first aid room is staffed by a Bonner General Hospital nurse and our on-site first responders are confident in providing any immediate care necessary on site. Schweitzer takes the spread of this virus very seriously and our management team has mandated CDC protocols be followed in all departments. The CDC states that the best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, the following everyday preventative actions are highly recommended:

Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.

Stay home when you are sick.

Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.

Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.

Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask:

CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.

Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to  others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility.)

Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.  If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.

For information about handwashing, see CDC’s Handwashing website

For information specific to healthcare, see CDC’s Hand Hygiene in Healthcare Settings

These are everyday habits that can help prevent the spread of several viruses. CDC does have specific guidance for travelers. For more information from the CDC, visit their COVID-19 website

Thank you for your patience as we navigate through this global health issue.

Tom Chasse
Schweitzer President & CEO

RCR stood down all their resorts for a week from Sunday Mar 15. I bet they don't reopen. I'm happy that I got a good day at Nakiska yesterday. Whitefish also closed, so much for Beerfest this year.

Louise, Sunshine and Castle look like they're still open. Wondering if I should take a vacation day this week and hit Louise while I still have the chance .. although everyone expects Trudeau to declare a federal state of emergency tonight (3/16) and close all non essential services.

Fun times indeed.

Gas is 65.9 a litre so not all bad. Pretty much every provincial service is closed  ( schools, museums etc etc ) and Toronto restaurants are heading to take out only. Idiots are stockpiling TP, flour, water, canned goods etc. Skiing is shut down in every direction. Interesting that BC,s medical officer of health says skiing is ok take the family and enjoy but they are still closing. Back country bootlegging is going to be the new thing. Might have to stock  up the doomsday cabin an lock myself in !

All sit down dining in Denver is discontinued for 8 weeks. Take out of delivery only. 

And Lovey closed for the season.  With 2 months to go.  During 2 of the snowiest months of the year.

Mario

Was supposed to fly out to Denver this Wednesday. We had to cancel all our reservations. Since my wife's sister lives near Denver we were not out the cost of lodging. My wife is very close to her sister, so she suggested we do two trips to Colorado next season, one in December, one in March. That takes some of the sting out of this...

• Like 1

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-may-make-millions-of-americans-sick-but-we-only-have-about-100000-ventilators/

To help you understand the stats around the whole heap of trouble the USA is in. 538 is a USA based, reasonably politically neutral, and has some of the best writers around to make statistics accessible.

The article may also help with linking your behaviour as an individual and the effect that has on your country/society as a whole. Not all doom and gloom.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-may-make-millions-of-americans-sick-but-we-only-have-about-100000-ventilators/

To help you understand the stats around the whole heap of trouble the USA is in. 538 is a USA based, reasonably politically neutral, and has some of the best writers around to make statistics accessible.

The article may also help with linking your behaviour as an individual and the effect that has on your country/society as a whole. Not all doom and gloom.

image.png.2a4980082f446a62191cb3bb65782d17.png

I'll say it again, I will give up my upper middle class hobby if it can keep others away from the hospital and not dead.

I've been through 3 wars (OK fine, I can't remember 1982 - too young, but the other 2 were crap) and I can tell you the feeling is very similar except you don't have the missiles falling around you. Stop bitching and go ride your bike!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 8:30 PM, Jack M said:

I am at Winter Park with my daughter for USSA Moguls Junior Nationals. They completed the singles events yesterday and today. Tomorrow was supposed to be duals, which is her better event, but the whole mountain will be shut down. A vacation to remember.

We fly home Monday. Who wants a hug?

Darn.

My daughter and I were supposed to fly to Denver last weekend, but drove to Utah instead.  We caught the "last lift" so to speak for the season at Snowbird and are wondering if even that was wise.  What times.  Safe travels.

• Like 1

Just seen a new horror of this pandemic. Personal protective equipment training for our all anaesthesia department staff today. The viral filter masks don't seal if you have any significant beard.

Just fully seen a number of my male colleagues faces for the first time ever!😲

I have taught sports now for well over 40 years.

it’s always been my opinion that safety of the participants should be one of the most important directives in any sport. Even if that safety involves discussing social distancing, sanitizing, and anything else to protect yourself from bodily Injury or sickness.

therefore discussions like this should probably remain in areas where they will be seen by the most members.    

if we were discussing what high performance carburetor we like to use to get to the mountains I totally understand things would be put in this forum but this particular situation it’s an exception.

In no way do I say this to undermine Jack, or to support Barryj it’s just that I think this is an exceptional Situation .

and toBarryj in particular . The drive to Mammoth from Orange county is about six hours.

The drive to Brian Head Utah is about 7 hours.

ikon and epic pass holders get a discount along lift tickets about $35. Furthermore the base elevation in Brian ahead is the highest in Itah making corn snow and mashed potatoes A non issue at the bottom or simply a better ratio of packed powder to slush at the bottom .

lodging around that area is very affordable- and I am considering splitting costs near the mountain and making a carving condo. 
text me at 347-263-7238

@John Gilmour, nobody should be looking to a snowboarding forum for medical advice unrelated to snowboarding.  The Lodge is the appropriate place for this discussion.  This does not mean it's not worthy of attention.  The Lodge is not a lesser forum.  It's simply a place to discuss anything of interest that doesn't fit into the other forums.

There are many ways to use this website.  Some people bookmark the "Unread Content" or "All Activity" links under the Activity tab at the top.  They access the site that way in order to see everything across all forums.  Others simply monitor the "Latest Topics" sidebar on the right to see new stuff across all forums except the Ride Board.  If some people are ignoring The Lodge, that's their prerogative and they accept that they might be missing interesting discussion.